Welding Cast Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding Cast Metal?

My wife really wants me to find a fix for this handle...it is a crank for a big backyard umbrella that goes over our patio table. The company that made the table and umbrella is out of business, and we haven’t been able to find a similar replacement piece.

Do you think something like this can be welded? It appears to be cast. The handle material is not very thick.

I’m afraid gorilla tape, JB weld, or super glue are not going to cut it for this one...

Welder friend of mine said cast is really hard to weld. I have a cast grill grate that cracked, and asked if he could repair it. He said yes, but it will likely crack again

Comment

thats not cast iron. Its some kind of pot metal. A weld solution is highly doubtful.

Comment

Looks like cast aluminum to me.

Comment

That looks like pot metal. If so, there's nothing you can do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            Looks like cast aluminum to me.

That's what I was thinking. If so, a good aluminum feller can do it. It won't look like new. But would be usable. Few other cracks in there that need attention too. Even if it's cast iron, that should be doable. Just have to preheat before tig welding with a high Nichol based rod.

I used to get people bring me all kinds of stuff off the street, out a all kinds of materials.

Comment

I think your best bet would be to have someone fabricate a whole new handle out of mild steel.
              Last edited by wickll; 07-11-2020, 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

About the only fix I see is to drill some holes into the head, stick some rods into it then fill the whole thing with JB weld.

Comment

You could probably super glue it to hold it in place and then use “minute mend” to fix it.

Comment

Post some pictures of the umbrella where it attaches. It looks like the handle just threads on. If so, you could buy a carbon steel nut to fit the umbrella and fabricate a steel handle to weld to the nut.

Comment

3D printer

Comment

Window crank from a 60-70 Dodge

Comment

Get a piece of plate and cut it to shape drill it and thread it and make your own

Comment

If you know the brand you may be able to find replacement parts for it on the great ole internet

Comment

I bet you could find one on Amazon. Maybe you could find a nut and weld it to a piece of metal and paint it.

Comment

Working...
                              X