• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flounder Regulation Changes TPWD

TPWD Sets Public Scoping Meetings to Gather Input on Flounder Regulations
    Dec. 2, 2019
    Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
    News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN- The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is seeking public input on potential changes to the recreational and commercial flounder fishery for the 2020-2021 license year.

TPWD is considering a wide variety of tools for helping manage flounder populations. The Coastal Fisheries Division’s resource monitoring data shows a long-term population decline for flounder. Although there were substantial changes made to flounder regulations in 2009 and 2014, these regulations only yielded small short term improvements.

Overall, there is a long-term decline in both recreational and commercial landings. Therefore, tools like a decrease in the bag limit, an increase in the minimum size limit, area closures, time closures, and gear restrictions are being considered.

Scoping meetings are being held on the coast for the public to attend to voice their opinions and ask questions. If you are unable to attend, please send your feedback to cfish@tpwd.texas.gov.

PUBLIC MEETINGS
    Date Times Location
    Tues. Dec. 10 6:30-9pm Bowers Civic Center
    3401 Cultural Center Dr.
    Port Arthur, TX 77642
    Tues. Dec. 10 6:30-9pm TAMU CC NRC Room 1003
    6300 Ocean Dr.
    Corpus Christi, TX 78412
    Tues. Dec. 10 6:30-9pm College of the Mainland
    Learning Resources Bldg #8,
    Teaching Auditorium L-131
    1200 Amburn Road
    Texas City, TX 77591
    Wed. Dec 11 6:30-9pm Aransas County Navigation District
    911 Navigation Circle
    Rockport, TX 78382
    Wed. Dec.11 6:30-9pm USDA Bauer Building
    186 Henry Barber Way
    Port Lavaca, TX 77979

Hopefully the right changes are made to stop the population decline!

Comment

Sounds like I better book a gig trip soon!

Comment

TP&W
        What a joke....

Comment

I knew this was coming....

Comment

It was a **** good year for the flatfish this year. Most I’ve ever seen/caught. Guess I’ll put my flounder boat project on hold for a bit.

Comment

Cut back commercial fishing, if anything.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                Cut back commercial fishing, if anything.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                Hate to take away someone’s livelihood, but it worked for trout and reds.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                  Hate to take away someone’s livelihood, but it worked for trout and reds.
                  Contrary to popular belief, hardly any fin fish license’s left, fishing pressure is not the problem, habitat loss is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                    Contrary to popular belief, hardly any fin fish license’s left, fishing pressure is not the problem, habitat loss is.
                    Yessir

Comment

Strange how more people and guides are catching and gigging more flounder than ever, but TPWD says they are still in decline.

Where are they doing their surveys?

Comment

How are they basing their study? The limits have been reduced so much, how can they have an accurate study compared to the high limits of the past?

Comment

Wow

Comment

Supposedly they do boat ramp surveys. We flounder POC quite a bit and have never been surveyed. Friend with a guide who gigs almost nightly and has never seen a survey setup. Don’t know where they are getting their info but this year the back lakes were full of little flounder and we have been thinking the population has been rising the last 5 years. Even rod and reel fisherman that hardly ever caught one all summer are now catching them almost every trip. Weird

Comment

CCA motivated, they have a full time advocate on staff that advises TP&W on a regular basis

Comment

Working...
                              X