No announcement yet.

DIY chicken coop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking really nice! I need to upgrade the coop, originally built in when I only had 10 total. Now I have 7 laying hens, 1 rooster, 22-3 week old chicks we hatched and 4-2 week old silkie chicks I bought for my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
      Getting closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really good!

Comment

Still have one piece of trim to add, along with a wall vent, but she’s 99% complete. The run is next.

Comment

Thought I'd stop in and see how the deer blind is coming along. Look-n sharp Bro!

Noticed you added a timed pet-door too.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Thought I'd stop in and see how the deer blind is coming along. Look-n sharp Bro!

Noticed you added a timed pet-door too.

Thanks. Yeah, the hens we’re getting are already used to the automatic door, so it was a must. I’m going to be adding a little awning above the auto door where that piece of trim is, just to keep rain from getting in through the auto door.

Comment

Subscribed. I'm definitely going to be looking back on this when we pull the trigger on getting a few hens

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

With the price of lumber lately, those hens better produce a lot of eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                    With the price of lumber lately, those hens better produce a lot of eggs.

No kidding. Fortunately all of the plywood, 2x4’s, 4x4’s, & 4x6’s were a stash I had in the barn that was leftover from other projects. Had to buy the Smart siding, 1x4 trim, and the corrugated metal. Also had a big box of galvanized framing nails leftover from our cabin build 8 years ago. Would’ve been a $2k project if it weren’t for all of that.

Comment

I’ve had to work a couple of weekends and have had family obligations, but I was able to make time after work today to frame up the chicken run, aka the “hen pen”. Couldn’t bring myself to spend that much on lumber, so I bought treated 2x4’s and ripped them in half. I’ll put the hardware cloth on in the morning, then attach it to the coop. Almost there...

Comment

There just aren’t enough hours in a day...

Comment

Haven’t updated this thread in a while, but the girls are here and enjoying their new place. Overall, the coop & run turned out great. I’ll be tweaking a few things via trial & error, but it’s essentially complete. Also, they love ice cold sweet corn.

Comment

They look very content there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedevil View Post
                              Just finished mine yesterday. Still have a few items to button up on it, but now the wife can pull the trigger on getting the chickens.

I'm about to build one like this. I only plan to have 2-3 chickens for now. Have to get started and see how long they last since every creature out here will be trying to eat them.

Do you guys lock them in the nesting area every night? That's what I figure I'll have to do.

Comment

can you take a picture of the timer and tell us how you set up the automatic door? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X