DIY Ranch Bridge build...progress!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Ranch Bridge build...progress!!

We kicked around a ton of ideas about a crossing that will last and yet be cost effective. By a complete stroke of luck I was speaking to a friend from high school and he just happens to manage a trucking company for another fella we went to school with and they had 2 decommissioned flatbeds on the yard that I COULD HAVE FOR FREE!

That alone saved a projected 3000.00 off the project, I contacted another friend that runs hotshot work and 900.00 later and extremely overweight and over length 40ft trailer and dodge pickup rolled into the driveway a few days later.(we paid the yard hands 200.00 to load them)

Once we got them unloaded which was more than a handful for a single JD tractor we started stripping them down the frame. Once stripped we could see all the issues and make a plan to fix them, today we plan on doing some welding repairs to some gussets and a good power washing followed by a heavy layer of Red Oxide paint on the first 53 footer!

Once both trailers are complete and in place that will form a bridge 16ft wide50ft long

For reference in this first picture is the crossing and those culverts are 36 inches tall. The plan is to install 6ft x 2ft x 2ft concrete bin blocks at a cost of 45.00 each (roughly 4000lbs each) an build footings on each end and in the middle building the whole crossing up 6 ft higher than it is and completely remove the current structure. The Southern side will be heavily armored with"Rip Rap" at a cost of 22.00 a yard.
    Attached Files

Nice!

Comment

Yes they work great. I use one on a creek crossing. Need another for the north creek.

Comment

Oh man I've been trying to get this done on the ranch we hunt and have a fairly interested landowner. I just haven't had the time to try and get materials sourced etc. I'm in for the finished pics

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this progress

Comment

Score!!

Comment

Great project.

Comment

They should work great. I have a railroad flt car across one here at the house.

-john

Comment

Wow...what a score! Those should surely do the job. Congrats.

Comment

In for the finished project

Comment

Awesome in for progress

Comment

Been looking for a scrap trailer like that for a bridge myself. If you happen to run across another one, please let me know.

Comment

Great idea Dale! Looking forward to seeing the finnished product.

Comment

We were able to get a little more work done today, If you remember one trailer was in two pieces so we had to play with a puzzle and piece it back together as tightly as possible and weld up the joint. When playing with puzzle pieces that weigh TONS it makes things interesting but we were able to get it surprisingly tight! Andy jumped in and went to work and a few hours later we had a whole trailer.

While he was welding up that one I was giving the other a good coating of Red Oxide paint and cutting it down to 48ft so that both would be identical in length. Hope fully in the next few days we can get the connection plates welded to them so they can be anchor bolted to the Concrete bin blocks that will be used to elevate them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                              Been looking for a scrap trailer like that for a bridge myself. If you happen to run across another one, please let me know.

I sure will, they are fairly easy to get from RB but you will pay 2500 to 5000 for them , the good part it is its a complete road ready trailer all you would need is a semi truck to haul bring it to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X