Making a 500 gallon propane tank mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a 500 gallon propane tank mobile

I wanted to get you guys opinion on an idea I have.

I currently live outside town and have 500 gallon buried propane tank buried beside my house and a 24kw propane generator already tied into the house. When we lost electricity during the recent storm the generator kicked on and ran fine for the 40 hours we lost electricity. The problem is our propane tank got down to 20% and I was concerned that I would run out and the propane delivery wasn't delivering. They are still backed up, only giving people 100 gallons to get them by until they can start their normal service.

I have an extra 500 gallon propane take behind my shop that I was going to make into a smoker. Now I'm thinking I'll put a small frame and trailer axle under it and have it full ready to go with regulator and a hose so I can pull it around and hook it into my house if my main take runs out.

I haven't worked out how to plumb a connection into my house to make this easy. I'm thinking I would need a shutoff to from my main tank after the regulator and some way to connect the new tank to the main line. I'm not sure what type of hose or flexible pipe would be best for this.
    Last edited by JTCowpoke; 02-19-2021, 12:19 PM.

I use hyrdaulic hose for my pear burner.
    I also have a dip tube to fill small bottles out of my big tank, and I use a hydraulic hose for the temporary fill hose.

Comment

Personally I would call In a professional,

Comment

Following

Comment

It has been my experience the propane companies will not fill a tank that has an axle and tires or simply sets on a trailer. If it will be pulled over the road. I understand you want the ability to simply move it from location to another on your property without going onto a road. I understand farm use LP trailers as well I understand DOT regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by MLAH View Post
            It has been my experience the propane companies will not fill a tank that has an axle and tires or simply sets on a trailer. If it will be pulled over the road. I understand you want the ability to simply move it from location to another on your property without going onto a road. I understand farm use LP trailers as well I understand DOT regulations.

We have them brought in to the plant all the time . 500 to 1000 use them for temporary flares .

Comment

Tanks are required to be installed on a firm foundation and can’t be mounted on a trailer. Only use LP approved pipping materials. Hydraulic hose is not intended for LP. You are allowed to make changes to your own system as long as a leak check in done after any connecting/re-connecting. Then again..... depending on where you live, there’s several companies that I know will put gas in a 5 gallon bucket as long as they are selling gas. I’ve seen a tank installation that was done by a prepped. He had the whole thing wrapped in camo and stuck in a bunch of trees. Their propane company filled it.

Comment

I would just have tank main tank filled 100% before storm blows in. 500 gallons should last quite a while I would think. I’m putting in a 36kw and 500 gallon tank soon should I go bigger on the tank?

Comment

Better hope your not in an accident going to or from the supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    I would just have tank main tank filled 100% before storm blows in. 500 gallons should last quite a while I would think. I’m putting in a 36kw and 500 gallon tank soon should I go bigger on the tank?
                    They'll only fill @ 80%...assuming for expansion/contraction.

Comment

My 24KW burns 2.5gal/hr at 50% load and 4 gallons per hour at 100% load. So 500 gallons totally full would be between 5-8 days. 20% less at 80% full tank.

Originally posted by doright View Post
                      Better hope your not in an accident going to or from the supplier.
                      I would hope they would fill it up when they fill my main tank. I would just keep it full after that. If I ever needed to use it and have it refilled I would just have them come fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by MLAH View Post
                        What about skids? I would only need to slide it a couple hundred feet. I could do that with my tractor.

Comment

Problem is getting topped off just before a storm, many want to do the same thing and gas company usually can’t get to everyone.

35 kw is going to drink gas faster than you think.

I considering a second 500 gal tank beside my existing with selector valve between them so I always have at least one full tank on standby.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Problem is getting topped off just before a storm, many want to do the same thing and gas company usually can’t get to everyone.

35 kw is going to drink gas faster than you think.

I considering a second 500 gal tank beside my existing with selector valve between them so I always have at least one full tank on standby.

I’m considering the same. I was originally going to have an above ground 500 gallon tank put in but due to objections from my wife [emoji57] I put in a 250 gallon below ground one instead and it cost almost as much as the 500 gallon above ground.

Knowing that fuel consumption on a fully loaded 22kw generator can run close to 4 gallons and hour I need a way to increase my capacity.

I’m also considering selling my 22kw Generac and upgrading to a 25 or 30kw Cummins unit that uses a liquid cooled 4 cylinder car engine and only runs at 1800 rpm instead of 3000+. Fuel consumption rate on the 30kw unit is only slightly higher than what I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              I’m considering the same. I was originally going to have an above ground 500 gallon tank put in but due to objections from my wife [emoji57] I put in a 250 gallon below ground one instead and it cost almost as much as the 500 gallon above ground.

Knowing that fuel consumption on a fully loaded 22kw generator can run close to 4 gallons and hour I need a way to increase my capacity.

I’m also considering selling my 22kw Generac and upgrading to a 25 or 30kw Cummins unit that uses a liquid cooled 4 cylinder car engine and only runs at 1800 rpm instead of 3000+. Fuel consumption rate on the 30kw unit is only slightly higher than what I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is what I'm looking at too. Bigger cash outlay up front, but better fuel/KW rating and that Cummins/Onan is built like a tank to last. Probably put in a 1000 gallon tank... not sure whether above or below ground yet on that part...

Comment

Working...
                              X