No announcement yet.

Cheap guns vs nice guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most expensive gun I own is a pistol. Never have killed anything with it. I shoot a $450 rifle (scope included) and went 63 consecutive shots without missing an animal right after I got it. I also shoot a rifle that retails for maybe $600 with a BSA "trash scope" on it and have killed critters past 300 yards with it. One coyote at 362 if I remember correctly and one at 367 and a jackrabbit at 400 yards. Hit one coyote through the ear and blew the rabbits head clear off. I'm not the best shot in the world but I don't feel that I need a $2,000 rifle to do that consistently. Not knocking those that have them but I don't need nothin like that.

I'm rough on equipment anyway so I really don't need to be banging anything high dollar around. Because I would.

If I were in your shoes I'd get the .308 or whatever's easiest to find ammo for.
    Last edited by okrattler; 11-12-2020, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I don’t disagree cheap guns shoot well enough to to do everything most hunters will ever need them to do. For the price of some of them you can buy two one just in case. I just can’t get past the cheap feel and plastic parts especially trigger guards on most of them. I prefer wood and blued steel and that is expensive to buy new today.

Comment

The axis and American just feel sloppy to me. I have a American ranch in 300bo. A t3 or m77 would be better options to me.

Comment

I say let your personality dictate your wants and needs. I have taken over a dozen elk, countless deer and antelope and predators with an old Interarms 270 and a $75 Tasco scope and out past 400 yds quite often having lived in Colorado and Montana most of my adult life.
          If you have the cash and want nicer then go for it, if you want to kill stuff and not worry about scratching up your equipment, buy something that is simple and works everytime.

Comment

Everything will be accurate with the right ammo and good glass... I buy almost nothing but Remington 700's ...
            I trick them out the way I like and there is nothing made ever
            That you can buy more aftermarket accessories for..
            The action is the benchmark for most others..
            I'm kinda partial lol but its true.. So easy it to into a Great 700 used
            And have a Great setup.. Spend as Big on glass as u can..
            Last edited by BigOh!; 11-13-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Price don't kill .Name brand don't either...Its YOU the HUNTER...(Human Error is major factor)

More deer are lost/missed due to BUCK FEVER and POOR Tracking skills ...than anything...Most hunters I been around that lost deer can't even take me to the spot the deer was standing when they shot...(other than OVER THERE)
              Gun Brands/ Calibers/Ammo brands and Scope sight in are excuses...sure there's exceptions but not the general rule

Know your Tool Bow or Gun /calm down ..And if it can hit a paper plate at the range you choose to pull trigger...Dead Dear now find it and rejoice

My fst HP rifle was 303 British.with open sights $19.99 military surp... it could barely hit a plate at 100y so I always took close shots.It did me well for several years
              l

Comment

In my experience, I have a safe full of ‘out of the box’ rifles that are never used. As my interest in mountain style hunting became a passion, so did bench shooting, and so did the desire for custom rifles. If I was to lay a custom rifle and a ‘out of the box’ rifle next to each other on the bench, the differences would be EXTREMELY obvious. Saying that, sure 300 yard max an ‘out of the box’ rifle is just fine. You could also go purchase a Kia and know it will get you to and from work. Just know its a Kia, its cheaper, because its cheaper.

Comment

I honestly think good optics are way more important then the brand of a gun. Just about all guns will shoot good nowadays you have to find the right recipe.

Comment

Savage, and .25-06; because I have experience with both. Have had several Rugers and they're good rifles but got tired of carrying them around, just too heavy. Heard lots of good things about Tikka and Sako, never ponied up the money for one. Had one Browning in .270 but it shot badly.
                    My main rifle is a Savage 110 in .270, only because I couldn't find one in .25-06. I just don't believe there's a better shooting rifle out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                      As my interest in mountain style hunting became a passion, so did bench shooting, and so did the desire for custom rifles.
                      I agree. Use the best shooting rifle you own.

I use my target rifle setup as my hunting rifle every season.

IMHO a good portion of making a clean, ethical shot is confidence. I shoot my long rifle weekly and am confident that the bullet will land where I aim it.
                      Last edited by howabouttheiris; 11-13-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I just like nice guns, the fit and finish tends to go up as the price goes up. Often times you get some form of accuracy guarantee also which is comforting even though some of the lower end rifles shoot lights out as well. Most of my shots are under 200 yards as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's always middle ground. The weatherby vanguard synthetics are extremely accurate and not much more than a "cheap one" but waaaaaay less than a Tika. Weatherby guarantees sub MOA out of the box. You can find the vanguard in various calibers right at $500.

Comment

I tend to find when people claim cheep is as good as high end they are only interested in minute of deer accuracy. If that’s all you want then anything will work. Better shooters know you need better equipment. That model 70 mentioned above should be laying rounds on top of each other. Should be a much better than 1 moa gun. But to need a good tool you need to practice with it otherwise don’t waste your money. Customs and high end are for the serious shooters.

Minute of deer only needs to work. I also notice, These are usually the guys calling for a tracking dog.

Comment

I don’t really go cheap, but I do have utilitarian vs range toy. Ruger ss/lam Hawkeye 30-06 gets hunted and hauled and bloodied. Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 30-06 only goes to the range in between being dry humped and drooled on.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                                i don’t really go cheap, but i do have utilitarian vs range toy. Ruger ss/lam hawkeye 30-06 gets hunted and hauled and bloodied. Weatherby mark v deluxe 30-06 only goes to the range in between being dry humped and drooled on.
                                hahahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X