Meat mixer or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat mixer or not?

I have been mixing all my meat by hands when making any type of sausage whether it be breakfast sausage, link sausage or summer sausage. I have been contemplating get a 25 lb meat mixer since I usually make batches at the rate of 25 lbs at a time. I thought about the manual mixer but was not sure if it was necessary and to just continue mixing by hand.

So my questions is do you use a meat mixer or mix by hand?

Thanks,
    Kp143631

Hands never had a mixer was always the kids jobs

Comment

The real shops have one and I think there are a couple benefits in that you can do bigger batches, and you don’t risk warming the mix while ensuring uniformity. And not freeze your hands off. I don’t have one but it’s on my list when I get some more space to fill up with stuff (as my wife might describe it)
      I mix by hand but don’t like it, maybe a good job for the kids
      But in summary yes it should improve your finished product I’d say.

Comment

I grind my meat cold. Painfully cold to hand mix, so I used my mixer

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
          I grind my meat cold. Painfully cold to hand mix, so I used my mixer
          I usually cut my meat up and then stick in the freezer for about 1-2 hours before grinding to get it good and cold. I also but my grinder parts in the freezer before using them as well. This helps keep the meat colder. I put on cotton gloves then a pair of latex gloves over them while mixing to minimize my hands freezing.

Comment

I grind all my meat together with seasoning on them before I grind.
            I have never needed a mixer.
            I am sure they work great though.

Comment

They work good. And probably do a little more uniform mixing than is normally accomplished by hand. I cube my meat and mix in the pork and seasoning in a manual 25 lb. mixer. the meat is chilled, sometimes to a light frost, and grinds well that way. And you don't get frostbite handling it.

Comment

I hated cleaning a mixer. Hands only for me. Get some thermal bbq gloves and then cover with some larger surgical or kitchen gloves.

Comment

I use one and they are great. It mixes way better than by hand.

Comment

Just one more thing to clean up.....

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
                      I usually cut my meat up and then stick in the freezer for about 1-2 hours before grinding to get it good and cold. I also but my grinder parts in the freezer before using them as well. This helps keep the meat colder. I put on cotton gloves then a pair of latex gloves over them while mixing to minimize my hands freezing.

Im curious as to why you go to this extent just to grind meat? Ive ran quite a few deer through a grinder that just come out of an ice chest and they were plenty cold. Even may take an hr from the time it leaves the cooler until the time it goes back in (or in the freezer depends where im at) and never a problem. Anyway im just curious your reasoning. Maybe theres something to learn here.

As for the mixer, its on my list of wants. But I feel if youre going to get one you might as well get a 100# hopper at minimum or it wont be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I do up to 50 pound batches.

For me it's another item to clean and store, although I still have to clean the coolers that I use for mixing.

I do believe it would be a nice addition but I'm going to make my next investment be an electric stuffer.

Comment

I made sausage weekly when I had a meat market and never had a mixer. I seasoned the meat and mixed before grinding. Nice to have but just another expense and more cleanup.

Comment

It’s sure nice to get meat mixed evenly. I always have a PILE of crap to clean up when processing…..what’s one more!

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
                              I have been mixing all my meat by hands when making any type of sausage whether it be breakfast sausage, link sausage or summer sausage. I have been contemplating get a 25 lb meat mixer since I usually make batches at the rate of 25 lbs at a time. I thought about the manual mixer but was not sure if it was necessary and to just continue mixing by hand.

So my questions is do you use a meat mixer or mix by hand?

Thanks,
                              Kp143631
                              If you make 25 lb batches get a 50 lb mixer.

Comment

Working...
                              X