X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot them in the cavity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=rolylane6;16504132]I'm not sure he was suggesting it was "they" that were on the peyote. [emoji848]

That was pretty obvious.

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I know i was being a smart aleck. It don't matter to me if people believe it or not. My best suggestion for any doubters is spend less time in front of a computer and grab a box of the bullets I used and have at it. Just figured I'd warn people of what I've experienced before they decided to load these up and have their kid shoot their first deer with them. But it'll give some tracking dog some exercise if they doubt it.

I didn't post it as a debate. I kill quite a few animals every year. Enough to know what a good bullet is and what ain't.

Winchester Varmint X bullets in 22-250 have their place. Just not shooting coyotes. They'd be great for exploding prairie dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        Shoot them in the cavity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        For sure. Which I killed 3 more using these bullets and they never twitched. One was at around 75 yards and I hit it as it was running away. I hit it as it was jumping through corn stalks. Hit it between the shoulder blades and dumped it instantly. One I hit high in the shoulder and the other was right behind the shoulder. I clipped bone and it tore the hide and exposed the shoulder bone and blew the hide up clear into its back. Massive hole.

Which tells me these do fine if you stay away from bone. The problem though is that I save fur. Which won't be everyone's concern but all but 1 were pretty tore up. Enough to where a fur buyer wouldn't be interested in buying them. I'll be switching back to Remington 55 grain Softpoints. Every now and then those will tear one up but for the most part they've done pretty well for me as well as my favorite bullet which is a Hornady 52 grain BTHP.
        Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Them boys from Oklahoma shoot their yotes all wrong

I can't make too much fun, I have shot and watched more run off than I care to admit

Comment

I thought about taking a picture of the first one that you could see through but I didn't. If I did I couldn't post it. Not only does that stuff make me feel bad but it would make hunters as a whole look bad if I did that. I just finished it off and got it over and done with.

I don't like nothin to suffer. That's not what I'm about. I'll probably end up shooting the rest of those bullets up at skunks and prairie dogs.
            Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

The ones I have shot never ran off. 300 mag though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                The ones I have shot never ran off. 300 mag though!!
                That's what one of my buddies uses. He's not really worried about saving fur.

That thing sounds like a cannon going off. And it hits like one too.

Comment

I just don't want anyone to misinterpret this as a "look at what I did." thread. I wanted people to take note of what happened so that it doesn't happen to anyone else. Because I'll be honest with you when I saw that coyote blown up the way it was and looking up at me I felt like a sorry SOB. That'll make you feel pretty crappy.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 05:43 PM.

Comment

You keep those zombie coyotes up in Oklahoma!

Comment

That would be a crazy afternoon. I have had frustrating days, where critters won't die, but nothing that crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        That would be a crazy afternoon. I have had frustrating days, where critters won't die, but nothing that crazy.
                        My buddy couldn't believe it either. When I shot the coyote with the shotgun I asked him how good he thought I hit it. I couldn't tell because I only weigh 160 pounds so it kicks pretty good when you're shooting a pump gun and 3" buckshot sitting on the ground so I couldn't exactly tell where I was hitting. From what I could see I didn't notice any pellets hitting around the coyote. My buddy said "He was in that bare spot and other than the dirt he kicked up I didn't see your pattern hit around him. He was hit in the chest and shoulder for sure but I don't know where else he was hit. But you weren't missing." According to my buddy I hit that coyote every time. They were all shocking but that one really surprised me.

That's the only coyote that I can recall that I've shot with a shotgun and it ran away. Not to say that I'm good I think I've just been lucky up until this point. I couldn't believe it.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 06:30 PM.

Comment

So did y’all have a good mushroom crop this year in OK. ?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            I know i was being a smart aleck. It don't matter to me if people believe it or not. My best suggestion for any doubters is spend less time in front of a computer and grab a box of the bullets I used and have at it. Just figured I'd warn people of what I've experienced before they decided to load these up and have their kid shoot their first deer with them. But it'll give some tracking dog some exercise if they doubt it.

I didn't post it as a debate. I kill quite a few animals every year. Enough to know what a good bullet is and what ain't.

Winchester Varmint X bullets in 22-250 have their place. Just not shooting coyotes. They'd be great for exploding prairie dogs.
                            I was just yanking your chain too. Keep bustin' them yotes!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                              That was pretty obvious.
                              Obviously[emoji57]

Last edited by rolylane6; 11-13-2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                                I was just yanking your chain too. Keep bustin' them yotes!

Oh no it's all good. I ain't upset about anything anyone has said. I just thought it was a crazy deal. Of course I've seen tough coyotes before. I've known they're tough. I guess just never that many in one day. That was wild!

When the one jumped off the tailgate my buddy was sitting in the truck. He said "What were you doing back there? It sounded like something was scratching the hell out of my pickup. And why were you shooting from the hip like a cowboy?"LOL

I didn't have time to aim. When it got its feet under it that sucker hauled balls.
                                Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X