Headlight aiming near Tyler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight aiming near Tyler?

I have some new headlights for the Tacoma. Old ones are oxidized bad.

Problem is that the new ones need "aimed" to optimize them.

I have the instructions to do it against a wall on flat ground but a machine is more precise

Problem is, I don't know anywhere that has one (I have asked a few inspection stations and body shops)

If anybody knows where they have a machine AND somebody that can efficiently operate it, let me know.
    Otherwise I will break out the tape measure, tape and tools and get it as close as possible

u need a time machine go back 30 years

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
      u need a time machine go back 30 years
      Apparently there are still a few places that do it but not very common

I doubt I will find one but until you ask you can't be certain

I am old enough to remember when you got your yearly vehicle inspection the machines they used

Guess I could just crank them up until I can see good and then just adjust them down until I quit getting flashed

Comment

My first guess would be a body shop, but you have already tried that- they have to have the equipment, they replace hundreds of headlights. Maybe they just don't want to do the alignment without selling the headlight?

Comment

For my time and $, I'd just find a wall and a tape measure.

Comment

I did it on a wall, then drove it down a back road to see if it was what I thought it should be and adjusted a bit. Seems to have worked as I see much better and don't appear to upset other drivers.

Comment

If the old ones are still on the truck, use a wall and mark the beam location with painter's tape or something. Install the new ones and adjust to the tape on the wall.

Comment

Years ago, the state decided that headlight adjustment was not important, so it got dropped from the state inspections. When that happened, 98% of the shops out there got rid of their headlight machines. I have not seen one in probably 25 years.

I have been adjusting headlights for years, by parking in front of a wall or garage door, on flat ground, then adjusting them. I will admit I had one car, I could not get adjusted very well with that method. Then one night on the way home, it was pretty foggy. Where we lived the driveway was about 1/2 mile long. I could see exactly where both headlights were pointing in the fog. So I just stopped in the driveway, got out and adjusted the headlights. I was finally able to get them adjusted properly. Most of the time, I can get them adjusted very well pointing them at a wall. That car I could not.

Maybe park the car on a dark flat road, then go set a some grenade about 30 yards out in front of the truck. People will be wondering what in the hell is going on, but I bet it would work. Safer than parking on a public road, the next time it's foggy, then getting out and adjusting your headlights. Then you don't have to wait for a foggy night, just make your own fog, smoke, ECT.

Yes, I have come up with crazy methods for diagnosing or finding problems on cars over the years. You should be around, when I am looking for boost leaks, that can get loud.

Comment

About to swap them out

Looks like the wall and tape measure method will most likely be used

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                    If the old ones are still on the truck, use a wall and mark the beam location with painter's tape or something. Install the new ones and adjust to the tape on the wall.
                    This is what I do. No tape measure needed.

Comment

Does Goggins not do that?
                      Right across from TSC.
                      If not I'll tell Jesse he needs to start adding some equipment lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        Does Goggins not do that?
                        Right across from TSC.
                        If not I'll tell Jesse he needs to start adding some equipment lol.
                        I did not call them
                        It is kind of an old school thing in the US, low demand I am sure.
                        There is no aiming requirement for new vehicles either as far as I can tell.
                        Probably why half of the new cars blind you whether oncoming or following

I got everything swapped out, just waitng on dark

For the ones saying mark a line and then swap, I am not so sure they are adjusted high enough now. And I want to get as much illumination as possible without blinding others

Comment

You live in East Texas, the right one needs to be aimed toward the ditch so you can avoid the **** hogs !

Comment

I use these guys for my DIY car repairs

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek3189 View Post
                              you live in east texas, the right one needs to be aimed toward the ditch so you can shoot deer at night !
                              fify

Comment

Working...
                              X