Wireless Tower lease??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Tower lease??

Just today, I received a letter in the mail asking if I would be interested in leasing my land for a wireless tower.

So I thought I would ask the TBH brain trust if anyone has leased there land and allowed a company to put a cell phone tower on there place?

If so, what should I be warned about? Going rate? Special clauses?

A little about my land. It is 17 ac just outside the city limits with an Ag Exemption. Most of it is row cropped,(milo or cotton the last few years). I have about 2 acres wooded, and I killed a deer with my bow off of it for the first time last year.

One concern I have would be the loss of my Ag Exemption.

Anyone have experience with this?

Did they give you an estimate on what they will pay? Will the tower increase the property value and what impact will it be on your current property taxes? You will have to permit 24/7 access to Property by all Employees/Contractors of the Cell Phone Company. For how many Years will the Lease Contract be for? Just a few things to think about. Good Luck

Comment

How much land do they need? Most tower I have seen are close to the road and only have a small footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
        Did they give you an estimate on what they will pay? Will the tower increase the property value and what impact will it be on your current property taxes? You will have to permit 24/7 access to Property by all Employees/Contractors of the Cell Phone Company. For how many Years will the Lease Contract be for? Just a few things to think about. Good Luck
        Thanks for the reply. I haven't received any of the details yet. Just that they want to discuss. I am not sure that in the end they will be interested. This land is in the flood plain (actually considered to be in the "flood way"). But flood waters really just back up onto the land. So I am somewhat limited in what I can do with it.

But it is good farmland, has a little potential for hunting. I have been considering selling it. But I will keep it if I can get a little easy income from it for years to come.

Comment

About 10 years ago if I remember right I believe they offered me 1700.00 a month, this was a radio tower I believe. I decided not to do it

Comment

My mother has one on her land. It’s only been on a few months and I think currently pays $1k a month. From what she tells me, when more cell services attach to the tower you get paid more. A ton of housing development will be going around that property here in the next few years, so we will see.

Comment

The one they wanted to put on my property was going to take about 70’x70’ footprint. They started off offering 1k a month for a 20 year lease. It sounded good at first but then I started doing some research.

The reason I decided was it doesn’t add value to the land but actually deducts it. The lease would be between me and them which would have caused a challenge with rights if I decided to sell the land. It would have had to be renegotiated with new owner but didn’t want to dig that deep on what that would look like. Also it was recommended that you have an attorney represent you. These folks are professionals at writing the contract for their benefit and you will be stuck with 20 years of whatever they wrote. I didnt have the time to hire an attorney before they were ready to move forward or move on.

Lastly, and the biggest concern I had was the conversations about the possibility of them causing cancer. I only have 5 acres and the site would have been right next to where my barnominium where my daughter lives. I just didn’t feel easy about it so opted to not allow it.

Comment

TKC, the land devaluation is probably one of my biggest concerns. But I agree that a lawyer would be in order. I haven't heard about the cancer concern but will need to research that. I am not concerned for myself, but definitely concerned for neighbors.

One of the reasons they might want to use this land is that it is just outside the city limits. I am assuming that prevents a lot of red tape and restrictions for them.

Thanks

Comment

for 1000 a monthI can't imagine it would worth it

Comment

You might want to search this forum for "wireless tower". This topic has been discussed alot.

Comment

Google “cell tower leases” and you will find lots of info.

Don’t forget to let us know what you wind up doing.

Comment

I have 2 right on 45 that the remainder and one is leased out for farm land, the other is right inside a pasture gate and for me it’s a good deal.

Comment

what happens after 20yrs?
                          renegotiate? they quit paying? how is that supposed to work....?

Comment

Towers are going away. They want all of us on WiFi. Easier to watch over the lemmings...

Comment

Why would you lose your ag exemption? I see lots of towers on farm and ranches that have fences around their footprint and still farm all around or have cows.

Comment

Working...
                              X