Got a little corn dust in my feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
    So THAT is where the screen name came from!

Like you, I'd be hesitant to throw through my spinners. Little bit of moisture and you've got a mess on your hands. Cool deal.
    Beat me to it...

Comment

If you've ever gotten cracked corn from the feed mill, you'll find it has a lot of dust in it. I used to get it free. And would dump 45 gallon trash cans full at a lease next to the feeders. Deer, hogs, and quail loved it. I also used it around my hog holes. But it was hard keeping the deer off it. It was like Crack, (cracked corn).

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        Hahahahahahaa!! All y'all WRONG!!

That is not weevil dust! It is diatomaceous earth! There are NO weevils in my corn! Trust me on this! The diatomaceous earth was mixed in when we filled the barrels. The corn in the bag in my shed, it is loaded with weevils, but not this.

So, technically, the dust is corn and diatomaceous earth. It is so thick about half of what comes out is corn and the rest is dust. I just increased the spin time.

And Ramrod - We figured out it was $1300 of corn. It only takes 15-20 minutes to clean a barrel of corn, so yeah, I'll take my free corn and clean it.

Good luck...

Comment

This
          Originally posted by Radar View Post
          Weevil dust

Comment

Maybe the thread title is a little misleading, because there isn't any dust in her feeder, but it's not weevil dust. Here is the thread of when she got it from the farmer the week it was harvested. I think some of y'all must have forgotten or maybe you are envious of all the free corn she got

It's really sad how negative TBH has become. It used to be a thread like this would garner compliments on a clever and cheap way to clean corn that was harvested from the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
              Maybe the thread title is a little misleading, because there isn't any dust in her feeder, but it's not weevil dust. Here is the thread of when she got it from the farmer the week it was harvested. I think some of y'all must have forgotten or maybe you are envious of all the free corn she got

It's really sad how negative TBH has become. It used to be a thread like this would garner compliments on a clever and cheap way to clean corn that was harvested from the field.

I did not comment on this thread until now. Your sister is very well respected by all of the members who know of her on TBH.

I read the same comments you did and I did not see what you saw in the post. I am still confused because I do not remember the original post. I get it now. And yes that was cool she has free corn and a very cool way to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                Hahahahahahaa!! All y'all WRONG!!

That is not weevil dust! It is diatomaceous earth! There are NO weevils in my corn! Trust me on this! The diatomaceous earth was mixed in when we filled the barrels. The corn in the bag in my shed, it is loaded with weevils, but not this.

So, technically, the dust is corn and diatomaceous earth. It is so thick about half of what comes out is corn and the rest is dust. I just increased the spin time.

And Ramrod - We figured out it was $1300 of corn. It only takes 15-20 minutes to clean a barrel of corn, so yeah, I'll take my free corn and clean it.
                Im right there with ya! Id take all the free corn i could get and gladly put the work in to do what you are doing. Well worth the time investment in my opinion.

Comment

Diatomaceous earth is a type of powder made from the sediment of fossilized algae found in bodies of water. Because the cells of these algae were high in a compound called silica, the dried sediment produced from these fossils are also very high in silica.

hell if I know....

Comment

I had to google it!!!!

Comment

Got a little corn dust in my feeder

Originally posted by Pistol View Post

Maybe the title is a little misleading? You think? The title says dust. If a person hadn’t seen the thread or forgot, everybody would say it looks like weevil dust because it does. Not every thread is read by everybody so it happens. It was just a wrong guess as to what kind of dust. It’s not negative to Dusty Britches. It looks like weevil dust…. Hell I thought she didn’t know what kind of dust it was and was telling/showing us how she cleaned it up. That’s it.

You’re making a mountain out of a mole hill.
                      Last edited by Smart; 08-31-2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Did you use a fan when screening the corn ? It will help blow the powder away.

Comment

No wonder your Britches are Dusty.

Comment

Now we know !!

Comment

Looks like a good result to me. I don’t think you’ll have an issue with it in the feeder at all.

I was curious why they mix in DE with the corn so I broke out the google… apparently it works well for weevil control/prevention. Learn something new every day. Maybe throw some of that dust in with the corn in your shed!

Comment

I am pretty sure if the dust is created by weevil dust, you will see small holes bored in the kernels. We used to deal with weevils all the time, when we lived down on the coast, they got into everything. I helped an old farmer clean out his silo one year, there was a few thousand pounds of corn left in the bottom of his silo, it was all covered in weevils, and rats. We had to kill the thousands of rats first, then shovel the corn. We locked our selves in the silo, and went to killing rats with shovels, and stomping them with our boots. They would make a black wave across the top of the corn, when they were running. We had so many rats up you our legs, on our back, shoulders, and we were covered in corn dust and weevils. I hated weevils before, but afterwards, I really hated weevils. I think it took us about an hour and a half to kill all the rats, but, did not do anything to the weevil population.

We hauled multiple wheel barrels full of rats out of there, not sure what he did with them. It took a good while in the shower to get all of the weevils off. The corn, will definitely have holes in the kernels. If there ever were weevils in the corn, there will definitely still be weevils in the corn. Once they are in there, you will never get rid of them. I swear you can soak that corn in water for a month and it will still have weevils. They are flat impossible to get rid of. I would bet weevils are what farmers have nightmares about.

Comment

Working...
                                X