Rusty Metal Primer - Rust Oleum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Metal Primer - Rust Oleum

Anyone use this stuff before? Looking to hit the flakey stuff with a wire brush but hoping this stuff minimizes the labor. Says “Use on Heavily Rusted Metal”.

Try to find some phosphoric acid to apply to the rusty metal before painting. It will remove rust.

Comment

I have never used that but I have used a product called POR-15 for the same purpose. It is awesome, works great. It is a bit on the expensive side & it WILL stain any surface you get it on, including your skin. It took about a week of showers and scrubbing to get it off my arms.. They make it in a spray can but I used the brush on. I would recommend it to anyone and I will use it again.

Comment

Used it many times. It works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have used Ospho before painting rusted metal with good success.

Comment

Question on ospho. Any of y’all use it, and only it?
            As In You weren’t necessarily worried about the looks enough to paint over the ospho but didn’t want rust to eat it up the metal.

Comment

I just went through this. My mom gave me a gallon of Corroseal. It goes on white, somehow kills the rust, and dries to a black primer. I'm telling you, I hope the guy that invented it is rich!

Comment

I had good luck with The rust-oleum rusty metal primer.. esp the paint on kind...Ospho and decent paint is ok too...

Comment

Rustoleum is good stuff. The wire brush will help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                    I just went through this. My mom gave me a gallon of Corroseal. It goes on white, somehow kills the rust, and dries to a black primer. I'm telling you, I hope the guy that invented it is rich!
                    We tried something like that in ag class over 30 years ago. I had forgotten about it!

Comment

It’s all I ever use.
                      If it’s real bad rusty, I’ll take the wire wheel to it, then paint. All my feeder tripods are primed only. I don’t paint over them and it’s still holding up.
                      Now, if it’s something I want to paint over, I will spray it with Ospho first, wire wheel off next day, then use the primer.
                      It’s good stuff.

Comment

I like Restore,
                        it kills the rust and leaves a coating that can be painted or left as is.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                          I have used Ospho before painting rusted metal with good success.
                          This.

Comment

Rust-Oleam has a spray called Rust Reformer that I have used before I top coated and it has held up.

Comment

I’ve used Rust Killer (same as Ospho) in the past with success and actually used it about a year ago on this project but rust has set back in as it sits within proximity to the coast.

I was hoping to skip the chemical treatment step this time with this Rusty Primer stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X