No announcement yet.

Hi fence Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give me a call. Im a Wildlife Biologist and private lands consultant.

environmentalsolutions.com

Comment

Time and money and lots of both Feed them a ton and cull

Comment

Listen to msu deerlab...essentially it takes a few generations but you csn produce bigger body and bigger antler deer with increased nutrition but it takes generations

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought 600 acres in near Lampasas some years back. I HF it and killed every native deer on it. I then brought in 3 young bucks from 3 different breeders and 3 bred doe from 3 different breeders.

As someone stated, once you HF you will need to do a lot of culling. The herd multiplies very quickly.

I thought about leaving the native deer but just was not convinced I could grow the type of deer I wanted with hill country deer - good luck with whatever you decide

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
            I bought 600 acres in near Lampasas some years back. I HF it and killed every native deer on it. I then brought in 3 young bucks from 3 different breeders and 3 bred doe from 3 different breeders.

As someone stated, once you HF you will need to do a lot of culling. The herd multiplies very quickly.

I thought about leaving the native deer but just was not convinced I could grow the type of deer I wanted with hill country deer - good luck with whatever you decide
            any feedback on your results? both in quality and quantity? How long ago did you do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

I would be interested in the results as well. We have thought about doing something similar in the future but instead of wiping out the native heard just drastically reduce it as we do have some decent genetics now.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                any feedback on your results? both in quality and quantity? How long ago did you do this?
                Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                I would be interested in the results as well. We have thought about doing something similar in the future but instead of wiping out the native heard just drastically reduce it as we do have some decent genetics now.
                I can’t speak for him, but we kill multiple over 180” every year with just a handful of released deer into 3,000 acres of native.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  That’s kind of a loaded question. Most likely the genetics are fine. So my short answer would be yes, it’s possible. We’d have to know a LOT more about your place to start making any other assumptions.

I’ve seen it done before. Large and small places. For example I know of a 9,000+ acre place in the hill country that when my buddy first started managing it, you couldn’t find anything better than a 100” 8 point anywhere on the ranch. Now, 180’s-200” deer are common. All native. But it took more than three years.
                  ^^^^^Everything this man said is true

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                    That’s kind of a loaded question. Most likely the genetics are fine. So my short answer would be yes, it’s possible. We’d have to know a LOT more about your place to start making any other assumptions.

I’ve seen it done before. Large and small places. For example I know of a 9,000+ acre place in the hill country that when my buddy first started managing it, you couldn’t find anything better than a 100” 8 point anywhere on the ranch. Now, 180’s-200” deer are common. All native. But it took more than three years.
                    How many years did it take him to get to 150” plus size bucks? Did he kill out a lot of the deer the first few years ?

Comment

Another thing it’s leased land will sign multiple year contracts . So our hands are kind of tied be usually get 12 buck and 12 doe tags . But haven’t used all of our tags yet . I’m thinking we definitely need to make sure and kill all of our deer that we have tags for no matter what . We are having a hard time in selecting what to kill . We been concentrating on older inferior looking racks that score somewhere between 100” -127” . We have a few that score a little more then that but they really haven’t shown improvement on the racks . I know we were in a drought year this year but I was expecting them to stay about the same are get better. For the most they got worse are did stay about the same

I have seen a jump on a couple bucks but I’m thinking they are 5 year olds . But the 6 and above definitely didn’t improve much!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                        I did all this over 15 years ago - talked with the owners around 4-5 years after I sold it and they told me they had top end trophy deer. No way they could not have had - I put in 2 large food plots and top end deer. The biggest challenge I had was keeping the number of deer down - I did not do it for commercial hunting - did it just for family and friends to come enjoy

Here is a video from when it was on the market a couple of years ago - it was a very special place

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.

Comment

Nutrition, age and good genetics. It takes all three.
                          You have a sorry as s herd bull. You feed him all he wants to eat and without good genetics you'll still going to have a fat sorry as s bull. Got to have good genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                            Another thing it’s leased land will sign multiple year contracts . So our hands are kind of tied be usually get 12 buck and 12 doe tags . But haven’t used all of our tags yet . I’m thinking we definitely need to make sure and kill all of our deer that we have tags for no matter what . We are having a hard time in selecting what to kill . We been concentrating on older inferior looking racks that score somewhere between 100” -127” . We have a few that score a little more then that but they really haven’t shown improvement on the racks . I know we were in a drought year this year but I was expecting them to stay about the same are get better. For the most they got worse are did stay about the same

I have seen a jump on a couple bucks but I’m thinking they are 5 year olds . But the 6 and above definitely didn’t improve much!
                            How big is the place and how many deer are in it?

Comment

My cousin owns 1600 acres that was high fenced back in the early 2000s and managed it as tight and strict as I’ve ever seen with an unlimited feed budget. No matter how hard he tried they never grew a deer over 145 in 12 years. They ended up wiping out as many deer as possible and brought in better genetics. Now they have a 200in minimum for trophy quality.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                                How big is the place and how many deer are in it?
                                1000 acres and I don’t really know the amount of deer I don’t think they have done a survey on it recently. There are plenty for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X