No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the area and looking to shoot some pigs this off-season. Do you guys prefer the northern or southern pasture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_14 View Post
      New to the area and looking to shoot some pigs this off-season. Do you guys prefer the northern or southern pasture?

Huh? You got Nails or Yegua

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
        Huh? You got Nails or Yegua

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Well then which one of those

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_14 View Post
          Well then which one of those

Either one. You’ve got about the same chance no matter which section you hunt although with the drought this year I never saw any pigs and only had a few loaners on camera at night.

Comment

I don’t know if this thread is still used or not but I’m sure I’m on someone’s camera lol. I’m new to this area and I have been doing some scouting around it.

Comment

Has anyone been out since the season ended? This rain is either good, or bad. I don't know yet. I was thinking of taking a trip up there to try and find some hogs but I feel like since my hunting skills are terrible, ill wait until I can bait and then try again.

I have only seen one hog running away while I hunted this year. They must have been hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
                Has anyone been out since the season ended? This rain is either good, or bad. I don't know yet. I was thinking of taking a trip up there to try and find some hogs but I feel like since my hunting skills are terrible, ill wait until I can bait and then try again.

I have only seen one hog running away while I hunted this year. They must have been hiding.

I was recently down there. It’s pretty wet from all the rain. I also didn’t see any hogs either. I did see some tracks of pigs that looked some what fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post

Everyone is so quiet...

I plan to bait when that time comes. I will try to shoot something. I have to shoot something!

Comment

Walking around looking for pigs is a great time to scout for next deer season as well. As long as the wind is steady and in your face, you can stalk pigs pretty easy. It is a great time to hone on your hunting skills. Plus, you will find where others have feeders set up and you can just hunt near their set up if you want to hunt a consistently baited site

Comment

I’ve never hunted Summerville, would you say that it’s crowded? I’m looking for hogs year round not interested in hunting deer out there .

Comment

Originally posted by Stick bow View Post
                        I’ve never hunted Summerville, would you say that it’s crowded? I’m looking for hogs year round not interested in hunting deer out there .
                        It gets hunted hard- Close to Houston, Huntsville, and College Station....Since crossbows are archery and airbows then that opens up even more archery hunters from nearby populations.

Plus you have duck hunters all in area

Comment

That sucks, a few guys I know have said the same thing. Guess I’ll just stick to what I’ve been doing besides Summerville is right at a 2 hour drive.

Comment

Either no one hunts now or they are keeping it hush hush. Or covid scared all the posters on this page...

Comment

I’ve never hunted public land before. I see that there are some information stations and designated parking areas for those. On google earth it appears there’s some other roadways with possible parking areas that are not attached to the information stations. Are you allowed to drive on those or only the ones marked with a station?

Comment

Been out stomping around. It's dry dry dry, but fire ants are still alive and well. Ended up doing the happy dance after pissing while standing in some grass.

Deer are looking pretty worn and skinny with ribs showing in most. We did count 4 fawns on Saturday, 2 of which we never saw mothers for.

7 tree stands and 4 cameras spotted.
                                Gave them the redneck howdy. Let me know if they were yours!

Comment

Working...
                                X