No announcement yet.

Hunting Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool deal. I keep a log as well with similar information and enjoy reading old hunts. Lots of little things that I don't recall until I re-read the hunt.

Comment

You're locked in on the number one condition that matters when hunting mature bucks. For you to be killing them that tells me an awful lot about how you hunt, sort of confirms thoughts I've had about how you hunt in the past.

When you put yourself in between bedding areas wind direction change trumps all other conditions. Mature bucks will bed 95% of the time with the wind at their back and where they can see out front. When that wind direction changes, whatever time of day it is, they absolutely can not stand it and have to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

My old lease in Kansas was set up to where I would blow every deer off of the place if I tried to hunt on a south wind. On days that the wind was out of the south, I just didn't hunt. I would load some cold beers in a cooler and park up on the huge hill behind the barn and watch the bottom and see what deer were doing. Countless times I'd be sitting with a south wind and the wind would shift to say NE. Every single time the wind shifted I'd see mature bucks stand up from their bed and relocate. When you figure that trend out you're hunting and not just feeder guarding anymore. Be careful making intelligent insiteful posts on this forum. People will start calling you narcissistic and making it a point in their life to prove you wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            Be careful making intelligent insiteful posts on this forum. People will start calling you narcissistic and making it a point in their life to prove you wrong.

Lol!! Watch it, the "feeder guarding" police will write you up for that. I like trying to sit on some type of ridge or travel corridor when there is a wind shift like you described.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
              Lol!! Watch it, the "feeder guarding" police will write you up for that. I like trying to sit on some type of ridge or travel corridor when there is a wind shift like you described.

You gonna be close to me on opening day? Might have to meet up for a burger.

Comment

Check that you probably don't eat burgers. You can have a grilled chicken salad and I'll have a burger [emoji23]

Comment

Good info. Have to keep that in mind this year.

Comment

Check that you probably don't eat burgers. You can have a grilled chicken salad and I'll have a burger [emoji23]

lol I need some chicken in my life. I have packed on the lbs last month or two. I messed up my wrist filling feeders in Oklahoma it's just now getting back ok. I'll be down for lunch for sure if I'm here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                      lol I need some chicken in my life. I have packed on the lbs last month or two. I messed up my wrist filling feeders in Oklahoma it's just now getting back ok. I'll be down for lunch for sure if I'm here.

We'll drag your deer out about 10:30 and go grab lunch.

Comment

Be careful making intelligent insiteful posts on this forum. People will start calling you narcissistic and making it a point in their life to prove you wrong.
                        Sorry if my post comes off as narcissistic to some. I included the pictures just as a little visual proof to back up the patterns I saw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate the post.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                            Sorry if my post comes off as narcissistic to some. I included the pictures just as a little visual proof to back up the patterns I saw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't apologize for it, I never do lol. I enjoy your live hunts and enjoy someone that actually puts a little thought and tact into hunting. You don't get a group of pictures like you posted by accident.

Comment

good info to think about

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
                                Great post! Mark Drury talked about the same thing on the Wired to Hunt podcast #63. They mainly talk about midwest hunting but there's a ton of good info there.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/07/09/th...t-wmark-drury/
                                I just finished listening and man there was some great info in there! He definitely believes in the day or two after a switch in the wind direction, and high pressure. I really liked how he broke the season down into the 13 different phases. I was shaking my head in agreement through most of the interview. I didn't see the correlation between deer movement and the moon phase in my records like he did, but I know he has way more data to go off of than me. He is the first person I have heard talk about the hunting being the best during and around a full moon. You usually hear people say the opposite. The man really knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Working...
                                X