Ask Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask Travis

There's a new show on Food Network where viewers email in to Aida Vollencamp (very good looking I might add!) and she tries to answer questions that people may have cooking related. That and the loss of breading issue that someone asked about on another thread had me thinking. Are there people out there that have questions food related???

Well if you have questions bring them here and I'll try to answer. Anything and everything food related. From Meat processing, vegetarian cuisine, cooking skills, definitions, tips or just want something to impress a date. If you've got a question I'll do my best to answer it for you.

A little Background about myself.

Have loved food my whole life (One look will tell you that).
    Grew up in the Processed foods industry. (Family owned company with over 6 million laying hens from 1955-2000.)
    AG Development degree with emphasis in Food Science from A&M
    Classically trained Chef (Taught myself!)
    Research and Development Manager for a National Food Processing Company in South Central Texas.

Like I said if you have questions just ask!

If you want to add jalapenos to cured sausage, should you use fresh, pickled or dehydrated? What about cheese? Regular HEB type, or hi-temp? Are any of the answers different for fresh sausage

Couple more questions:

I've been wanting to make deer sausage adding only pork fat, not meat. Is there any reason not to do this? Why can't I find fatback anywhere in the Austin area? Can I use salt pork and get the same result?
    Last edited by TXJon; 08-04-2008, 07:08 AM. Reason: couple more questions

Comment

If you want to add jalapenos to cured sausage, should you use fresh, pickled or dehydrated? What about cheese? Regular HEB type, or hi-temp? Are any of the answers different for fresh sausage

Couple more questions:

I've been wanting to make deer sausage adding only pork fat, not meat. Is there any reason not to do this? Why can't I find fatback anywhere in the Austin area? Can I use salt pork and get the same result?

All of these answers are for any sausage. Fresh, cooked, cured whatever.
      Question 1
      Preferrably I like to use dehydrated Jalapenos because they have the most consistant heat and flavor. Rehydrate them in water then throw them in the meat. They rehydrate 2 parts water, 1 part Dry Jalapeno. Around half of a percent dry weight of the total formula or .05 pounds per 10# meat will give you good flavor without choking you with heat.

If you cannot find them use fresh around 1-1.5% of the formula or around .10 pounds for 10 pounds of meat. I would use pickled as a last resort at the same weight as the fresh. Reason being is that pickling distorts the flavor of the pepper. Not necessarily in a bad way but just different. Really its all about preference.

Preferrably you want to use hi temp cheese when making sausage. It will hold together and will stay in your sausage instead of oozing out or cooking out. Around 1# of cheese for 10 pounds of meat is a good ratio. You can get high melt cheese from LEM.

If you cant get it. Use an extra sharp cheddar. Something that has aged longer and will withstand heat better. Soft cheeses like mild cheddar, velveeta, monterrey jack, mozzarella wont hold up as well.

Question 3.
      Pork fat generally comes off the outside of the muscle. Referred to in the industry as lean in fat, fat backs, or hard fat. The majority of it goes to lard consumption.

With pork fat you will have more problems with grease oozing out of your sausage and a loose texture. Pork fat is generally very dense and does not bind well with any meat. I would limit this type of fat to no greater than 10% of your total formula. You need to add in some good quality lean (picnics or butts) to get some good bind on your sausage. Salt pork is entirely to salty to add. Unless you rinse it well it will give you some harsh taste. However a bout 5% or 1/2 pound per 10 of bacon taste awesome in sausage.

You should be able to get some pork fat trim from any place that cuts their meat. Even a large HEB still does some processing in their stores. Your best bet is a true old style butcher for getting fat pork or fat backs.

Comment

Ever jack with dutch ovens?

If so, what are your favorite dutch oven meals that are consistent crowd pleasers?

thanks in advance

Comment

I've done a little dutch oven work.

Only thing I will say especially when baking. Is experience is the best teacher. Coal and fire control are a must. That and leave it alone! Dont be constantly opening the lid.

Shepherds pie or stews, roasts, chicken fried egg scrambles. You can do anything in a dutch oven.

My favorite is shepherds pie cooked over an open fire in a dutch oven and apricot cobbler with a flour and oatmeal crumb topping with a little sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

Comment

Have you ever cured a whole deer ham, like a prosciutto? How did it turn out? How long does it take? Would you recommend it? Do you have to get that lymph node out from the middle first?

You sure you want to do this? I could go all day!

Comment

The VA put a metal plate in my head. Not only does my hair look bad along the part, but when Caroline runs the microvave, I pee my pants and forget where I'm at. Any suggestions for quick and easy meals that don't involve the microwave?

Thanks,

Cousin Bobby

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                The VA put a metal plate in my head. Not only does my hair look bad along the part, but when Caroline runs the microvave, I pee my pants and forget where I'm at. Any suggestions for quick and easy meals that don't involve the microwave?

Thanks,

Cousin Bobby
                Click image for larger version

Name:	oat1.gif
Views:	2
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	23849677

Comment

Now you're speaking my language!

Travis...I had an uncle that made a simple dish out of deer steaks and onion and flour in a skillet. He cooked it for a long time. It seemed to make it's own gravy and the onions were pretty much "melted down". The meat was very tender. I've tried to reproduce but had no luck. Any suggestions?

Comment

Marinade questions

WHat is your best marinade for the following? Do you inject or just let it sit in the marinade? Any special tips for marinading? Just want some pretty simple recipes that make meat taste great. Below is a list of regulars I cook but I'm trying to make it have a little more flavor.

Chicken-grilled,baked
                    Beef-fajita, steak
                    Pork-grilled,baked

Comment

Hudsons in South Austin makes a good venison fajita meat. They won't tell me what's in their marinade. What do you suggest?

Comment

Holy krap this is more popular than I thought. I'm gonna get to these all by the end of the day! Give me a little time.

Comment

Also would like a recipe for a good venison stock. I've tried a couple, they never worked out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

Thanks,

Cousin Bobby

Get some Depends and let Caroline keep using the microwave. Won't help your hair or your memory but not much could be done there anyway!

Comment

Have you ever cured a whole deer ham, like a prosciutto? How did it turn out? How long does it take? Would you recommend it? Do you have to get that lymph node out from the middle first?

You sure you want to do this? I could go all day!
                              The easiest way to make a ham would be to brine it overnight in a brine solution as well as injecting it through the veins of the muscle. Then slow smoke it until it reaches 170 degrees internal and cool it down till 40. If you wanted to make a true prosciutto you’re looking at 6+months of drying time.

If you can get the lymph node out.

Travis...I had an uncle that made a simple dish out of deer steaks and onion and flour in a skillet. He cooked it for a long time. It seemed to make it's own gravy and the onions were pretty much "melted down". The meat was very tender. I've tried to reproduce but had no luck. Any suggestions?
                              Sounds like he made something similar to a Salisbury steak. I would start out with tenderizing some deer steaks and browning them with a little chopped onion and butter, once browned throw in a little water to just barely cover them. Once it starts a slow boil take a mixture of about 1 tablespoon of flour mixed with about ¼ cup of the liquid in a separate small bowl and blend it together. Then add it back to the pan. Simmer it down till the gravy gets good and thick. Also add in a little black pepper and a touch of garlic.

Try that and lets go from there. If this is an old recipe most of it is in the cooking not the recipe.

WHat is your best marinade for the following? Do you inject or just let it sit in the marinade? Any special tips for marinading? Just want some pretty simple recipes that make meat taste great. Below is a list of regulars I cook but I'm trying to make it have a little more flavor.

Chicken-grilled,baked
                              Beef-fajita, steak
                              Pork-grilled,baked
                              I don’t marinate a lot just because I like to add in subtle flavoring but to each his own.

Chicken on the grill is great with a cilantro lime marinade. Take about ¼ cup lime juice, olive oil, ¼ cup cilantro, a little salt and pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Maybe a teaspoon or so of each. Mix all that together in a bowl place coat chicken well and marinate overnight.

Fajitas
                              ¼ cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons worcestshire, 2 tablespoons olive oil, teaspoon of each of the following, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika. Stir all together and coat meat and let sit overnight.

Pork
                              Take a whole bottle of cherry jelly put it in a pot with a ¼ cup of butter, and a ¼ cup of bourbon. Cook it until it becomes liquid form again. Let chill then pour all over pork and marinate overnight.

Hudsons in South Austin makes a good venison fajita meat. They won't tell me what's in their marinade. What do you suggest?
                              Try the above but generally most fajita meat is pumped with water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and a little chili powder.

That's about all that's in the prepackaged ones and those can hardly be beat!

Also would like a recipe for a good venison stock. I've tried a couple, they never worked out well.
                              Stocks are generally pretty simple. Take the bones with some decent meat left on them. Dont rob them clean. Put in a pot with boiling water, with about 1 chopped cup of each of the following, carrots, celery, and onion. Boil for about 20 minutes and then add a little salt for your liking. Remove the bone and vegetables and chill down. That's pretty much it.

Comment

Working...
                              X