X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic PV-GS300

Anybody know anything about these?

3CCD, under $500, zoom is only 10X

Shooting from the hip on this one, so don't hold me to it. I believe it has 1/6 CCD's which are not going to perform well in low light. If I remember right, the reviews on this camera were mixed but the general concensus was poor low light performance.

Comment

That is what kind of info I need.

What size CCD(minimum) do you need for good low light performance?

Comment

1/3 would be the first choice but you will pay a premium for a 1/3 3CCD camera. The GS500 has 1/4.7" CCD's and it's around $700 from some online stores. You'll pay $1000 from Best Buy. I would look at 1/5 CCD's or bigger. If you can upgrade to the GS500 from the GS300, I would do it.

Comment

Great posts with good info Gerald. I have been using a GS400 since last season and I have been very pleased with the results (1/4.7" CCD's). The 10x optical zoom will be plenty for most of your bowhunting situations, but if you are using the camera while gun hunting or somewhere that you can video at 100, 200 or even 300 yards, you can purchase a doubler lens attachment to increase your zoom manginfication.

The main thing you want to focus on is what picture quality your camera is capable of producing in a hunting situation. The larger CCD's (1/5" or larger like Finatic said) are a must if you are concerned about low-light performance.

I have recently read the reviews on the GS500 and I am impressed with what I see. They made a few changes from the GS400 that should really help getting quality video. One thing that I really like is the true 16:9 picture on the LCD screen for the GS500 (as opposed to the 4:3 stretched image on the GS400 LCD). Overall, I would say it is a very good mid-price range 3CCD camera.

If you wind up going with the GS300, any video you take under good lighting conditions should have a clear, crisp image...but be prepared to be a little disappointed in a hunting situation where light is starting to fade.

Comment

Good info

Another ? is how do these other cameras achieve low light filming(nigh vision/view)? I am talking about the single CCD cameras

Comment

Working...
            X