Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good!

Comment

I’m not sure how to tell the difference between wheat and oats. there’s still a lot that is just starting to sprout. Hopefully it will fill in nicely.

Comment

The fields are looking excellent!

Comment

Thanks! It’s amazing how easy it is when you get a lot of rain.

Comment

Great looking plots.
            I think wheat looks a little thicker and darker when young.
            Did you put out any test cages? Your fields look much bigger and maybe won’t get hammered by our deer that spend hours in them every day.
            Just FYI we poisoned, broadcast seed, fertilized, shredded and culti-packed. Best plots we ever had thanks to that unending rain.

BP

Comment

great looking plots. Mine don't look as good for just broadcasting. It was too wet to get the drill in there.

Comment

We got another 1in of rain today. I’m just hoping to see the deer utilize them when it gets colder and there’s less native forage to eat. They haven’t had the need to use the food plots that much due to all of the native forbs and fresh browse.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  We got another 1in of rain today. I’m just hoping to see the deer utilize them when it gets colder and there’s less native forage to eat. They haven’t had the need to use the food plots that much due to all of the native forbs and fresh browse.
                  They will. Be glad the are leaving it alone now, as it is giving it time to get established.

As suggested, I would install an exclusion cage to see exactly how much they are eating. Might surprise you.

Comment

We installed an exclusion cage in each field last weekend to get a better idea of how much is being browsed. I see that they are forecasting 80 degree days for Saturday thru Tuesday. Those warm temps should help those fields flourish. Someone will be out there next week and I’ll post more pictures.

We broadcasted some leftover wheat, turnips and silver river clover on a 2 acre field that had a lot of standing water in it. It got another good 1in of rain since broadcasting the seed. I’m curious to see how that seed does in a field that hasn’t been disked since last October.

Should we consider fertilizing the fields in January with a high Nitrogen fertilizer? Just curious about what y’all think. I know both wheat and oats require lots of Nitrogen and I’d like to keep the attractiveness and protein levels as high as possible.
                    Last edited by bgleaton; 10-26-2018, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I don’t know the right fertilizer for you, but my oats and wheat grow thru the winter and I have top dressed them. Luckily, none goes to grass or weeds. Cameras on your fields after some hard freezes will reassure you why you worked so hard.

Comment

11/14/18 Update

My dad was at the ranch today and took some pictures of the wheat/oat food plots. He said there were about 15 deer in the 3 acre field and a number of deer in the 1 acre strip. You can tell that it's a little spotty and bunched up due to us not cultipacking it and the seed moving into the furrows after we got a 2.5-inch downpour the night after planting. It's not the prettiest field but the deer don't seem to mind that and I'm sure its producing enough to attract and provide nutrition. You can see how much they are eating with the exclosure cages. The ponds are still overflowing from the wet fall.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	24560166

Name:	IMG_4876 (1) (Medium).jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24560167

Name:	IMG_4871 (Medium).jpg
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	24560168

Name:	Cropped.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	24560169

Name:	IMG_4878 (Medium).jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	24560170

Comment

I wish everyone would put up enclosures. It definitely helps show usage

Comment

I wish we could make our plots look like those on tv (like a thick green carpet) but I think that’s pretty unrealistic for our neck of the woods. I’m curious to know how much tonnage per acre we are growing. Is there anyway to know how much forage is growing per acre?

Comment

11/26/18 Update

We were all out there over Thanksgiving week/weekend. The hunting was okay but would have been a lot better if that cold front would have come in earlier and if we didn't have a full moon. We saw some chasing but nothing too crazy. The first evening we got there the big 12pt came to the house protein feeder right at last light but I couldn't get a shot off. The deer weren't in the food plots too much, at least during the day time, but I'm sure they were hammering in that full moon. The plots still look really good but we could use some rain over the next couple of weeks. We shot two does, which puts us at 4 for the year, and plan on shooting another 3 to 4 does over the next two weekends.

The most action we saw was sitting in tripods that overlooked areas that were away from feeders.

Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Name:	DSCN0465 (Medium).jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	24562804

Name:	DSCN0470 (Medium).jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	24562805