Help with keeping dog out of flower bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with keeping dog out of flower bed

The wife and daughters wanted a flower bed in the back yard, so I built one for them. The problem is that my beagle thinks that it is his digging place. We have already had him dig up the plants the first time we put them in there and I am not going to buy any more until I find a way to keep him from digging them up.

I have tried the stuff from tractor supply, have tried cayenne pepper mixed with flower, and have tried dog/cat stuff from Tractor Supply. Other than a buried electric fence, which is my next method, does anyone have any suggestions before I go the electric fence route? Thanks for the help.

I've had good success with laying hog panels down over the flower bed and covering them in mulch. The dogs still may try to dig in there a couple times but cannot get very far due to the panels.

Comment

Throw his poop in the beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Do the hot wire, he will hit it once or twice and always remember, then you can just take it down after a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
          Throw his poop in the beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          I have heard that before, but we take him for a walk and he poops on the walk and not necessarily in the back yard.

Comment

Look up a "Scarecrow motion activated sprinkler".
            Used one before, and it works.

Comment

BB gun!

Comment

Hot wire is the only thing I found that worked for my lab. and these are in planter boxes that she likes and for what ever reason its only this time of year. She got "educated" last year but apparently felt the need to do the same **** thing this October as well. So I re installed it and she seams to back to normal.
                Out of curiosity is yours problem seasonal or all of the time?

Comment

Scatter Black pepper all though the flowerbed. It will keep them from digging.

Comment

Hump him until he pees!!! Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Booger74 View Post
                      BB gun!
                      Not home when he does it and I wouldn't do that in the first place.

Originally posted by myway View Post
                      Hot wire is the only thing I found that worked for my lab. and these are in planter boxes that she likes and for what ever reason its only this time of year. She got "educated" last year but apparently felt the need to do the same **** thing this October as well. So I re installed it and she seams to back to normal.
                      Out of curiosity is yours problem seasonal or all of the time?
                      I just think he is a digger. He is a beagle and that is what my beagles have done in the past. I think he gets bored, so he digs and digs.

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      I tried that with Cayenne pepper. I thought it would work. I also mixed some cayenne with black pepper and it did not seem to work. I thought it would for sure work on a beagle, especially with the nose he has on him, but that little ******* kept on until he had dug up all 5 of the wife's plants.

Comment

hump him until he pees DUH

Comment

Sounds like Bandit is in the doghouse.

Comment

an E collar and train him.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                              I tried this along with Cayenne pepper and not just a little but a big arse container. You would have thought I just added season salt to some French fries. It didn't phase her.

Comment

Working...
                              X