Big Buck with the New Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Buck with the New Glass

First time out with some of the new Canon RF glass. So far I'm liking the new combo.

Trident Buck by Tyler Barron, on Flickr

Very nice!

Comment

Great shot! What camera and lens? I know you mentioned the camera somewhere else, thinking it was the R.

I have the R5 and the RF 70-200 f2.8L. Stupid fun combination!!!

***EDIT***
      I didn't bother to look at Flickr before posting. I see what you're using. Tell me more about your impressions of the 100-500. Interesting lens.
      Last edited by Casey; 12-10-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

How far away were you when you took that shot? I'm not a camera guy so sorry if that is a stupid question. Really awesome clarity on that pic.

Comment

That is a very clear pic.....Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            Great shot! What camera and lens? I know you mentioned the camera somewhere else, thinking it was the R.

I have the R5 and the RF 70-200 f2.8L. Stupid fun combination!!!

***EDIT***
            I didn't bother to look at Flickr before posting. I see what you're using. Tell me more about your impressions of the 100-500. Interesting lens.
            Haha, yep 100-500 on the R. So far (I've had the lens for less than 24 hours) I love it. It is super sharp and AF was stellar this morning in somewhat challenging light at times. In my opinion, it's an all around better version of the 100-400 ISII which I had on the 5D4 for a while, and I think it's going to be a really really good walk-around wildlife lens. I would love a giant fast prime, but most of my stuff is shot hand-held, and I just can't afford the big glass. I find that with my choice in shooting (mostly wildlife and landscapes) this lens + the 24-105L is going to get me to most of what I need to shoot. Most of my landscape work is between f8-f13ish, so I don't really need a fast lens for that, and the bokeh looks great on the 100-500 as long as you're not too terribly far from your subject.

Eventually I'll upgrade to the 24-70f2.8 for shorter focal lengths which will give me more options for shallow depth of field and whatnot, but for now, this should be a really fun setup, and it'll be nice to have a much lighter pack to tote around.

Comment

Originally posted by JACK750 View Post
              How far away were you when you took that shot? I'm not a camera guy so sorry if that is a stupid question. Really awesome clarity on that pic.
              Thanks! I'd say this was probably in the 50 yards range? Not sure exactly, maybe a little less.

Comment

do you use a processing software like Lightroom for your photos? I am considering buying a software package as we are talking more and more pictures of our boys playing sports as well as pictures I took of my hunting trip to Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by acopperdawg View Post
                  do you use a processing software like Lightroom for your photos? I am considering buying a software package as we are talking more and more pictures of our boys playing sports as well as pictures I took of my hunting trip to Africa.
                  Yes, I am a pretty big user of the Adobe Products (mainly lightroom). IMO, most processing can be done in Lightroom, but occasionally I need Photoshop for the final look that I want, but that's pretty rare.

Comment

Wow! Nice!

Comment

Saw it on Flickr this morning, great capture!

I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my 500 f4 for this lens. Would like to get your thoughts in a few weeks/months after you’ve had time to put it through its paces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

So A Richard head like myself can’t just go buy a nice camera with zoom lense and take pics like that! I don’t think I would have been looking at him through a camera lense though!

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                          Saw it on Flickr this morning, great capture!

I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my 500 f4 for this lens. Would like to get your thoughts in a few weeks/months after you’ve had time to put it through its paces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          I'll let you know how it goes for sure. Hoping to do some more shooting with it this weekend if I get a chance. Regarding that 500mm F4... that is tough. I definitely feel like there are going to be a lot of situations where that extra light and the better bokeh would be ideal vs 500mm at 7.1. But like most things camera related, it's all about trade-offs, so the weight and size considerations might be worth it? TBD!

Comment

REALLY nice!!!

Comment

Cool buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X