Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default East Texas Hunters: alternatives to hand thrown corn for mature bucks

Currently I'm putting out 2 different 250pd piles of corn and the deer mow through them in a week, including some solid mature bucks. Past experience tells me that a spin cast feeder will send the mature bucks somewhere else. I can't keep throwing out 500pds a week so wanted to see if anyone has had any luck keeping mature bucks hitting corn using a different method here in East Texas. I'm sitting on a few options but wanted to see what y'all have had luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #3
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

About 10 years ago I made a "pig pipe" out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Attached a swivel and chain to the bottom of the bucket, cut some 5/8" holes in the sides, screwed the lid on and staked it down. I've seen more mature bucks kicking that bucket than on all my feeders combined.

My Brother-in-law always had good luck drawing in mature bucks when he hung 35 gallon timed feeders way up in trees out of their sight.

Last edited by Native Texan; 07-09-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 01:32 AM   #4
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

A ghost feeder is an option. Lifted high up a tree. Thereís a thread or two that discusses them in detail.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 02:45 AM   #5
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
A ghost feeder is an option. Lifted high up a tree. Thereís a thread or two that discusses them in detail.
This may be the alternative.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 04:43 AM   #6
Stuck
Pope & Young

Lbs.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 05:26 AM   #7
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Winch up 55 gal barrel feeder with a protein spout. I run four year round. Big mature bucks stay on them. I keep the bottom lip of the spout at 40". I do not run anything timed in East Tx. Besides, timed is not feeding. That is nothing more than baiting. Free choice is feeding.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #8
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

This year Iím going to try directional feeders placed in the wood line throwing out to where I want it. My philosophy is that they recognize the traditional image of a tripod feeder. Another option is to fix a hanging feeder 15-20í high. I have done that with small bucket feeders and large limbs and had bucks visit them regularly that would avoid a traditional tripod.

canny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #9
MetalMan2004
Ten Point

In
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I’m going to try running big&j blocks. I can’t keep my hand corn out more than a day or 2 because the hogs mow it down. Hopefully they’ll stay off the blocks just a little better.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #11
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Only answer I have is shoot half of those deer and the corn will last longer.lol
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
I’m going to try running big&j blocks. I can’t keep my hand corn out more than a day or 2 because the hogs mow it down. Hopefully they’ll stay off the blocks just a little better.
Pigs will eat the big and J as well. We had to get all seasons block feeders to keep them in. They last longer that way but the deer still eat one a week at one of my sets

The don't last but 3 days on the lake property but I get 20 deer per feeding when the feeder throws
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #13
GarGuy
Pope & Young

He is feeding in pens
Old 07-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
This year Iím going to try directional feeders placed in the wood line throwing out to where I want it. My philosophy is that they recognize the traditional image of a tripod feeder. Another option is to fix a hanging feeder 15-20í high. I have done that with small bucket feeders and large limbs and had bucks visit them regularly that would avoid a traditional tripod.

I am leaning this direction as well.. Can hide the feeder in the brush even just let it throw out where you want them standing to shoot
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #15
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Just feed them less if you can’t afford it. You’re not going to find a cheaper alternative to deer corn.

Rice bran works well for me, but again if you can’t afford corn then it’s not an option.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
Black-N-Red
Ten Point

Iíve hand fed fir years now & I only use 1/2-3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket a week & spread it between 5-6 spots with cameras & as season approaches I narrow it down to 2-3 spots that Iíll hunt & use the same amount of corn.

Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-N-Red View Post
Iíve hand fed fir years now & I only use 1/2-3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket a week & spread it between 5-6 spots with cameras & as season approaches I narrow it down to 2-3 spots that Iíll hunt & use the same amount of corn.

A 5 gallon bucket would be gone before he got home with only the bucks eating.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

PVC pipe feeders are fairly cheap and easy to make. Mine would only hold about 50#, but you could put several out at each location. Not sure that's really going to slow down the amount you have to put out though.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

PVC pipe feeder or a 2 liter coke bottles with a hole in the top
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #20
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

I'm not using corn. I do 2 things.
1. Find their favorite food source
2. Find their favorite scrape
Hunting over scrapes before the rut is outstanding, but you have to find that one or 2 they will use during daylight hours.
If you're lucky enough to find a tree or 2 that they love, you will see all kinds of deer moving in and out.
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
corps2010
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches & San Augustine

Hang a chain between two trees 15'-20' in the air. Attach an 55 or 85 gallon drum to a winch and crank it up as high as it'll go. Buy a ghost feeder and use it. (they have a new funnel system that makes it even quieter). Mature bucks will feed under it no problem in East Texas. (I have been using this system for years now and killed several big deer under em but using a traditional spin feeder instead of the Ghost. I would think heavily pressured bucks will respond better to a quiet feeder so I'll be swapping over to the Ghost Feeder)
corps2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Is switching over to plots an option? Beans in the spring, wheat/clover/turnips in the fall keeps lots of tonnage on the ground for me. Gotta have the right spot, though.

If it was feasible, it’d save you money and going in and out every week. 500 pounds a week at 4$ a sack or whatever it costs will add up quick!!
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #23
JamesM
Four Point

In
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #24
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

I strictly hand corn my pens. Every 2-3 days I pour a bag. Some days I may only pour 10 pounds. I have 4 feed stations and 100# a week keep the bucks coming daily. I also have 2 stations with gravity protein. They will jump in the pen for it. If you have the time to make 2-3 trips a week just cut back and feed less.

Last edited by Antlers86; 07-09-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #25
bswift355
Four Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
We are trying several of these. We call them squirrel feeders. They must be bullet proof as the squirrels will chew through anything plastic or if wires are exposed.
bswift355 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #26
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

what about a timed protein feeder with the bottom open so it falls on the ground. the winch it high uo a tree. set the timer to put out 5-10 lbs at a time. during off peak hours.
than hunt the trails 100 yds out from them.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #27
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East & Central Texas

I've used gravity feeders with success. I might start looking into the Ghost feeder based off some responses here
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #28
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
what about a timed protein feeder with the bottom open so it falls on the ground. the winch it high uo a tree. set the timer to put out 5-10 lbs at a time. during off peak hours.
than hunt the trails 100 yds out from them.
This could work..
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #29
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

I have 2 Redneck gravity feeders that Big Bucks LOVE. I just moved them to a TPost mount because the dadgum squirrels eat the plastic...but 80 lbs corn will last 3-4 weeks and the hogs cant get to it. I just moved to tpost last week so I have not been able to see if keeping varmits off will make corn last any longer....the amount they could get was pretty limited anyway.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #30
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I have 2 Redneck gravity feeders that Big Bucks LOVE. I just moved them to a TPost mount because the dadgum squirrels eat the plastic...but 80 lbs corn will last 3-4 weeks and the hogs cant get to it. I just moved to tpost last week so I have not been able to see if keeping varmits off will make corn last any longer....the amount they could get was pretty limited anyway.

How does t-post mount keep squirrels from eating the PVC?

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #31
Sinkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Back 40 - Como, TX.

Quote:
How high off the ground do you have it? The pics and videos Ive seen of these seems that big pigs can still reach it.
Sinkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #32
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties

Quote:
Squirrels still try and get in them but this is how I set my Redneck Feeders. Great product

Place inside a Handcorn pen and no worries about hogs.
Attached Images

Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #33
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

I have 2 Tripod feeders in Harrison County. No food plots. I live almost 5 hours away. I get up there about about once every 2 months. It is always growed up so bad I cannot tell if anything is hitting the corn. I mow the shooting lanes and fill the feeders till next trip.

Don't see many deer but it is what it is.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #34
JayB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkey View Post
How high off the ground do you have it? The pics and videos Ive seen of these seems that big pigs can still reach it.
They recommend 42" above ground. The deer will work hard on just a few bits of corn. I followed the website guidelines for a PVC leg covered with a bucket upside down then the feeder, to keep squirrel and coon away. I will see what the camera shows on the next trip.

.....and God Bless America.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #35
JayB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
How does t-post mount keep squirrels from eating the PVC?

Basically, they can't get to it. I wish I would have taken a picture before I left. You can look on redneck feeder website and find it.

.....and God Bless America.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #36
Black-N-Red
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
A 5 gallon bucket would be gone before he got home with only the bucks eating.

It maybe but it works for great me in Houston County. Hereís few bucks over the last few years. Also about 200yrds from where I hunt thereís a feeder with camera & never seen any of these deer at the feeder.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #37
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

We put up a quite feeder and hung from chains between two trees. Piston open, corn drops, and nothing for them to stand under.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #38
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Iím going to try running big&j blocks. I canít keep my hand corn out more than a day or 2 because the hogs mow it down. Hopefully theyíll stay off the blocks just a little better.
I put some big & J blocks out and the hogs demolished them. Hope they do not do the same to yours. Put a camera on them.
ByronB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #39
GarGuy
Pope & Young

[QUOTE=Black-N-Red;14966437]It maybe but it works for great me in Houston County. Hereís few bucks over the last few years. Also about 200yrds from where I hunt thereís a feeder with camera & never seen any of these deer at the feeder.

If you followed any of my threads I'm sure you know I do that in a dozen places. Johnny is 100 miles from his spot. He goes up and pours 500 lb of corn in two pens. Deer...mostly bucks....eat all of it in 5 days.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #40
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

I am sure I have a similar setup, but your deer might behave differently and my place is 20 minutes from the house. Here is my corn $$ saving plan that I employ...I only start feeding a week before the season. I haven't found that it has a negative effect on us killing mature bucks.

I used to do the whole feeding year round deal, but I found myself burnt out before the season began and really dreading driving to the feed store to get corn. I can't think about deer hunting year around like I used to. Feeding deer in the spring/summer severely cuts into my fishing time. Some of the deer I used to feed all spring/summer would disappear anyway when velvet dropped and often we kill deer that we see daily during the season for their whole life but neighbors 1-2 miles away feed each summer. In my case, I think I draw those deer the same during the killing time whether I bust my butt all summer feeding, or not.
Most importantly, I keep out however much corn it takes in each spot to make sure that there is corn available at all hours of the day from the time I want to start my season until I'm done for the year. For me, that is usually 2-3 bags per spot every 2-3 days.
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #41
Black-N-Red
Ten Point

If you followed any of my threads I'm sure you know I do that in a dozen places. Johnny is 100 miles from his spot. He goes up and pours 500 lb of corn in two pens. Deer...mostly bucks....eat all of it in 5 days.[/QUOTE]

I didnít see he was that far away. Sorry for that. Iím only about 30 minutes from where I hunt.

The feeder hanging on a chain is probably the best idea Iíve heard. I think the best thing would be the feeder hanging high between 2 trees with an auger style dispense system with some sort of cone made from something soft under it to spread the corn out.

Iíve also heard of folks using like a 5 grain chicken scratch, smaller pieces of corn, sunflower seeds, oats wheat, milo & barley. With the smaller pieces they hang around longer & donít eat as much. Iím gonna try the chicken scratch in a couple of places this year & see what happens.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #42
JamesM
Four Point

A one way 100 mile drive once or twice a week would take a lot of the fun out of hunting for someone who also works a full time job. My drive is 50 miles, there's no way I could do 100 miles for any length of time. A high hanging ghost feeder sure sounds like a good idea. I may try one next year.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #43
deerslay3r
Eight Point

Hunt In: waelder,somerville

The price for the "ghost feeder" is absolutely ridiculous. Just get a winch up 30 gallon feeder and turn the spin speed to the lowest setting and spray any metal with a rubber coating, same thing.
deerslay3r is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #44
Pineywoods Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I hunt East Texas and we only harvest 5.5 yr old bucks if 9 points or more and some 4.5 yr old 8’s on occasion.
We have very mature bucks jump in our pens and hit corn from broadcast feeders with zero hesitation. The same pens are where our protein troughs are so bucks are used to jumping in them year round.
They don’t feed either in pens with feeders or on broadcast corn not in pens except at night-except during pre rut and rut in October-November.
We don’t like broadcasting corn except in Fenced pens because it attracts hogs off neighboring tracts. But I don’t think feeder vs hand spread corn makes a difference if you’re using fenced pens/which is an imperative of you don’t want hogs running your deer off.
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #45
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Great ideas. I just got home after making the drive to the lease. It was an hour and 20 minutes one way. I feed in pens and for the most part, hogs stay out of em. I have 2 locations where I corn and poured 250 pounds in each spot. This will give me about a week or so to decided on what I need to do. Definitely can't make the drive over there once a week and throw out corn.

Looks like the deer were waiting on me. Already got a doe on corn. I appreciate everyone's input and will update after I set something in concrete.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #46
JamesM
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslay3r View Post
The price for the "ghost feeder" is absolutely ridiculous. Just get a winch up 30 gallon feeder and turn the spin speed to the lowest setting and spray any metal with a rubber coating, same thing.
I never thought about spray on rubberized coating. I like that idea.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #47
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

^^^ I’ve also heard of people putting I cut out leg from a big ol boy pair of sweatpants , for example and fastening it under the feeder, around the unit/spinner. Gonna give it a try in a few weeks. I Have a Moultrie pro unit that is round in shape , and I think it’s gonna work great!

Although I need some help on the suspended chain setup. I can get the chain up no problem, but what’re you guys using to hoist up and down and any other hardware ?? Thanks!!

Last edited by JLivi1224; 07-11-2020 at 01:23 PM.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #48
JamesM
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
^^^ Iíve also heard of people putting I cut out leg from a big ol boy pair of sweatpants , for example and fastening it under the feeder, around the unit/spinner. Gonna give it a try in a few weeks. I Have a Moultrie pro unit that is round in shape , and I think itís gonna work great!

Although I need some help on the suspended chain setup. I can get the chain up no problem, but whatíre you guys using to hoist up and down and any other hardware ?? Thanks!!
The sweatpants are a good idea also. As far as the feeder hoist I made an L bracket that hangs from a tree. It has a pulley next to the tree and one at the end of the bracket thatís about 5 feet out from the tree. Then a boat wench at the base of the tree to hoist it up. I saw one on eBay and figured it would be easy to build but it was a real pain to set up.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #49
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

Apologies for being the new guy to an East Texas thread. I have a new little place gonna try to hunt this year a little east. What is the issue with Traditional feeders?

Last edited by Bradical BH; 07-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #50
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
Apologies for being the new guy to an East Texas thread. I have a new little place gonna try to hunt this year a little east. What is the issue with Traditional feeders?
Generally deer have evolved to realize they mean danger and avoid them like the plague (especially mature bucks). They also attract hogs.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top