.223 to 5.56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.223 to 5.56

I have a AR15 in .223. Is it safe or can I even shoot 5.56 ammo thru it? If I do will it damage the rifle or worse ME?

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
    I have a AR15 in .223. Is it safe or can I even shoot 5.56 ammo thru it? If I do will it damage the rifle or worse ME?
    Pressure is higher in 556 it will expand the case and lock it up from my experience

Comment

5.56 pressure is slightly higher than that of a 223, you’re not going to blowup your gun or thirst yourself. I’ve never seen a gun get damaged or locked up from doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot away, I have never had a problem, but that's me, do what you feel safe with.

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

Barrel should be marked. If it is marked .223 then don’t fire 556. If marked 556, safe for either

Comment

Never seen a 223 hurt from shooting 556. If you're worried about it, don't do it.

Comment

Listen to basschsr

Comment

Many AR barrels are 223 Wylde instead of 223 Remington. The Wylde chamber is designed for and safe for both 223 and 556. 223 Remington not so much, but in most cases there still isn’t an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by basschsr View Post
                  Barrel should be marked. If it is marked .223 then don’t fire 556. If marked 556, safe for either
                  ^^^THIS. My S&W M&P shoots both and is stamped. Check with manufacturer.

Comment

While in theory you shouldn't shoot 5.56 in .223, I've yet to see a single report of damage to a rifle for doing so. It may be slightly less reliable, but that's about it.

Comment

Is it 223 wylde?

Comment

ahhhhhh

i have shot it alllllll

in multipl rifles

some .223
                        some 5.56

everything from brass to steel

no issues

you will be fine !!

My opinion...
                        If it won’t shoot it- get rid of it

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          Many AR barrels are 223 Wylde instead of 223 Remington. The Wylde chamber is designed for and safe for both 223 and 556. 223 Remington not so much, but in most cases there still isn’t an issue.
                          This^^^

Comment

Shoot em all.... I do anyway.

Comment

As to your question, yes you can fire a 5.56 round in a 223 chamber. Whether it is safe or not is up for debate. The 5.56 develops much higher pressures. Both of my AR's have 5.56 stamped of the barrel so I don't worry about it. If they were stamped 223, then I would not fire a 5.56 out of it. But that's just me. Stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X