No announcement yet.

One caliber/gun...for North America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.270 I have never liked explosive pass thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
      450 Bushmaster for all shots under 250 yds! Everything I have shot with mine drops like a sack of taters!

Although I really like a 7mm REM Mag though. And my 25-06 and my 30-06 and my .270 and my .300 Win Mag and my...............................
      I'll almost say .45/70 because it'll do it all, under 150 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        300 WM no doubt. There's always "my buddy dropped a grizzly with a .243 guy".
        But you never get to hear the. " I shot ol griz with my trusty 243, but then that sucker ate me......."

Comment

It would be the 30 06 for me. It is a true and time tested cartridge. And it will dispatch any and all big game in North America, including the big bears.

Comment

7mag

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
              7-08 with the proper pills will tackle anything in North America. Heck , the 30-30 is a popular bear gun in the north east.
              I am pretty sure that there was a series where the host did exactly this but with a .30-30 lever gun. I think it was with Mossberg's 464. Not the greatest show, but a pretty cool premise. How many hunter's overthink what is needed for hunting? I know I am one, but when it comes down to it, almost any of the tried and true calibers would do the job and do it well. My personal favorite is the 7mm-08, at least here in the Greatest State of All: Texas, but I think I would opt for the .30-06 if I had to choose a 1 for all caliber. There are just so many variations of ammo available, without needing any hand loading done.

Comment

.270 or .30-06

I have both but would probably lean to .270 just cause it’s a bit flatter on average.

Comment

300 ROY for North American game. Texas, the 25-06 is a stone cold killer but I use my 300 ROY because the 25 tears them up too bad, a bloody mess!

Comment

Comment

I’m still going .270 for distance, and less carnage on the smaller stuff. .300 Weatherby is attractive as well though.

Comment

300 Win Mag. Plenty of options on loads and will kill anything in North America

Comment

A lot of Power Mongers on here. Shot placement and a .270 will be sufficient for North America, but just so I don't fall behind, I suggest a 50 Caliber

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
                            I use my 300 ROY because the 25 tears them up too bad, a bloody mess!
                            Are you referring to your shoulder? I still wince thinking about the kick on that 1970s Mark V.

Nobody is as accurate with a big magnum as they are with a medium cartridge. 280ai / 7 mag are right in the sweet spot in between.

Comment

.270 Win

Comment

30-06

Comment

Working...
                                X