Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    I’m out. Y’all keep posting dumb crap and looking for tracking dogs. Post a serious hunting topic and get hammered. Good grief
    You sound like a 3 year old leaving with his ball because he didn't get his way

I posted 2 links and can post 10 more if you like specifically on the subject of so called " culling " LF deer. There has been study after study with many millions spent on said subject.

I specifically sat down personally and talked to Dr.James Kroll about the subject. He said just like all other have stated... you're p*ssing in the wind. And as a matter of fact thay've done the same studies on HF ranches in which it took 10 years of intense culling before the bell curve moved to right. ( Without introduced genetics)

LF genetics can't and won't be altered. If you want to reduce mouths go for it, but that's killing not culling. Call it what it is.

Comment

Taking mouths off is the only good it does. Hammering low end changes nothing on LF property. Is everyone also hammering the low end does? You can’t even tell on them so the same genetics are there. The time with feed and increased age structure is what you see doing the good

Comment

I thought culling was what you did when you where just itching to shoot a deer, my neighbors do it a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

I posted 2 links and can post 10 more if you like specifically on the subject of so called " culling " LF deer. There has been study after study with many millions spent on said subject.

I specifically sat down personally and talked to Dr.James Kroll about the subject. He said just like all other have stated... you're p*ssing in the wind. And as a matter of fact thay've done the same studies on HF ranches in which it took 10 years of intense culling before the bell curve moved to right. ( Without introduced genetics)

LF genetics can't and won't be altered. If you want to reduce mouths go for it, but that's killing not culling. Call it what it is.
          No I get tired of the BS here. Post something about guns and some moron posts that you’re wrong and his 6.5 creed is the world best. Or his vortex is the best. And a ton of “bow hunters” that have “bow hunted” 10 years and haven’t killed a deer yet. But give advice on how to do it. I can on and on. It’s never ending here.

I agree on the part where it’s removing mouths. We aren’t shooting young deer. We aren’t shooting spikes.

The comment about me having some success then questioning experts is what ****** me off. You think I killed that deer on accident? That it was all luck?

Used to be able to come here and discuss hunting topics without the BS. I learned a lot here about bowhunting years ago. Now you can’t post much without a ton of BS getting posted. So yeah. I’ll go back to watching and posting classifieds stuff. I don’t even hardly go in the gun section anymore because of the stupidity. Think of all the quality guys that posted a lot years ago with great info. There’s a reason you don’t see that anymore. Not saying I’m a big help or a pro in any way. Have a good evening.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            No I get tired of the BS here. Post something about guns and some moron posts that you’re wrong and his 6.5 creed is the world best. Or his vortex is the best. And a ton of “bow hunters” that have “bow hunted” 10 years and haven’t killed a deer yet. But give advice on how to do it. I can on and on. It’s never ending here.

I agree on the part where it’s removing mouths. We aren’t shooting young deer. We aren’t shooting spikes.

The comment about me having some success then questioning experts is what ****** me off. You think I killed that deer on accident? That it was all luck?

Used to be able to come here and discuss hunting topics without the BS. I learned a lot here about bowhunting years ago. Now you can’t post much without a ton of BS getting posted. So yeah. I’ll go back to watching and posting classifieds stuff. I don’t even hardly go in the gun section anymore because of the stupidity. Think of all the quality guys that posted a lot years ago with great info. There’s a reason you don’t see that anymore. Not saying I’m a big help or a pro in any way. Have a good evening.
            Well post more about guns then.... it sounds like you know a ton about them. ( I know they go bang and kill stuff , that's about it) I come here to learn also... if you have knowledge share it, and ignore the idiots.

Comment

Well post more about guns then.... it sounds like you know a ton about them. ( I know they go bang and kill stuff , that's about it) I come here to learn also... if you have knowledge share it, and ignore the idiots.
              Nah. Cuz they’ll argue it. Bout like I’m fixing to do

More of a joke than an argument.

Millions were spent on the Hillary Clinton presidential run too. And millions thought that was the best way!

Had to. Haha

Comment

If you want to reduce mouths go for it, but that's killing not culling. Call it what it is.
                Come on man....That is ticky tack as hell...

When we remove mouths they are deer that have been rejected by our group after a certain age with an emphasis on their antlers. If we just shot any deer that ran through our view to remove said mouths, without any regard for age, or size that would be killing.

cull

vn remove something that has been rejected
                v look for and gather

Full Definitions of cull
                1v remove something that has been rejected
                cull the sick members of the herd”
                Type of: get rid of, remove dispose of

n. the person or thing that is rejected or set aside as inferior in quality

Synonyms:reject Type of: deciding, decision making

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Come on man....That is ticky tack as hell...

When we remove mouths they are deer that have been rejected by our group after a certain age with an emphasis on their antlers. If we just shot any deer that ran through our view to remove said mouths, without any regard for age, or size that would be killing.

cull

vn remove something that has been rejected
                  v look for and gather

Full Definitions of cull
                  1v remove something that has been rejected
                  cull the sick members of the herd”
                  Type of: get rid of, remove dispose of

n. the person or thing that is rejected or set aside as inferior in quality

Synonyms:reject Type of: deciding, decision making
                  So what you're doing is culling low fence deer based on Antler Quality. Deer that your group has " rejected " . I'd imagine they have unwanted characteristics.

It's already been proven your method is useless, but I'm sure in your mind you believe you're doing good. . Keep killing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

So what you're doing is culling low fence deer based on Antler Quality. Deer that your group has " rejected " . I'd imagine they have unwanted characteristics.

It's already been proven your method is useless, but I'm sure in your mind you believe you're doing good. . Keep killing

Pretend I am writing this in crayon so you can keep up...."in your mind"..

We are culling mature deer to remove mouths.....and we chose them by not shooting the deer with better traits at 4 and 5 so they can get even older and hopefully bigger.... Those we shoot have been selected and rejected by our group...aka culled and of course, killed.

We don't do it under the premise of thinking we are going to change the overall genetics which is where culling fails based on those very studies. (I can understand you confusing this) We use it as a guide to remove deer so the deer with better traits can have a better resources. Hope that is simple enough..
                    Last edited by Smart; 10-19-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I am not on a lease and never will be again. I am not a wildlife biologist and probably only marginally smart....unlike many around these parts...….but low fence or high fence I can guarantee you kill an inferior animal and he will never breed again. I don't care what Doctor dumbazz says. Deer have a range.....shoot deer that you don't care for within that range and it will make a difference over time. PERIOD...…...the small deer in the Hill Country have no impact in South Texas because that don't get down that way....

Comment

Pretend I am writing this in crayon so you can keep up...."in your mind"..

We are culling mature deer to remove mouths.....and we chose them by not shooting the deer with better traits at 4 and 5 so they can get even older and hopefully bigger.... Those we shoot have been rejected by our group.

We don't do it under the premise of thinking we are going to change the overall genetics which is where culling fails based on those very studies. (I can understand you confusing this) We use it as a guide to remove deer so the deer with better traits can have a better resources. Hope that is simple enough..
                        How about I slow it down for you.... you are not culling, culling in wild life management emphasizes you're killing deer to improve your genetic makeup.

It has nothing to do with numbers. You're killing not culling. Do I need to send you a few managment 101 books on recording, because it seems your interpretation skills are lacking.

Comment

We have nothing but low fences for atleast 20-40 miles in every direction from us. We let the kids and guest whack any 8s,9s they want.. It has not made one bit of difference in the quality or quantity of those deer from year to year. We are now on year 14.
                          We have a ton of 130-140 inch 10 points ever year. You can't recognize them from year to year to see how they progress. We don't shoot any of those unless they are 6-7.

I really think mother nature does a fine job at culling.

Comment

How about I slow it down for you.... you are not culling, culling in wild life management emphasizes you're killing deer to improve your genetic makeup.

It has nothing to do with numbers. You're killing not culling. Do I need to send you a few managment 101 books on recording, because it seems your interpretation skills are lacking.

Horse****.....that's a Cotulla cowboy coffee shop generalization to make your ticky tacky statement above to Trophy8 seem like it has some merit...

We use culling in the general sense of the term.. The deer biologists in a box types took a long time term and placed it in their handy dandy tool box vernacular and now want to **** up a rope and get butthurt when folks use the term any other way.... As if its a badge of honor and makes them better deeer stewards. It doesn't matter at ALL in the grand schemes of things W-T-F we or anybody calls it. It's a **** word by its definition not Jimmy Jimbob DilleyCowboy's definition or because TTHA says it is...
                            Last edited by Smart; 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Dr. Kroll??? You mean the "Oat is not a Oat" the "Buck Forage Oat" guy??

Comment

Horse****.....that's a Cotulla cowboy coffee shop generalization to make your ticky tacky statement above to Trophy8 seem like it has some merit...

We use culling in the general sense of the term.. The deer biologists in a box types took a long time term and placed it in their handy dandy tool box vernacular and now want to **** up a rope and get butthurt when folks use the term any other way.... As if its a badge of honor. It doesn't matter at ALL in the grand schemes of things W-T-F we or anybody calls it. It's a **** word by its definition..
                                LMAO!!! Them Astros won too baby..... you mad bro? keep drinking... hehe

Comment

Working...
                                X