Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 03-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
Lafuria
Spike

Hunt In: telegraph, kimble co
Default 300 acres protein or not

i own 300 acres in kimble county - neighbors mostly large ranches ( 3000, 7500, 1500, though now im high fenced on one side. i usually feed protein in early spring and summer though not heavy - now that corn and protein are close in price in considering just doing protein ( not free choice - i dont have the time to go enough to fill em up that often - they drained 1200 lbs in 3wks when i tried that) - my question is - would feeding protein (i would assume 3 stations and id prob get 3 2000lb timed with trough - being low fenced - would it even make a difference in my deer quality?
would be worth the investment?
( for more info - have white tail, some axis ( currently holding around 20 though they come and go and thank god survived the freeze), few syka, occasional black buck ( though not sure now)

any thoughts would be appreciated
Lafuria is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Twist
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I would.

The “family land” (it’s my parents place but that’s what they call it) is 152 acres. We’ve had a few feeders running protein for I believe 7 years now.

That’s a crab claw 8 at my feeder from before general season. I have a pic of him from about a month ago but can’t seem to find it. This is in Leon County by the way.

The antlers aren’t much for mass but the width is fairly nice. We’ve definitely noticed a difference in body mass. The boy in the picture above is 6-7 years old and he’s heavy for that area.

Biggest issue you’ll have is keeping them local, especially if one or more of the neighboring properties is feeding as well. We don’t really have that problem as most around us feed corn, if anything at all, and we run a couple of corn feeders as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I would do it. You may not see immediate results but you will long term.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, Ok

Other than the cost, I don't see a downside...
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #5
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Yes
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #6
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

yes
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I would do but neighbors will benefit most...my2c
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Yes.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #9
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County, Jim Hogg County

Yup
MasterOfNothing is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
WillowCity2506
Six Point

Hunt In: Willow City Loop

Yes, and twice on Sunday. Neighbors will always be an issue, even if your not feeding protein. Feed the protein if you are wanting to benefit the herd overall and increase body size and antler mass.
WillowCity2506 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #11
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Yes.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
Jimbo47
Eight Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

Yes, and your neighbors won't mind!
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #13
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Feed all you can. Will attract animals & hold them on your place. It does make a difference long term.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #14
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Yes
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #15
trykonroye
Ten Point

Hunt In: Drippin Springs,Spicewood, Brady, knippa,Colorado

The answer is yes. Also you might consider cottonseed as well. The feeders are easy to setup, it’s cheap, and last a little longer.
trykonroye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #16
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I own 360 acres and only feed protein in the fall to attempt hold deer on my place, and it seems to work fairly well. However, I’m of the opinion that it’s not possible to feed wild deer on small acreage enough to have a significant effect on their antlers or body condition.
My other problem is neighbors hunting literally right on my property lines on 3 sides, and I really don’t like the idea of feeding deer for the neighbors to shoot.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #17
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

If you're only wanting it to benefit you, the answer is no. If you want it to benefit the wildlife, I say yes. I've put out protein on my 11 acre home place. I don't shoot the deer, but neighbors do. They're not going to shoot them all, and the remainder will benefit from the extra food.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #18
antonlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria TX & SW MO

Yes - You will keep more deer on your property.
antonlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #19
Spino~
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I leased a little 160 acre property between George West & Freer TX a few years back. Low fence on all sides. I had the property for two seasons and each year I fed about 7 tons of cotton seed (from January - September & they loved it). The deer had tons of fat and would hold on the property, there were more deer holding the last year than the first year. I saw bucks jump 15" on antler growth too... Good luck!
Spino~ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #20
Farmdog
Pope & Young

Cotton seed works best
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #21
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I would and to save you some money.. buy you a protein feeder or adapt a hammer feeder to your unit so you can feed as much OR as little as you want to feed
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #22
TSUBryanG
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano, TX

I agree with the others, if money isnít an issue Iíd go for it. Weíve hunted the same place for 11 years now. Roughly 400 acres in Llano. Basically like hunting in a neighborhood with all the other hunters on every fence line. We struggled to hold mature bucks in the past (usually 1 killed a year out of 4 hunters) and after a year of protein we had the best year yet and saw more mature deer than ever before (4 out of 4 hunters killed mature deer). Protein seemed to draw them in during spring and held them much better than just corn all through the winter. Based purely on attraction itís worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TSUBryanG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #23
TreeDaddy
Four Point

Hunt In: same

I notice Atwoods and TSC are carrying cottonseed in 50 # bags now

How do you dispense this stuff?

thanks,

bill
TreeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #24
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Feed whatever the deer are attracted to the best. Timed protein isn't going to make a huge impact on body or antler size. Maybe a little benefit, but not huge. Mostly you should just focus on doing whatever you can do to make your place more attractive to the deer than the other side of the fence.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #25
el_tejas_gringo
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble County/Piney Woods

Feeding protein will never hurt. However, I think 3 2000lb feeders may be a little over kill. On my old lease in Telegraph, which was 2500ac, we had 1 1500lb protein feeder per 500ac. So 5 in total. I'd either just get 1 2000lb for a centralized protein feed station, or have 3 (1 per every 100ac) smaller feeders, 500-600lb in different locations. I believe in supplemental feeding, but not emptying out the pocket book on free range animals on smaller tracks of land. Just my .02.
el_tejas_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #26
Lafuria
Spike

i really appreciate all the advise, this has been helpful
Old 03-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #27
Spino~
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDaddy View Post
I notice Atwoods and TSC are carrying cottonseed in 50 # bags now

How do you dispense this stuff?

thanks,

bill
[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
Attachment 1044661
Attachment 1044667

Nothing fancy here, but it's way cheaper to buy the cotton seed in bulk like these 1 ton totes...

Last edited by Spino~; 03-25-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Spino~ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #28
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Yes, and your neighbors won't mind!
You're right but I've never hunted a low fence property big enough that neighbors weren't a factor. Even on places big as 15,000 - 20,000 acres. Only way to take them fully out of the equation is to buy up all the land or put up the tall fence.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #29
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

its a gamble. here in east texas for example, your neighbor often times kill the deer your after. im on a bigger lease that runs protein, as does most all our neighbors around us. i also hunt small tracts and on those im not going to waste the money. through camera data, i know for a fact that some of the deer ive been fortunate to kill in the last few years do not live on my property, some not even close during the growing season.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #30
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany / Sterling City / Mexico

I would feed whatever you can afford. If attracting deer is the main focus, I would prioritize feeding in the late summer throughout the season. Obviously feeding year round is ideal, but if I could only afford protein for 4 moths a year on a small LF place with surrounding hunting pressure, I would feed Sep-Dec, purely as an attractant.

I have 320 acres in Irion County, and keep 4 protein feeders going year round. Probably much lower densities than Kimble Co so I can keep it in the budget.(wife might disagree) I also have solar water wells and troughs all over the property, which I think is a big draw - especially in dry times. Look into your water situation if it's lacking.

Deer certainly will overlap between my feeders and I am probably feeding around 20-30 deer at any given point of the year.

I think most whitetails (excluding the rut), keep their daily travels to about a square mile. Spreading out your feed stations, and feeding as much as you can afford surely will draw in and hold deer that otherwise would not frequent your place.

The feed program makes it harder for me to pull the trigger. After watching a buck grow all summer & early fall, I get sucked into the "one more year" trap, and have let several bucks go I should have dropped. Probably to get hit by the neighbors - but it's all part of the LF game.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 11:26 PM   #31
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Our family has around 500-600 acres. Iíve had one timed 2000lb protein feeder on my portion of the ranch going on 5yrs now. I feed roughly 2-3 tons per year.

Cameras have allowed me to determine how much to throw per feeding. During these past 5yrs my deer numbers have skyrocketed. Does are fat and healthy and twin fawns are not uncommon. This coming year I really need to focus on removing a few doe, they usually get a pass .Our bucks are fairly small and havenít made much of a jump, but I have noticed young bucks that would normally be spikes would be fork horns, much more young 6 and 8pts and even a couple of 9 and 10s. The past couple of years the bucks have been really young and have gotten a pass from me. Seems like fewer ďroamingĒ bucks come through.

This past year I had several hunts where Iíd have 15-20 deer feeding morning and evening. While this may be common for some, just 10-15years ago on this property I was lucky to see more than a couple deer an entire season.

Feeding protein on my place will never produce the quality of animals some people have, but itís completely changed our deer density. I enjoy feeding our deer and as time has gone on I get just as much enjoyment watching them being silly curious deer as I do putting one in the freezer.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #32
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states

I feed cattle creep protein year round or mostly year round at my parents small place in Leon County. Keeps the deer around and makes a difference on the bucks. Cattle creep was like 8.75 a bag I believe just a couple of months ago.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
txbowman12
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Not adding anything new here, but we feed protein on just under 300 acres. Sure it helps "the neighbors deer" but it also helps our deer and keeps them on the property and healthier. I try to avoid the "neighbors deer" mentality, because I can't control what they do or don't do, but if I don't feed the herd because of that, it only hurts (or at least doesn't benefit) the same deer I'm trying to hunt. Same thing goes with passing on bucks. We walked 3 deer that were all pretty decent for where we are. 2 survived. None of them would have if we had the "neighbors" mentality.

Do it if you can afford to, I get a kick out of watching them hit the feed. Only downside is you will develop an uncontrollable rage towards raccoons!
txbowman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #34
roadkill54
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX and Western Hill Country Tx

If you can afford it do it. We're in Sutton County where the buck weights of mature deer were 160 lbs. 9 yrs later after pouring protein, cottonseed (last 2 yrs 40K lbs plus) and adding alfalfa now our body weights topped out at 230 last fall. Antlers hit 190 inches gross score - all the deer are showing massive body weight increases over the years and the bucks well lets just say I am really happy with whats happening. It benefits the whole herd-yes your neighbors will pick a few off but if you pound it to them during the winter the does will hang on your place along with the boys
roadkill54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 10:18 PM   #35
Lafuria
Spike

Appreciate the info guys, im gonna get planning
Old 06-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #36
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

A good healthy doe herd is always beneficial to having healthy fawns and our does crush protein. The protein will help keep does on your place and they have the one thing bucks will come looking for and never turn down.

I would put a protein feeder at the two furthest apart corn feeders or at least feeders on different sides of property. 3 protein feeders would be a little over kill in my opinion.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #37
Johnny44
Ten Point

Hunt In: https://miamoo.org/

If your neighbors feed, I wouldn’t. I’d make the place a sanctuary. If you do feed I’d place it square in the middle and use something the neighbors ain’t. If you get them addicted to Record Rack WildBerry blocks you got it made.

Once you get them addicted you stop feeding during the fall except while you are there.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #38
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I don't know how much more I can afford. Even cotton seed it getting high.

Corn (Apple Scented & Regular) $9.30
Woerner Mix Milo, Corn, Soybean 14% Protein $13.00
Antler Plus Protein Pellets 16% Protein $13.00
Rack Rage Deer Attractant 20% Protein $13.00
Corn/Soybean Mix 18% Protein $13.50
Chaffhaye $13.75
Record Rack Protein Pellets 20% Protein $14.00
Whole Cotton Seed 50 lbs 22% Protein $14.50
Fortified Cotton Seed 50 lbs 22% Protein $15.50
Triumph Complete Alfalfa Pellets $15.00
Golden Deer Nugget 13% Protein $15.50
Buck Developer (Special Order) $20.00