Any carpenters on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any carpenters on here?

Was wondering how hard it would be to build a wooden deck around our new cabin instead of wraparound dconcrete porches. Total slab was gojng to be 34x44 with a 22x36 cabin, but would really rather have a wooden porch all the way around.

Not difficult. Concrete would be less maintenance and have less issues in long run. Good luck

Comment

To go along with the wooden porch are you talking covered?
      Wood porch around the place is simple. A covered wooden porch around the cabin is much harder and probably a good idea to hire a real carpenter.

Comment

Pour concrete it's actually cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          To go along with the wooden porch are you talking covered?
          Wood porch around the place is simple. A covered wooden porch around the cabin is much harder and probably a good idea to hire a real carpenter.

Canopies above porch will be built by satterwhite. I'm just talking about the flooring.

Comment

Get a good impact driver, bucket of screws, and a trailer load of treated 2x6, it's easy.

Comment

Poor concrete. And stain it. I do a lot of woodworking. Not on a large scale but I have done a porch. You will need to rip it all up in 8-10 years. Poor the concrete you will be glad you did.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                Canopies above porch will be built by satterwhite. I'm just talking about the flooring.
                Then you should be able to do it your self.

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                Get a good impact driver, bucket of screws, and a trailer load of treated 2x6, it's easy.
                This^^^ plus ad several 2x8 or 2x16 concrete tiles to set your framing on.
                If you have no idea where to start there are some good do it yourself books at Home Depot

Comment

If it is under a roof and built right it should last longer than that.

Comment

Any carpenters on here?

Don't you guys think that would look better with a log cabin than concrete?? Based on concrete bids it'll be 3500-3800 less if we just pour a slab for the house area. So I figured we could put that $$ back towards a wooden porch

Comment

Don't you guys think that would look better with a log cabin than concrete?? Based on concrete bids it'll be 3500-3800 less if we just pour a slab for the house area. So I figured we could put that $$ back towards a wooden porch
                      I think I would look better than concrete but you also have to figure things like rattlesnakes and rats and coons the like will take shelter under that wood porch.
                      Not a huge deal but a possibility.
                      A nice slab on maybe 1- 2 sides and wood on the other two might be an option.

Comment

I know it would look better. I'm close to finishing my house with 2440 sq. ft.of cedar porch and its awesome. Don't let any one talk you out of building your home the way you want. Your the one looking at it as long as you live there.
                        Go for it! And congrats on the new home
                        Last edited by lameduck; 08-09-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Prefer the look of a wood deck. Concrete is just not natural looking outside. And concrete WILL crack. I'd rather replace boards then look at cracked concrete.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Anyone care to help me on how much of and what materials I would need to do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X