No announcement yet.

Canning Salsa - Step by step with Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got maters and cayennes I’d be interested in trying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Does the sugar make it taste sweet at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great guide. You sure made it look easy lol

Comment

Originally posted by hunterdrake View Post
          Does the sugar make it taste sweet at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I made 8 pints yesterday with this recipe as a guide. It is a tad sweet for us but not bad. I will continue using but just cut the sugar next time.

Comment

Wife made 8 pints last week that was a little sweet . . She forgot the salt . . Made another 8 pints today . . Perfect . . Added 2 jalapenos and more garlic, as well as included the salt . . Tomatoes winding down, might get one more batch . . Thanks

Comment

Scotty, I see that you just cut the maters and blend them as they are. I was always told to blanch the maters and peal them. In your salsa does the peal give any issues with texture.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Warren View Post
                Scotty, I see that you just cut the maters and blend them as they are. I was always told to blanch the maters and peal them. In your salsa does the peal give any issues with texture.

I don’t blend the tomatoes. I just pulse them. It’s not a restraunt style smooth salsa. It’s chunky. When cooked, the skins soften up. I’ve never had any complaints about texture.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Looks good!!

Comment

ttt that time of year again making some today.

Comment

I know what I am doing this weekend since I won't get to make it to the deer woods.

Comment

It may have been said and you may already do it yourself ... I confess I just looked at the pics and did not read.....
                          your recipe looks awesome and probably tastes just as well but if you fired up the pit or the smoker and either smoked or fire roasted the peppers, garlic cloves, tomatoes, and onions.... your flavor would absolutely pop.

I grow my own peppers ( jalapeño, Serrano, chili pequin, orange habanero, cayenne and poblanos and make (sometimes sale) salsa and it’s good but an OLD Spanish lady that lives next door to my mom said “fire roast all that first boy...thank me later”

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                            ttt that time of year again making some today.
                            Thanks man, I’m going to buy the stuff tomorrow and make some

Comment

Canning Salsa - Step by step with Photos

It's getting to be that time of year again, so I thought I'd bump this.

Updated the recipe a bit.

Chunky Salsa
                              Makes ~12 qts
                              30 lbs San Marzano or Roma Tomatoes
4 Bunches Green Onions
                              A
                              2 Large White Onions
                              20 Serrano Peppers
                              4 Heads of Garlic 
1/2 cup Vinegar
                              3 Tbsp. Lime juice
                              3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
                              2 Bunches Cilantro
                              4 Tbsp. Salt
                              4 Tbsp. Sugar

Run all the tomatoes through a food processor. Just pulse them and leave them chunky. Put the tomatoes on the stove at medium heat. Run the rest of the vegetables (except the peppers) through the processor until finely chopped. Mix all ingredients well.
                              Bring the salsa to a boil. Skim some of the excess liquid to make it thicker. Then add vinegar, lemon/ lime juice, salt, and sugar, and simmer at a slow boil. I add the chopped peppers now, a little at a time tasting as I go to get the level of heat I want.
                              Pour into jars, wipe rims, attach lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
                              You can store this unrefrigerated.

Cut recipe in half to make 12 pints.
                              Last edited by scotty; 06-15-2022, 05:21 PM.

Comment

We actually made some using the original recipe last night. So dang good!!! We will be making some more if the garden keeps producing. Thanks for sharing the recipe and knowledge

Comment

Working...
                                X