Beaumont Exxon union strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
    Why the EM bosses and not the union bosses?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Because they initiated the lockout, with no concern for the well being of the workers family or welfare. Its just, "there is the gate, so hit it!"

It would be the equivalent of your employer locking the doors until you agreed on lower pay, less benefits. Unless you are self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Because they initiated the lockout, with no concern for the well being of the workers family or welfare. Its just, "there is the gate, so hit it!"

It would be the equivalent of your employer locking the doors until you agreed on lower pay, less benefits. Unless you are self employed.
      Last edited by slayr; 10-20-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
        Calvin…as I stated above, let’s not confuse fact with fiction.
        Fact, I have kin that work there. Just going by what they say. Essentially this is a revenge tactic from past bargaining tactics by the Union, initiated by EM.

Not sure what the fiction part would be. Might want to ask some of the families that are affected by this lockout.

In truth, it is almost a forgotten deal in the GT. Is EM paying the media to NOT cover it? I don't know, but seems plausible.

I talked to my kin and urged them to go some where else, lots of businesses hiring that are way better than EM, true on that one. Besides, he is young...ish, so he could do it with little pain involved.

Hey, how you know my name? Have we met?

Comment

Fact, I have kin that work there. Just going by what they say. Essentially this is a revenge tactic from past bargaining tactics by the Union, initiated by EM.

Not sure what the fiction part would be. Might want to ask some of the families that are affected by this lockout.

In truth, it is almost a forgotten deal in the GT. Is EM paying the media to NOT cover it? I don't know, but seems plausible.

I talked to my kin and urged them to go some where else, lots of businesses hiring that are way better than EM, true on that one. Besides, he is young...ish, so he could do it with little pain involved.

Hey, how you know my name? Have we met?
          Yeah, we’ve met….more than once, too.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
            Yeah, we’ve met….more than once, too.
            Spill the beans Shugah! I hope it was a nice visit.

I know a couple of guys from the Conroe area, but don't think you are either one.

Ya killin me dude.
            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-20-2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

You make a deal with the devil(union and Big Corp) and thats what you get. Sleep in the bed you make. Thats why I love capitalism. If your boss doesn't pay you enough you can go find another job. If you work hard and are worth more than another employee doing the same job you get paid more. Not the same as a union scale. I am a small business employer. I have only gone to my employees once in 20 plus years and said I need to take some money away from you. It was actually stated as the 8 of you can take a pay cut and all keep your jobs. Or I can let two of you go and the other 6 keep the same pay but pick up extra work from the two let go. They all agreed to take a pay cut and all 8 stay on board. We got back on our feet as a company and as soon as I could I got them back to what they were making plus some. Im glad I have a business in Texas so I can work with my employees. By the way all 8 are still employed 12 years later.

Comment

I had my heart set on working for Exxon when I went back to school. I applied for a co op and was turned down. As luck would have it I missed an email to interview again and got a call from the guy over the co op program. He ask why I didn't come in for an interview and told me someone was supposed to have contacted me to tell me they wanted to hire me.. I was driving out of the parking lot from current employer having just signed to co op with them.. Turns out God does put you in the best situations even though you are disappointed at the time..
                Last edited by jds247; 10-20-2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  You make a deal with the devil(union and Big Corp) and thats what you get. Sleep in the bed you make. Thats why I love capitalism. If your boss doesn't pay you enough you can go find another job. If you work hard and are worth more than another employee doing the same job you get paid more. Not the same as a union scale. I am a small business employer. I have only gone to my employees once in 20 plus years and said I need to take some money away from you. It was actually stated as the 8 of you can take a pay cut and all keep your jobs. Or I can let two of you go and the other 6 keep the same pay but pick up extra work from the two let go. They all agreed to take a pay cut and all 8 stay on board. We got back on our feet as a company and as soon as I could I got them back to what they were making plus some. Im glad I have a business in Texas so I can work with my employees. By the way all 8 are still employed 12 years later.
                  You are a good man and business owner.

Comment

I can’t see why anyone would be part of a union. I’ve worked around union welders offshore and non union welders. I’d take a non union member any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      I can’t see why anyone would be part of a union. I’ve worked around union welders offshore and non union welders. I’d take a non union member any day of the week.
                      Union hands are not what they once where, that I promise.. I can say this from experience.. The pride of a job well done is gone in most Union hands these days.. It's a shame but it is the world we now live in.. Union maintenance hands are the worst.. Always have been.. The bad ones drag the few good ones down.. Like crabs in a bucket.
                      I was Union for 15 years. I have not been Union for the last 15... I have seen both sides..

Comment

I work in a non union plant and my brother in law works for a union plant. The things he complains about i am very glad we dont have to deal with. I know most of our benefits and wages were originated by union plants and im thankful for that. But as of now im glad i dont work for a union plant.

Hope the guys locked out by EM can come to an agreement that works for all and get back to work.

Comment

I dont have a dog in the race but have a couple questions:#1 Folks are saying the lockout isnt fair but was the lockout just EM getting the jump on the union before the union walked out? This way EM could get staffing in place before all hands walked out. #2 News is saying the unions issues are about Seniority,job security and safety. I understand the seniority and job security but what is the unsafe part? Seems like whenever a strike or contract negotiation comes up then the union always says its about safety but noone ever says whats unsafe. Could someone clear this up for me? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            Union hands are not what they once where, that I promise.. I can say this from experience.. The pride of a job well done is gone in most Union hands these days.. It's a shame but it is the world we now live in.. Union maintenance hands are the worst.. Always have been.. The bad ones drag the few good ones down.. Like crabs in a bucket.
                            I was Union for 15 years. I have not been Union for the last 15... I have seen both sides..
                            At our union represented facility union craftsman have to pass multiple skill level tests to get hired. And, they are required to attend and pass multiple continuing education classes provided by the company and vendors throughout their career. How many of your non-crab contractors are required to do that?

VERY FEW.
                            You are lucky if half of them speak English.

Comment

Is there a law that EM has to keep using Union labor?
                              It seems to me if they didn't want union labor they would just fire those hands and hire non-union. At the same time if the union hands don't like working there, why don't they quit and go somewhere else?

Pretty much what I have always done.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                                At our union represented facility union craftsman have to pass multiple skill level tests to get hired. And, they are required to attend and pass multiple continuing education classes provided by the company and vendors throughout their career. How many of your non-crab contractors are required to do that?

VERY FEW.
                                You are lucky if half of them speak English.
                                For me it wasn’t the work qualifications, it was the work ethic and productivity levels. They were all knowledgeable just lacking drive and half hearted quality. The non union guys finished their jobs twice as fast, so I had them assist the the other guys. Turns out you can’t do that for violating their contract. I was in awe. So we had to let the good welders go and we’re stuck with the slackers for another two weeks. It was definitely noted with projects at the after action review. I know this is a general example in recent experiences but I remember the same issues when working at plants as contractor base load and the union guys in that plant. I’m sure their are still some hard working union guys out there that still take pride their work and still has that your not going to work harder than me attitude but I haven’t seen one.

Comment

Working...
                                X