Brownwood, Tx FOOD PLOTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brownwood, Tx FOOD PLOTS

Any of y’all hunt around here that have successfully planted year after year? If so what have you had the best luck with in this very sandy soil?
    (What not to plant is just as useful too!)
    I’m hunting west of the lake closer to “Grosvenor”

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy lives out there. I think he’s had good luck with oats and or rye grass. Maybe he will chime in

Comment

Turnips

Comment

Certified oats from ag mart in brownwood. Only issue I ever have is we get 1 good early rain and then that’s it. Last season my oats didn’t start growing till season was over.

Comment

My place is just SW of Grovsvenor but it is mostly rough hills so no place to plant oats.

Comment

We’ve had good luck with wheat, oats, and brassicas.

Comment

It's about a 50-50 chance you'll get timely rains.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                It's about a 50-50 chance you'll get timely rains.
                Seems like over the last four out of five years we’ve had a good early rain and then nothing till late December. Hope it’s different this year but we are dry as heck right now.

Comment

Brownwood, Tx FOOD PLOTS

Originally posted by crowmagnum View Post
                  My place is just SW of Grovsvenor but it is mostly rough hills so no place to plant oats.

Interesting. I am also SW of Grosvenor. Wonder how close we are?

Last edited by Seay; 09-29-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I have always fed protein so am going to be very new to the plot but think we may try it next year.

Comment

Oats or winter wheat. Now is the time to plant. If it rains, you're a farmer.

Comment

I’m about 30 miles south of Brownwood near Richland Springs and have had varying degrees of success, all depending on rainfall. I went to a food plot seminar in Brownwood a number of years ago and the first speaker got up and said “I can sum this up for you all. If you need it you probably can’t grow it and if you can grow it you probably don’t need it. Any questions?”

Comment

Working...
                        X