Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some duck hunting property around Houston

Good morning, all!

I am looking for some land to work on in order to make a great hunting property. I am fresh out of school so a lease is not my main focus. I am not against paying for a lease but I am trying to save money if possible. Just trying not to break the bank.

I would like a place to duck hunt. Even if it was a family rice field, etc. I just really enjoy duck hunting with my lab and an occasional guest. I am an ethical hunter and I live to hunt. I also treat other people's property as I would treat my own. If anyone has any property or has any leads on a place that has potential and does not get used, I would like to speak with them about it! Preferably within about two hours of Houston. I would greatly appreciate some information!

Thanks guys!

Best of luck friend. I've been after some duck land for years. I've resorted to begging, pleading, crying, and just down right shameful groveling. Honestly your best bet is to find a local group of hunters and offer to be there gofer and carry all the gear and ducks. That way you wont break the bank, and you'll get some action on ducks.

Comment

If there's any good duck hunting land near Houston anymore, the outfitters have it locked up. It's getting harder and harder to get leases even as far as El Campo.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
          Best of luck friend. I've been after some duck land for years. I've resorted to begging, pleading, crying, and just down right shameful groveling. Honestly your best bet is to find a local group of hunters and offer to be there gofer and carry all the gear and ducks. That way you wont break the bank, and you'll get some action on ducks.
          Thanks man! I appreciate the well wishes. I'm tempted to just start hunting public.

Comment

There's a place

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Thank you for that! But I just can't justify that for one season.

Comment

I'm going to advocate breaking the bank. Hunt as much as you want. Assuming you aren't about to get married and make a kid fresh out if college. If you are, postpone all that and still use all funds on hunting.

"You will run out of time before you run out of money."

Comment

Just piggy backing of what others have said, I’m not sure what you are looking for exist anymore. The cheapest lease on the prarie i believe is Riceland and is around $1,600 a gun and the most expensive is Thunderbird which is around $4,700. Ducks leases are a lot like deer, unless you find a unicorn you will get what you pay for.

Comment

Any lease near Houston is big $. Most the "affordable" leases require group memberships, reserving blinds, dealing with lease politics, all to sit in a taco stand next to a flooded field where you might get lucky and shoot a bird. My advice if you are seriously wanting to hunt, hunt public and PUT IN THE WORK. There are plenty of good public places within 2 hours of Houston to duck hunt. The hard part is dealing with all the duck dynasty wannabes, patterning birds, walking a long way to get away from the crowds, learning what works and doesn't. The effort, or lack thereof, is why most public "hunters" are absolutely clueless and don't do well. It's dang hard, but if you're serious and want to work for it, public is cheap and very rewarding.
                    Last edited by jdg13; 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                      I'm going to advocate breaking the bank. Hunt as much as you want. Assuming you aren't about to get married and make a kid fresh out if college. If you are, postpone all that and still use all funds on hunting.

"You will run out of time before you run out of money."
                      Best advice so far!

Public land is going to be your next best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                        Any lease near Houston is big $. Most the "affordable" leases require group memberships, reserving blinds, dealing with lease politics, all to sit in a taco stand next to a flooded field where you might get lucky and shoot a bird. My advice if you are seriously wanting to hunt, hunt public and PUT IN THE WORK. There are plenty of good public places within 2 hours of Houston to duck hunt. The hard part is dealing with all the duck dynasty wannabes, patterning birds, walking a long way to get away from the crowds, learning what works and doesn't. The effort, or lack thereof, is why most public "hunters" are absolutely clueless and don't do well. It's dang hard, but if you're serious and want to work for it, public is cheap and very rewarding.
                        Thanks for the information. I am new to duck hunting so I'm sure people see me as a duck dynasty wannabe because of my age. However I have hunted all my life and it is a passion. Definitely a more difficult sport to get into than deer hunting but I will have to learn over the years as you have stated.

Thanks all for the information. I get it that good places are big $. Just for me, I'd rather own a boat for $2,500 an entire year rather than just for 2 months.

Comment

I have one spot open on my group its $1500 call me if your interested
                          281-914-9077

Comment

You are pretty far from me, I'm in NE Texas. Me and a couple of buddies group hunt public land if you are ever interested in heading this way. That is a pretty far drive for you though. 9803-421-2504 if you are ever interested.

Comment

Scout the public land and learn it well. Over a few years you will learn some great spots...as good as any lease or guided hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X