Notching a fawns ear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notching a fawns ear

Anybody ever notched a fawns ear to be able to if it later? I have done domestic pigs. We caught a fawn once that was injured. Raised it to about 6 months and took it back. I ear tagged it. We hunted 250 acres in the hill country and never saw it again. 5 years later rancher saw it, big 8 point with a yellow tag. That tag probably saved his life a few times. I think It would be interesting to be able to identify a deer from a fawn up to maturity with out having to tag it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think this would be legal.

Comment

My dad did 2 doe fawns years ago. Also tagged one once. Pretty cool to see how far they traveled. A friend from high school has a buck mounted that had been caught in a hog trap as a spike and again the following year. His dad and uncles notched an ear each time he was caught. He killed him when he was mature and had him mounted just as he was. Pretty neat conversation piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
        I don’t think this would be legal.
        Seems like I have read that it would be illegal even though all it would do is allow you to recognize deer

Should have just done it and kept it to yourself

Comment

How would this be different than tagging deer in a high fence? Or can you even legally do that on a native deer? Just curious

I think it would be cool to tag one to see how it develops over the years. Especially if you had a large tract of land or a high fence.

Comment

GW will be contacting you soon.

Comment

Not something I would do or condone. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

We tagged a axis buck we raised. Just be quick about it if you try. One jerk of the head and they end up with a nicely split ear.

Comment

As others have said, probably not legal.

But if a fawn happened to have an ear notched crossing a barb wire fence, that would be unfortunate for it. But also give an identifying mark.

Comment

Is it illegal to tag a deer in Texas?
                    Answer: First, let me say that it is illegal to catch a wild deer in Texas to put a tag in its ear, or do anything else to it for that matter. So all legally ear tagged deer will belong to someone. The State approves and permits deer breeders and they will be the ones tagging deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangefinder View Post
                      GW will be contacting you soon.

Let him bring it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One time in Ruidoso I saw a mule deer doe that had a 22 cal hole in its ear. Wondered how that got there... but it sure made that one deer easy to identify.

I had nothing to do with any of it, just made the observation.

Comment

I have watched all the "Lone Star Law" seasons and I am going to make an executive call and say this is illegal lol

Comment

Heck I know a place where there is a deer that wears a collar. Hunter orange collar.

Comment

I feel like this is one of those things thats ok to do but not ok to tell too many people about. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X