Mini Split AC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Split AC question

I want to air condition my garage and looking for info on the Mini Split units. It is a 2 car garage roughly 20' x 20' x 8' ceiling. What size mini split would work for this? I have an electrician coming out this week to see if I can have 220v setup, if not then I would be limited to a 110v unit. What brands are the better ones and what brands are the ones to stay away from?

I would ask your electrician what he sees most and get numbers to call and see how the mini- splits are working out.

Comment

I had a Daikin, for many trouble free years.

Comment

I did a bunch of research and went with Mitsubishi mini split for my shop.

Comment

Is it insulated?
          2 big doors garage doors or 1, are they insulated?
          What level of cool are we talking here?
          Garage doors opening and closing?
          If doors are opening and closing, no insulation, you like it cold, and it's a °100, then 2, 24k.
          No insulation, and doors closed, a 36k would suffice.
          If spray foamed walls, insulated doors, and doors kept shut you could use a 24k.
          I've put in a bunch, but I'm not a expert, no complaints yet.
          Mitsubishi, Daikin, LG, take your pick.
          My buddy had me put Mr Cools in several tiny homes, no issues with any of them so far, and cheaper than the big names.
          Parts can be hard to come by, warranties can be tough to deal with on any of em.
          If having a local company do it, go with whatever brand they deal in.
          Last edited by MadHatter; 07-25-2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Is it insulated?
            2 big doors garage doors or 1, are they insulated?
            What level of cool are we talking here?
            Garage doors opening and closing?
            If doors are opening and closing, no insulation, you like it cold, and it's a °100, then 2, 24k.
            No insulation, and doors closed, a 36k would suffice.
            If spray foamed walls, insulated doors, and doors kept shut you could use a 24k.
            I've put in a bunch, but I'm not a expert, no complaints yet.
            The garage door is 16' wide x 7' tall
            As cool as I can get it, I dont really have a temperature in mind.
            It would be used when the garage door is closed
            I will be putting insulation in the walls and ceiling
            I am pricing out insulated garage door this week. I may end up insulating my current door

Comment

In for all of this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there anyway you can get duct from your house to the garage?

Comment

We went with a Cooper and Hunter on our cabin build… after 8 months, 5ish of not having AC, we trashed the whole system and put a traditional system in our cabin.

I did the C&H because it was cheaper… and I could do it myself… huge mistake.

Our AC guy says he will only Install Mitsubishi and Daiken for this reason. Get what you pay for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                    The garage door is 16' wide x 7' tall
                    As cool as I can get it, I dont really have a temperature in mind.
                    It would be used when the garage door is closed
                    I will be putting insulation in the walls and ceiling
                    I am pricing out insulated garage door this week. I may end up insulating my current door
                    If you insulate it well, but only plan on turning it on when you're out there, I would get a 36k.
                    Having to cool down a hot room that big is going to take a min.

Comment

I have a 3 car garage and have the one car part sectioned off with the plastic slats that you see on a walk in cooler. I also have the door insulated. I run a York 12k btu and it will get that side of the garage colder than the house in 30-40 min during a summer day.

Comment

I recently had a Mitsubishi minisplit installed to cool exactly the same scenario you describe and it works wonderfully. 220 volt. Very happy with the efficiency.

Comment

I bought one from Pioneer for my 15x16 office. I went with the 12k BTU. It works great and I can not even hear it running.

Comment

i installed the mr cool home depot going on 2 yrs now and it has been the best money ive spent in a while

this one has federal and local rebates that will get you 600$ back

best of all its all DIY and super easy to install, comes precharged you just have to open the lines when you hook it all up

Comment

I got the 220 installed and ready. I see some using 12k and others suggesting 30k plus. The garage is basically 20 x 20 and I will be insulating starting next week. Is it better to go 30k plus?

Comment

Working...
                              X