Black Locust Pod Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Locust Pod Drop

When do the black locust pods drop in Central Texas?

Sure you don't mean the honey locust, or what I like to call them. Red Thorned B@$t@rd Bush.

Comment

i have them and never seen any pods on them.

doing my best to kill all i can

Comment

Are you talking about Gleditsia triacanthos? If so they usually drop late in the year. Decemberish. Deer will target the pods as a late season food source when everything else is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I ID'd them through binoculars, and it could be honey locust, but pretty sure it's black locust. Long pale yellowish green pods, like 8"-10". I found what I'm pretty sure is a honey locust a couple days later and the pods are much redder.

Comment

Seed pods on Black Locust only get to about 4" long. Honey locust gets up to a foot long.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
              Seed pods on Black Locust only get to about 4" long. Honey locust gets up to a foot long.
              Interesting. Then I guess it would be honey locust.

Comment

Pretty sure it depends on where in Texas you are and maybe the weather too. In Central Texas last year I remember seeing the ground tore up under some small trees in the early season, and I've seen deer eat on them well before Thanksgiving. All you can do is keep an eye on them. They do eat them though.

Comment

I discovered the secret of getting rid of Honey Locust this year. Sell the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
                    I discovered the secret of getting rid of Honey Locust this year. Sell the land.
                    Hey, I've got some honey holes that are covered in those suckers.

Comment

Working...
                    X