Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any low voltage lighting experts around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any low voltage lighting experts around?

So, my home was built in the 90's. They ran speaker wires in the walls going to 5 spots up high connected to Bose speakers. I would like to remove the speakers and replace with lights. I assume it would have to be low voltage because of the wire involved. I can't really find anything online that looks like it would work. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Find out what gauge wire it is first, and go from there.
    Most of the flat retro led ceiling lights will work, unless they ran something ridiculously small for the bose.
    How you get power to em is probably the hardest part.
    If you have attic access, put a single gang retro ring in behind the TV(assuming they terminate there), and use the existing wire to pull some new wire if need be.
    UNLESS the idiots made figure eights around the trusses and it's all decked .
    Lotta of possible scenarios, but without pics or more details it's just a guess.

Comment

Need to find a spot for a transformer in the attic to convert 120v to low voltage.

Comment

Where is the other end of those five cables?
        Need pics of cable. What does it say on the jacket? Is it double jacketed, or the standard old gold colored 2 conductor lampcord type wire?
        Its most likely going to be either a cl2 or cl3 cable.. class2 is rated 150v, where as class3 is 300v.
        Most light fixtures require a ground wire.. 3 conductors.
        Is there any access to your ceiling

Comment

I should have said, they are not on the ceiling, they are on the wall, small 3" speakers. One is actually on the fireplace brick dead center up high (cathedral ceilings).
          They all meet at a hole behind the tv area. There was an old school block there, the one with the red and black slots where you just poke your speaker wire into, now its just a bunch of wires, they look like lamp cord. clear old school speaker wire. 3 speakers on one wall and 2 on opposite side of the room. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Comment

pics

pics
            Attached Files

Comment

How many lumens per fixture do you want?
              Are you wanting wall sconces?
              Indirect lighting?
              Search for "interior low voltage lighting"
              Options do exist..
              It looks dark...
              You could take the fan down.. then add a pattern of 6" led disc/wafer lights.. off from the fan light circuut,.. say 6 of them... provided there is fiberglass or an airspace behind tge sheet rock.
              Does the fan have 2 switches?
              Could keep the fan/light on one standard switch.. then after adding the discs, .you could put them on a dimmer...
              Keep the speakers.
              Menards sells a Juno 6pk for $109.99, they have a switch.. allowing you to set the color temp how you like it.
              They also have 4"..
              The 6" gives more hand drill room..
              Might be possible to take part of the center beam down.. to use as a raceway to run your romex
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 06-22-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                How many lumens per fixture do you want?
                Are you wanting wall sconces?
                Indirect lighting?
                Search for "interior low voltage lighting"
                Options do exist..
                It looks dark...
                You could take the fan down.. then add a pattern of 6" led disc/wafer lights.. off from the fan light circuut,.. say 6 of them... provided there is fiberglass or an airspace behind tge sheet rock.
                Does the fan have 2 switches?
                Could keep the fan/light on one standard switch.. then after adding the discs, .you could put them on a dimmer...
                Keep the speakers.
                Menards sells a Juno 6pk for $109.99, they have a switch.. allowing you to set the color temp how you like it.
                They also have 4"..
                The 6" gives more hand drill room..
                Might be possible to take part of the center beam down.. to use as a raceway to run your romex
                I guess what you are saying is add some lights, leave the speakers alone. Yes, the lighting is not good. Just the ceiling fan and the bulbs are the small ones like a dang Christmas tree light. I figured it would be easier to remove speakers and use already existing holes rather than patch those and start from scratch. The wife doesn't like the speakers, wants them to disappear. Maybe I am being lazy. lol

Comment

Maybe you could remove the speakers, tie on some regular wire to one end of the speaker wire, and pull it through. Replace the speaker wire with wire for regular lights and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                    I guess what you are saying is add some lights, leave the speakers alone. Yes, the lighting is not good. Just the ceiling fan and the bulbs are the small ones like a dang Christmas tree light. I figured it would be easier to remove speakers and use already existing holes rather than patch those and start from scratch. The wife doesn't like the speakers, wants them to disappear. Maybe I am being lazy. lol
                    You havent answered my questions.
                    Im giving you options.
                    1. Replace the speakers with low voltage light. Its going to be very difficult to get decent illumination from 5 low volt lights.. which currently have single gang boxes in the walls and over the mantle.. with no real place for a switch.

2. Take down the fan, open that fake beam, install 120v 6" wafers, set the color temp you like.. close the beam, and reinstall the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Maybe you could remove the speakers, tie on some regular wire to one end of the speaker wire, and pull it through. Replace the speaker wire with wire for regular lights and go from there.
                      Not a chance, except a slim "maybe" for the speaker above the mantle

Comment

It would be easier to take the fan down.. add track lighting down the center of the beam.. each direction.. then add all the LED track heads you want. Aim them where you want, put the fan back up.
                        Replace the speaker locations with blank plates..
                        Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 06-22-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                          You havent answered my questions.
                          Im giving you options.
                          1. Replace the speakers with low voltage light. Its going to be very difficult to get decent illumination from 5 low volt lights.. which currently have single gang boxes in the walls and over the mantle.. with no real place for a switch.

2. Take down the fan, open that fake beam, install 120v 6" wafers, set the color temp you like.. close the beam, and reinstall the fan.
                          Yes, I did not answer your questions, you asked too many questions that I had not considered. lol
                          Looks like it's time to add track lighting, it was in my thoughts, I just don't pay attention to what is "in" these days.

Comment

Working...
                          X