Hagerman Seg B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerman Seg B

Now that Seg A is history, all my fellow Seg B hog hunters can get excited. I need to do some scouting this weekend. I'm pumped.

Good luck all!

Comment

Yeah me too! Sounds like there was some good action. I got an email this morning from the refuge banning the hevi shot hog wild! Which was what i bought since it explicitly says "non toxic ". Go figure. So does anyone have any recommendations for lead free buckshot?
      Regardless, I'm still excited about the hunt, I'll have bow anyway, but my son wants to use shotgun so thought i would do both.

Comment

Good luck to all! I can't wait for Seg. A turkey hunt in April! Save some animals in Goode for me!

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
          I got an email this morning from the refuge banning the hevi shot hog wild!
          Did they give a reason for that?

Comment

Yeah, said will testing it that it showed to have lead content. Not sure why they supposedly tested it, and curious if they tested ang other brands?!?! If the company sells it as lead free non toxic shot, i don't see how or why it wouldn't pass.

Comment

That email was from the Friends of Hagerman, not the refuge. I'm in the same boat even though I have decided to hunt mostly archery. If it is true, the refuge needs to send out a email.

Comment

Technically you're right. It was FOH, but they are hand in hand with one another on refuge info. I don't see them putting that out without the refuge being aware of it. I'm curious what lead them to "test" it and why now after one segment is over? This should have been done prior to any hunt if they thought there was a problem.

Comment

I checked my emails and every notification I've ever received came from FOH, including hunt notification and updates concerning hunts. Most were signed by the refuge manager. So i feel like it's legit.

Comment

so no lead slugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                      so no lead slugs?
                      From the Hagerman website:

Regulations
                      Only lead free, non-toxic (steel, bismuth, copper or tungsten) bullets, slugs, or 00 buckshot may be used and possessed while hunting feral hogs on the Refuge.

Comment

A friend of mine contacted Hevi-Shot about the question of their product containing lead. They adamantly said it doesn't contain lead and they would contact the Refuge. My guess is that the device used by the refuge makes assumptions of the type of metal based on density. I would give this some time to pan-out.
                        Last edited by sharpb; 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpb View Post
                          A friend of mine contacted Hevi-Shot about the question of their product containing lead. They adamantly said it doesn't contain lead and they would contact the Refuge. My guess is that the device used by the refuge makes assumptions of the type of metal based on density. I would give this some time to pan-out.
                          I just sent an email also. I'll share a response with y'all when I get it.

Comment

Between me and my 2 friends we have 30 boxes of Hevi-shot (one of the guys went a little crazy) and it was all purchased for this hunt. I hope we can use it, spent a lot of time doing research and all signs pointed to this product being a legit option.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpb View Post
                              I just got off the phone with the Hagerman wildlife refuge office and as it was explained to me there were assumptions made based on the weight. It sounds like they understand there is some zinc in the hog wild which made them believe the only way they could obtain the weight was by adding lead. It also sounds like Hevi-Shot has already contacted the refuge. In my conversation I was told they were still working things out but to go ahead and plan to use the Hog Wild for the hunt.

I would find it very hard to believe that there was any lead in the Hog Wild. It would be devistating for Hevi Shot to have a product advertised as non toxic to contain lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X