How to help my daughter pick a bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to help my daughter pick a bow

Hey all, could use your help. My daughter is turning 10, and I'd really like for her to get into archery as a daddy-daughter bonding activity--and selfishly I already love shooting and the outdoors so it would be a win-win! I only get her on Thursday nights and every other weekend, and I want our time together to mean something--more than iPad or TV time. I've tried very hard NOT to push her into it, though. She has expressed a lot of interest, and she loved doing archery at summer camps. We're going to a few stores tomorrow in Austin to try some bows.

So to the specifics. I've owned a Hoyt for a few years and just got a Mathews. I've only done target stuff, but I just got a membership at Austin Archery Club to shoot 3D outdoors, etc. and hope to learn enough to hunt by next season. Since I'm not super experienced I want to make sure I steer her in the right direction. I'd rather spend the money to get her a good bow that can grow with her instead of a cheapy one. I don't know what draw weight she can handle. She's a lefty, but she kicks a soccer ball right-handed (footed). Should I assume she'll need a left-handed bow or should we try both? Do stores stock lefty bows for kids? Should I look into lessons for both of us? I haven't found anyone locally...

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

My daughter has been shooting and hunting with a diamond edge for the last 3 years. It is adjustable for both draw length and weight. As for right or left hand, you will need to find out whether she is right eye or left eye dominant and go from there. Don't give up if she becomes disinterested along the way. Just be patient and she will probably come back around to it ( mine did ). Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

Best advice I can give....

Find out what her dominant eye is, and use that as theway to decide which handed bow she should get.

Allow her to pick the bow she likes best. Don't pick it for her. But give her some guidance in what model.

There are plenty of companies that make bows which go from 30-70# and 19-30" dl. I think that fits just about 99% of people who shoot a bow.

Just keep it light. Let her have fun. If she wants to get serious, lessons are a great thing. OR you could learn enoughto coach her yourself.

Comment

is there anyway you can get her into a 4-H archery club? that is what got me started as a kid and pretty much changed my life. I know it may not be much help on bows but was just a thought. It could be a good way to keep her interest up since she will make and have friends her age doing it

Comment

Let her try the bows. She will likely move more toward pink, but Bowtech just came out with a new Eva Shockey model (I think it is purple), she has a page on FB, along with Kendall Jones out of Lubbock (Tx. Tech). I'm betting Eva would love a photo of your daughter with her new bow to post on her site.

Important point in here is to let your daughter decide, it's not your bow you're buying for her.

Comment

there are several great youth model bows on the market, let her shoot them all at a shop
            my daughter loves her mission craze 17"to 30" 15 to 70lbs very versatile and she can grow with it, and my wife loves her Hoyt Ruckus 15 to 45lbs 18 to 28" draw, they are 2 totally different bows, serve same purpose , but they fill totally different in hand...need to find what bow is most comfortable for her, bowtec, diamond and Bear apprentice are all awesome beginner bows as well

Comment

Thanks so much for the great input, guys! It's a beautiful day, and I get to hang with my daughter. What could be better.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPistola View Post
                Thanks so much for the great input, guys! It's a beautiful day, and I get to hang with my daughter. What could be better.
                I would suggest a used Diamond Infinite Edge. You should be able to find one for 250.00 or so. It will grow with her and it's not too pricey. My daughter won her first 3 tournaments with hers and I knew she was going to stick with it and upgraded to a BT Carbon Rose. Good Luck and enjoy your time with your kiddo.

Comment

Thanks! I also found this article, which talks about some of the same things you all brought up. http://mathewsinc.com/21576/little-p...-into-archery/

Comment

You pay shipping and if want, I have a 3 pin Tru-glow sight and a 4arrow quiver I'll give you for the daughter.

God Bless
                    Bish

Comment

Bish, that's amazing! Really generous my friend. Wow. I'll message you.

Comment

Bish, thanks again for offering to send the sight and quiver. To my surprise, she ended up liking a recurve because it was easier to pull, and she could shoot for a long time without getting tired. We may graduate to a compound after a while. But I really appreciate your kind offer--blew me away.

Comment

Most of the big name bow companies are making youth bows that can grow with her. My daughter is 13 and shoots a Mission Menace got her in to a 4h archery club and she loves it she also shlots SYWAT (shoot your way across Texas) and is 3rd in the state for her age and class she loves to shoot and shoots at least 4 days a week. Bow tech makes a Fuel some of our 4h kids shlot and hyot makes the Ignite most of our kids shoot the Mission Crazy. Good luck.

Comment

Just picked up my daughter a Infinite Edge. She loved it. Was even the right color (Mossy Oak Pink lol).

Comment

Working...
                            X