Mauser actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mauser actions

I have a handful of guns with 98 actions. One in particular is a 7mm08. I need to have the trigger and stock redone. Is it worth using the action or just buy a new gun ? I also have a wild cat that I will need to re barrel at some point because they no longer even make the brass I need anymore. I just don't want to spend the money on the 7mm if it is the same money as getting a new more accurate gun.
    Mike

Shoot yes its worth using the model 98 action. They are maybe the best ever made imo.

Comment

Mauser 98 actions are the most copied action out there, because they are the most reliable. I have several K98 from WWII and they still shoot flawlessly. I also have a interarms .243 those are made with a Mauser Bolt, best bolt gun ive ever shot. and I shoot alot

Comment

I would keep the old wildcat as is and leave it in the safe rather than building off the Mauser and buy a new gun.

If you like the 7mm-08 and the action, you can get a quality replacement trigger/safety for the action. This may require a smith to install given the action/stock. Many like the CRF of the Mausers, and they certainly have earned a reputation for reliability, so if you like the action stick with it. I would likely end up keeping it untrammeled and buy another on a 700/clone.

Comment

What caliber is it?

Comment

I have 30.06 , 7x57 , 7mm08 and .22 cheetah.
            7mm08 is going to get redone , 7x57 rebarreled . The cheetah is just paper weight now.

Comment

If it's not accurate, it's not the action' s fault. There are lots of mauser action based tack drivers out there. I have one I built, with a little help from a friend with a lathe, in 25-06 that will consistently shoot .75 MOA.

Comment

Before having the 7 x57 rebarreled do some shooting with it. I have one and its a great shooter. If you would rather sale I am interested.

Comment

My grandfather built the gun about 35 years ago. It has the old step down barrel on it. I shoot it plenty right now. Was thinking of changing calibers do to ammo selection. I have no desire to reload.

Comment

I built a 6.5x55 swede with my grandfather last year on mauser 98 vz 24 action. It's a shooter for sure. If you want a hunting rifle you can rebarrel for cheap and put it in a boyds stock for a reasonable amount.

Dollar for dollar you are better off selling the actions and buying new rifles. You can buy a savage, tikki or r700 sps for $500-600. And you can sell those mausers for $300, you will only be out $2-300

Its going to cost you $400 to rebarrel and chamber a mauser then $100 for a boyds stock plus gunsmithing if you don't want to fit the gun to the stock yourself.

Comment

Selling the actions is out of the question. All are guns my grandfather built. Might just redo one and get new 7mm08 for the wife.

Comment

Have a 7x57, best shooting gun I have ever had. Man that worked with my dad built it back in 1978 and it still shoots great, and it only cost me a $100 back then. Killed a truckload of deer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                          I have 30.06 , 7x57 , 7mm08 and .22 cheetah.
                          7mm08 is going to get redone , 7x57 rebarreled . The cheetah is just paper weight now.
                          Here is what I would recommend. Leave the barrels alone on the first 3, the 7x57 is a fine cartridge and ammo is still available for it. As far as the Cheetah, it can't even be rechambered for any commercial loading so your only option is rebarrel or reload. You will have a lot of choices on what caliber to rebarrel to since the bolt has a .473 head, the same as 243, 7-08, 30-06 ect. Changing the trigger and stock on any of them is an easy process.

Comment

timney adjustable drop in trigger, $200 worth every dime!
                            check out Boyd stocks, $100 and up

Comment

I have 3 built on 98 mauser actions and 1 built on a Springfield and they will all shoot well under 1" groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X