Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairfield Lake, A/S; drawn for Jan. 5-7!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairfield Lake, A/S; drawn for Jan. 5-7!

got email that I was drawn for this hunt in Jan.
    Applied for this place several times because of its success rate but never drawn.

Anyone ever hunted it or familiar with the area?

Yep. I've hunter it before. They'll take you to cattle panel and cedar branch blinds. Those are randomly assigned. If you are patient and sit for a while you will probably have an opportunity. I think it is the week prior to your hunt they have the youth hunt and they pre-bait those spots. The adult hunt isn't so lucky. Your allowed to bait on your own. There are a lot of deer in that park. If you see a spike, just verify, then check, then confirm that it doesn't have a split on both sides. You can't unpull the trigger. Every year guys get tickets for shooting little forkies.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

They stick you in a ground blind and tell you to only shoot one way, typical state park hunt don't expect much

Comment

I shot a 185" typical 12 pt on this hunt 3 years ago.

Not really, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
          Yep. I've hunter it before. They'll take you to cattle panel and cedar branch blinds. Those are randomly assigned. If you are patient and sit for a while you will probably have an opportunity. I think it is the week prior to your hunt they have the youth hunt and they pre-bait those spots. The adult hunt isn't so lucky. Your allowed to bait on your own. There are a lot of deer in that park. If you see a spike, just verify, then check, then confirm that it doesn't have a split on both sides. You can't unpull the trigger. Every year guys get tickets for shooting little forkies.

sounds typical for this one. I know there are a lot of deer over in nearby RC area, hopefully the same here.
          Did you have any actual success there?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post

I went with a buddy. He killed a deer and two hogs. While I was off helping him, I returned to my area and spooked a doe. There was ample opportunity. It's no gimme though.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              sounds typical for this one. I know there are a lot of deer over in nearby RC area, hopefully the same here.
              Definitely more deer around RC now, Fairfield SP used to be better/good 15-20 years ago now its really over run by hogs and the deer are many times fewer than years past, still some there just not great.

Comment

I drew last year. Dad and I each sat all day every day and I made it out with a yearling doe and a beast of a hog. Dad only saw one little buck.

The panel-and-brush blinds there aren't great. We brought pop-ups and set up a few feet away. If you go this route, spend some time thoroughly brushing in your pop-up. I thought I was brushed in pretty good but the deer still pegged me instantly.

Comment

Working...
                X