No announcement yet.

Teaching Young Ones Shot Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot for the offside shoulder. If deer is perfectly broadside it goes right on the close shoulder. Quartering away further back but aim for the opposite shoulder and the bullet has to go through the vitals or atleast into them from any decent angle. .

Comment

We started with a pig saddle mount, on a Primos trigger stick tripod.

Comment

I had my daughter shoot her first deer square in the shoulder. Had her line up the vertical crosshair with the front leg. She used a 7mm-08 with low recoil loads and drop the doe in her tracks. Bullet didn’t exit so the deer absorbed 100% of the energy from the bullet.

We are fortunate to have deer in the yard everyday so I took her out and sat against a tree and practiced using shooting sticks and aiming on live deer. I bought a snap cap for her rifle and also had her practice squeezing the trigger so she was comfortable and confident.

Comment

I have accra-swiss adapters on the hand guards on the AR's my boys shoot, so it's easy to mount to the tripod using that adapter to a camera fluid head ball mount... It's smooth as glass and tension adjustable... I tighten it up a bit when I use it for my AR-10 and it works really well for that too... It's a shooting system my boys can grow into, AND it takes up WAY less space in the blinds... Last year we were shooting out of a new style Krivoman and we had both boys and my wife in there all sitting comfortably... Almost always 3 people in the blind when shots taken... The Field Field pod made things a bit cramped with 3 but we still got it done... the straight up shooting tripod is a much better option for us...

Comment

Right in the middle of the shoulder. A LOT of the time if you tell them (goes for lots of grown ups too) right behind the shoulder...that turns into mid-body. Middle of the shoulder shots turn into short track jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh-Rat View Post
              Shoot for the offside shoulder. If deer is perfectly broadside it goes right on the close shoulder. Quartering away further back but aim for the opposite shoulder and the bullet has to go through the vitals or atleast into them from any decent angle. .
              X2, this. Easy to line this one up, and it is deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Brought'em View Post
                We use old hunting magazines and have the girls use a marker to put a dot where they would shoot. It also helps with teaching deer position, if they don't like the position they tell me why they did not mark it.
                X2, started doing this early age with my son and his Red Ryder BB Gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                  I am trying to figure out which is better for him
                  Just ask him which he likes the best. I think you are putting too much pressure on his dad. I like the idea of shooting the .22 and .223. Bought my wife a Youth Vanguard .223 they come in 1 in 9 twist now she loves it 3 DRT. https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...oads-for-deer/

Comment

I can't speak for the killing power of the 6.5 Grendel but I know a .243 shooting 100 grain softpoints will blow a hole through a big heavy bodied deers shoulder and come out the other side. So I'd tell him to shoot there. The reason being is shooting at a live target might shake him up a little. So if he's off just a little he's still going to hit vitals. Whether it's the neck or right behind the shoulder or a little high.

Comment

2/3 up body at leg…Mid shoulder for rifle. Disable the locomotion. I train mine repetatively with dot placement on game magazines and a pencil. Animals in file on a mountain at differing angles has been a good exercise.

1/3 up the leg to center mass for archery. Were not wholly there yet.

Comment

The main thing I have found is not to tell him he can kill the deer, my 10 year old is 7 for 8 on deer. His rifle is in a tripod and he looks at all of the deer thru his scope. If he knows he can kill it he gets jittery waiting for it to position. I tell him to aim and practice his kill shots on the deer he sees, then if it's a shooter I tell him to shoot it and he can get it done before the jitters set in.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post
                          Right above the elbow joint
                          Easy to see & dead deer

Simple and effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                            I have both the Bog Field Pod and the Death Grip. I am trying to figure out which is better for him
                            My 10 yr old daughter is 10/10 with the bog death grip. this includes a bobcat, 2 pigs 3 deeer a wildebeest a giraffe a crocodile and ostrich. giraffe and croc were both head shots at over 100 yrds. IT WORKS.

6.5 is a lot of gun for a 6 yr old. even on the bogs. there wont be recoil but there is a lot of repercussion. My suggesting would be some solid copper bullets in a 223.

Comment

As for shot placement middle of the shoulder. straight up the leg middle of the body. you have about 6-8" of forgiveness in any direction. remember he needs to keep those eyes open and watch the deer drop (even if it runs) in the scope.

And as stated above work on squeezing trigger vs pulling or jerking trigger.

I don't claim to be an expert but I'll my dad is. He was a firearms instructor in the army, for the SO where he worked for 30 yrs and has shot pistols, rifles and shotguns all competitively (shotguns on national circuits).

shooting my first few deer with a rifle we focused on breathing, squeezing the trigger, keeping my eyes open, not flinching/anticipating the shoot. We shot quiet guns without much recoil and I never missed at an early age. Have only lost 1 deer with a rifle in my life and I was trying to head shoot a doe at about 250 yrds. She lost a bottom jaw and made it to the neighbors property before I could recover her.
                              Last edited by JBJTX81; 09-24-2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Brought'em View Post
                                We use old hunting magazines and have the girls use a marker to put a dot where they would shoot. It also helps with teaching deer position, if they don't like the position they tell me why they did not mark it.
                                This is what we did. Then stopped marking and started shooting the pics with BB guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X