Apha gal syndrome: Tick Bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apha gal syndrome: Tick Bite

Anyone else have alpha gal syndrome? I had my first reaction back in January. Took me four-to-five episodes before I figured out what I have.
    Three-or-four hours after I eat (especially) beef, I have a severe, allergic reaction from head-to-toe. Turns out that it is from a bite by the Lone Star tick. This tick has the same sugar (a version of galactose) that is present in beef and (some) other animal meats, but is not present in humans. Being exposed to the sugar through the skin (parenterally) causes one to have develop an allergic reaction upon oral ingestion. The last reaction I had was life-threatening. Had to take epinephrine.
    So, I can no longer eat beef of any type. I can eat some cuts of pork, but not all. For example, I can't eat really red bacon, but I can eat a pork chop. I have had axis without a reaction. I've read that I shouldn't eat lamb.
    There are worse things that can happen to a person, but I sure miss ribeye steak.

Lyme disease is not the only reason to avoid ticks.

A friend of mine told me he had it a couple years ago. I haven't talked to him about it since. Will you have these reactions from now on, or will it eventually go away? I'm not a fan of chicken, fish, or pork, so I guess I would have to change my taste buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
      A friend of mine told me he had it a couple years ago. I haven't talked to him about it since. Will you have these reactions from now on, or will it eventually go away? I'm not a fan of chicken, fish, or pork, so I guess I would have to change my taste buds.
      Some people "outgrow" the allergy, but not most. I'll give it at least a year before I try beef again.

It also becomes an issue for some surgical procedures and medications that utilize beef-or-pork-derived components.

Comment

Seems I read something about a gal and some bug bites. But she was no alpha

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Seems I read something about a gal and some bug bites. But she was no alpha

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          I've had similar responses before. Everyone's a comedian.

Comment

I read about this a few years ago, and thought that would be one of the worst things that could ever happen to a person. I would be on a tick killing rampage.

At least you can still eat some types of meat, I guess I would be happy being able to eat axis.

Comment

Good buddy of mine, who is an avid outdoorsman, had this several years ago. Kicked his azz for a while because he was a big meat/taters guy. Had him on some meds and he did some major adjustments to his diet and he is doing very well now. Crazy stuff for sure.

Comment

It seems women over 40 get it, but I am not sure it has anything to do with ticks…Yet it rhymes with it…

Comment

It’s a crazy disease. I know a guy with it and he’s very limited in what he can eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                    It seems women over 40 get it, but I am not sure it has anything to do with ticks…Yet it rhymes with it…
                    Hear, Hear!!

Let this man speak.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      Good buddy of mine, who is an avid outdoorsman, had this several years ago. Kicked his azz for a while because he was a big meat/taters guy. Had him on some meds and he did some major adjustments to his diet and he is doing very well now. Crazy stuff for sure.
                      Are you saying that he outgrew the allergy?

Comment

That's rough, but at least there is some "red" meat you can eat! Axis is good, are you able to eat whitetail? Heck you might have a good excuse to hunt Nilgai and all sorts of exotics now if you have no reaction to those.

Since it's an allergy, are you able to build up an immunity to it like normal allergies? Expose yourself to really small amounts at first, and slowly build up over time until your body no longer reacts?

Comment

I'm sure sorry to hear you got that. I love beef and cannot imagine life without it. I think I would still raise cattle, though.

When I first heard about this I thought it was a joke and not true but I'm hearing more and more about it.

What was your allergic reaction, if you don't mind answering?

Comment

Sorry to hear your struggling with this issue.I have Lyme and Rocky mtn spotted fever I’ve developed some grain allergies.My mother has Lyme disease and has developed beef pork and shell fish allergies.I seem to be getting an upper hand on my diseases but they have almost killed me.Mine wore on me and gave me Addison’s disease which really turned ugly until we figure it out.If you continue to fight issues have your cortisol levels checked periodically.Da** ticks

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              That's rough, but at least there is some "red" meat you can eat! Axis is good, are you able to eat whitetail? Heck you might have a good excuse to hunt Nilgai and all sorts of exotics now if you have no reaction to those.

Since it's an allergy, are you able to build up an immunity to it like normal allergies? Expose yourself to really small amounts at first, and slowly build up over time until your body no longer reacts?
                              Nilgai? That's a great idea. Nilgai is the best venison I've ever had. I'm not sure, though, about its galactose content. I haven't tried whitetail since I developed this. But since I have axis on my little ranch I don't really care for whitetail these days. I've not read of anyone doing what you describe. It would be hard to determine an amount small enough to expose myself to as I have even had reactions to chicken (no galactose) that was cooked on the same griddle as beef.

Comment

Working...
                              X