Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
    That is an interesting statement, considering the early model ballistic silver tips and accubombs both got a bad rap for coming apart. Now we are saying that is a desirable characteristic?
    Yep. I want it hot and fast and just deep enough to trash all lungs and heart.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

My 25-06 seems to be killing everything I aim it at. But yes I know guys, especially STx/ Mexico guys who say you better shoot them with a cannon. I just don't see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        Seems like everyone one I know or hunt with thinks they need a magnum to kill a white tail, when did this become such a thing?

Most of the people I know get a large magnum then put the lightest projectiles offered in it. My opinion is to shoot a heavy projectiles out of any cartridge you use as long as you can get the desired velocity.

I’m a short action guy and I normally use the least amount of gun that I need to ethically kill with. Most kills are with .260/.308/6.5grendel/223.

Just a conversation starter...
        My 0.02 is this. since the 1850's they have been reinventing the wheel. If one gun did it all the manufactures would go broke. You could kill every animal on the planet with like 3 different ones.AKA .22 rimfire 7x57 mauser 30-30 winchester. Would I want to take on a charging cape buffalo with a .22 NO. I'll choose a 416 Rigby thank you.

Now it's fixing to get good cause where gonna here about the 8x57 mauser is better,etc. Look at what they used to kill elephants in Africa in the early 1900's.

Then comes the ballistic experts that will argue speed over mass. I'm in this group cause I like to use my 55 grain 22-250 going around 3900 FPS and can hit a soda can at 400 yards.

On the other side of the coin I don't leave the house without my 45 that shoots a slow dumb bullet.Go figure.
        Last edited by kwarw; 09-08-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I’ve always used 243,30/30 and recently 308.Imfind they are easier and cheaper to shoot.I have a few friends that get buck fever really bad and are horrible shots so they got magnums to be more forgiving on lethality.Funny it really hasn’t helped the big bullets just seem to zip through the guts faster,and now they flinch more when shooting.I’ve never owned a magnum but I did borrow a 257 mag on a hunt last year.Wow that thing shoots a 100 grain bullet super fast and straight a long way.I may pick one up if I find a deal on one.

Comment

Been shooting a 6mm for years. Always drops them.

Comment

Smells like magnum envy in here.

Comment

You can pick ANY caliber and it just a reinvention of that caliber.Take the 22-250 for example.It was a wildcat cartridge for years.They took a 250Savage case,necked it down to take a .224 bullet and pushed it to 4,000 fps! It is a laser beam and back in the day it was it. can it be improved on? Who knows you could go on and on about that one and the 220 swift guy will come in and swear it's better.
                Dude it's gun marketing. PERIOD.
                I hate recoil in a rifle and have a 742 Remington 30-06 that I have not shot in 19 years because of recoil. as far as I am concerned take what works for YOU.

A simple 270 would have been better than the 30-30 example earlier.Or 30-06. There is no need for a magnum in my opinion, however I have a partner that insets on his 7 MM mag! go figure. A big buck her weighs out at 195 dressed!

Comment

If you hunt where there is really thick brush like south Texas you might want atleast a 7mag so they don’t go more than 50ft. A lot of times the small caliber they run 50-200 yds and you might not find them or have a hell of a time trying especially at night. I likem laying in the sendero especially if I’m wearing my crocs. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    Yep. I want it hot and fast and just deep enough to trash all lungs and heart.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                    Honestly, that wasn't directed at you despite quoting your post. I know for the longest time those ballistic silver tips got bad press because they wouldn't hold together, but now bullets are built just so they will break apart (i.e. Berger's).

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I don’t feel like I NEED one…but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the hell out of shooting deer/pigs/antelope/aoudad with my .264 Mag. I love that rifle.

Plowing 180gr .300 Weatherbys into nilgai is pretty satisfying as well.

Magnums are just cooler….but I love my little .257 Rob too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is the perfect example of the laser beam I refer to. The .264 win is flat as a pancake to around 250 yards.Packs a whallop (not sure that's a word,rather a result) It works!! I grew up killing groundhogs in KY prepping for Viet Nam.we didn't shoot one under 300 yards for sport. Nam ended before I got old enough to go. Thank the lord/ I learned speed kills

Now come on with the 45-70 group LOL you guys have a say here TOO LOL I love this place.

Comment

Originally posted by kwarw View Post
                        There is the perfect example of the laser beam I refer to. The .264 win is flat as a pancake to around 250 yards.Packs a whallop (not sure that's a word,rather a result) It works!! I grew up killing groundhogs in KY prepping for Viet Nam.we didn't shoot one under 300 yards for sport. Nam ended before I got old enough to go. Thank the lord/ I learned speed kills

Now come on with the 45-70 group LOL you guys have a say here TOO LOL I love this place.

I went pig hunting last year because I was at deer camp by myself, and didn’t plan to shoot a deer so I took the .444 Marlin because I love that rifle too! Had 11 doe come out, and one was a real *******…she kept running the others off, laying them ears back, didn’t appear to have a fawn with her. I poked the rifle out the window “to look”, and she went to blowing and stomping…. I had to track that hussie 90 yards after she took a 240gr soft point through both lungs. Apparently 100lb doe isn’t always stout enough to make that bullet expand much, looked like a piece of 3/8” rebar went through her.

I got a laugh out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          If you hunt where there is really thick brush like south Texas you might want atleast a 7mag so they don’t go more than 50ft. A lot of times the small caliber they run 50-200 yds and you might not find them or have a hell of a time trying especially at night. I likem laying in the sendero especially if I’m wearing my crocs. Lol
                          Several years ago I asked Quattro Hindes, while he was tracking a bow shot deer, what caliber does he get called to track the most with his dogs. He said 7mm Mag without hesitation.

Last winter I asked his father, Roy, while he was tracking a bow shot deer what caliber gets him the most business. He replied "it used to be the 7mm mag but now it's the 6.5 Creedmore."

I found that pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            Several years ago I asked Quattro Hindes, while he was tracking a bow shot deer, what caliber does he get called to track the most with his dogs. He said 7mm Mag without hesitation.

Last winter I asked his father, Roy, while he was tracking a bow shot deer what caliber gets him the most business. He replied "it used to be the 7mm mag but now it's the 6.5 Creedmore."

Could it be that a lot of south Texas hunters use a 7mag now the 6.5 creed more is really popular? I think the 7 mag was the most popular round 20-30 years ago.

Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              Could it be that a lot of south Texas hunters use a 7mag now the 6.5 creed more is really popular? I think the 7 mag was the most popular round 20-30 years ago.

Just a thought

I think they both instill “over confidence”, for different reasons. Either way, the cartridge is not to blame.

I despise the 30-30 to this day, though I’ve never owned one. Seemed like when I was a kid, every time we had to go track a deer after dinner, it was shot with a 30-30. Also not likely the cartridges fault….still hate to see one in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post

It is interesting you mention this, because the property owner where I hunt in Colorado states the same thing about the 7mm mag when it comes to killing elk.

Comment

Working...
                                X