10mm vs 44mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
    This. Also, you’re going to want to file the front sight off so that when the bear takes that gun and shoves it up your kiester it won’t hurt as bad.
    :-))))))))

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
      Those two aren’t even close to the same league. Nothing wrong with a 10, but for grizzlies?…44 at minimum.
      Well there sure seems to be a bunch of people carrying one or the other of the 2 when in grizzly country so that is another reason I asked about these 2 calibers

Like someone else said, we are not talking about hunting a grizzly we are talking about trying to keep a grizzly from killing you

Lots of good points here, appreciate all of them

Comment

All you need is a 22

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
          Sir, please carry the 10mm with Underwood or Buffalo bore.

Fact is you don’t know how many shots you’ll get off at the bear and they can be on you fast. Even if you are on the ground that auto might save your life.

So I’m sure many might not like what I’m gonna type here but here goes. The 44 Mag is .429 compared to .40. The 44 mag firepower is more relevant with a hollow point or JSP than with a hardcast. If using hardcast, a hole is a hole in this situation and a hit or as many hits as you can get is the objective.

Watch this video and decide if you wanna face off like Wyatt Earp with one well placed shot.

Bear Charging Hunters Stopped Dead In Tracks - YouTube
          yup 2 guys .. shot 7 times ... i'd prefer the gun with 15rds and less recoil ... reminds me of elephant hunters . win some lose some ... if you don't stop him with those high power double barrel rifles , the elephant usually wins ... seen elephant charging videos ... and dang, i'll take the bear!!!

Comment

Believe it or not DAP bear spray is a great option easy to deploy, and works

Comment

Started carrying a 44 revolver and switched to 10mm. Lighter, faster to shoot on target with a follow up shot.
              Carry position is not to be overlooked, especially on an archery hunt. I like a grizzly tuff or man gear chest rig set off to the side a bit. Practice shooting while wearing it. Never had a gun fall out, no matter what I’m doing and I can sleep with it on if necessary
              I agree that the spray is a good choice as well plus you can use it on your hunting partner if they spook a nice bull.
              Last edited by Txtourist; 09-03-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Have a buddy bounce a tennis ball across the ground towards you from 20 yards. If you can hit it with a handgun your good to go. Then try to hit it with the spray. One will miss just about every time, the other will hit everytime

Comment

Make them “think” they have a fighting chance and do the same with a basketball.

Pretty good exercise though

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                    Have a buddy bounce a tennis ball across the ground towards you from 20 yards. If you can hit it with a handgun your good to go.
                    OK, so you are going to stand in front of me at 20 yards and bounce a tennis ball across the ground toward me, and I am going to shoot at the ball?

What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                      Have a buddy bounce a tennis ball across the ground towards you from 20 yards. If you can hit it with a handgun your good to go. Then try to hit it with the spray. One will miss just about every time, the other will hit everytime
                      There’s another thing one CANNOT overlook about bear spray. When the wind is blowing hard, that spray can end up working against you. I lived and worked in Montana enough to know just how hard the wind blows up there at times. The last thing you want is to be blinded by intense burning in your eyes and nose when a grizzly is trying to attack you.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                        OK, so you are going to stand in front of me at 20 yards and bounce a tennis ball across the ground toward me, and I am going to shoot at the ball?

What could possibly go wrong?
                        I didn’t say have a good buddy bounce the ball at you… jeez! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
                          There’s another thing one CANNOT overlook about bear spray. When the wind is blowing hard, that spray can end up working against you. I lived and worked in Montana enough to know just how hard the wind blows up there at times. The last thing you want is to be blinded by intense burning in your eyes and nose when a grizzly is trying to attack you.
                          I was badly mauled by a Mt lion so I can tell you first hand what I think is the best option. Just my opinion

Comment

Chances are, if you are charged from close distance by a Grizzly, you will not have time to draw, let alone be accurate in shot placement.
                            I posted earlier that I carry a 10mm in a chest holder because I at the very least want an opportunity to defend myself in a bad situation. Weight is also another factor to consider while carrying a backpack, binos, bow/rifle etc.. I also carry bear spray.
                            The problem we run into up here in Grizzly country is they have associated gunshots with downed game and a free meal. One of the most vulnerable times for an attack is when standing over your animal taking care of it in the field.
                            I am planning on elk hunting next month in a Grizzly inhabited part of our state and we will be hunting in pairs for safety reasons.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

44 mag

Comment

44 Mag over a 10 if I HAD to pick between the two. For me personally, a 500 Linebaugh would be my only pick! (Modified Ruger Blackhawk)

Comment

Working...
                                X