Help: Early August West Texas Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Early August West Texas Age?

We are having some disagreements between the lease members on the age of this buck. Some say 3, some say 4, some say 5. Not gonna say which group I fall into ha! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What county?

Comment

I'd say 3 or 4. Around post once our bucks hit 4 they start getting little kickers everywhere

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
        What county?

King county

Comment

4 1/2

Comment

I say 4

Comment

It's hard to tell age this time of year, from a game cam..... If you get to see him in the field it's easier to tell age in the summer. But he looks like a younger deer 3 maybe 4. But he could just be a skinny 5 year old. But he looks like a younger deer in those pics.

Comment

He looks like a 3 or 4 yo big bodied deer he has no back dip,very little brisket,long legs,hardly any belly bulge.A very sturdy looking fellow.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking 4 myself, but I do agree this time of year can be difficult on game cam.

Comment

He looks 4 to me also.

Comment

3-12 to 4

Comment

I’m gonna go against the grain. I personally like aging deer in the summer. They are all slinger and you can see small details that tell me real age.
                        I think this deer is closer to 7 than 4.
                        First even with a thin neck it still ties straight into the point of the brisket
                        Looking at his front feet he tends to sit back on his heels instead of on the tips of hooves
                        His hind qtr falls off quick, similar to the old men you see that have to wear suspenders to keep their pants up
                        His girth is full from shoulders thru flank even in the summer
                        The points of his shoulders stick way above his neck line
                        Looks to have a little sagging skin under his jaw
                        His beams are wavy, wavy antlers are pretty typical to post mature deer
                        I’ve seen a good number of mature west Tx deer, during summer most mature to post mature deer start to look younger once they get over the 6-7 yr range as their muscle tone starts to diminish, just like humans. Gives them a longer legged skinny look.
                        Just a few things I can see on that deer
                        Last edited by KactusKiller; 08-23-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I see a post mature deer. Look at those long hooves and his face. I hunt Kent County and he looks 6-7 to me.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

No doubt that buck is 5+. I’d bet a paycheck on it.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X