Capsule Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capsule Feeders

So... read most of the posts and understand that some love these and some kick them aside. We just acquired 2 500lb units. Filled them this weekend and was disappointed that corn seems to leak / fall out of the bottom where the top capsule meets the base. Seems like there is a gap where corn forces the plastic out. Not a major issue but disappointed and worried about insects and moisture now. Has anyone else had a similar problem. We tried tightening the bolts and loosening - no change. Almost seems like the mold is a bit off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
    So... read most of the posts and understand that some love these and some kick them aside. We just acquired 2 500lb units. Filled them this weekend and was disappointed that corn seems to leak / fall out of the bottom where the top capsule meets the base. Seems like there is a gap where corn forces the plastic out. Not a major issue but disappointed and worried about insects and moisture now. Has anyone else had a similar problem. We tried tightening the bolts and loosening - no change. Almost seems like the mold is a bit off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bad photo but leaking corn at the red line...
    Attached Files

Comment

There should be a metal band that goes around the two sections. Also pigs will work the metal band area. Haven’t had any problem with mine. If you don’t have the band you can always make one out of aluminum or some sort of material.

Comment

Also make sure the two pieces are aligned properly.

Comment

Capsules are too much trouble. I’m still trying to figure out how to keep mine running. Too many moving parts. If it wasn’t super cheap, I would go with a 600# all seasons stand and fill.

Comment

When I bought my place it had 2 capsule feeders on it.
            The 1st spin I was thinking to myself, it'll have to run for a minute to throw enough corn to hunt.

But then I cleaned the cup under the auger and tried it again. After the second test I was very happy with it.
            I've had one broke connector pin break in 6 years.
            I like them, they have worked great. Just have to keep the cup clean under the auger. The corn dust will cake up in there and prevent a good feed.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
              When I bought my place it had 2 capsule feeders on it.
              The 1st spin I was thinking to myself, it'll have to run for a minute to throw enough corn to hunt.

But then I cleaned the cup under the auger and tried it again. After the second test I was very happy with it.
              I've had one broke connector pin break in 6 years.
              I like them, they have worked great. Just have to keep the cup clean under the auger. The corn dust will cake up in there and prevent a good feed.
              Great info

Comment

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
                Bad photo but leaking corn at the red line...
                Never had an issue with mine leaking. Is it aligned right? Mine doesn't have the metal band either.

Comment

Need to replace augers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                    Need to replace augers as well.

Every two years or so. Never had leaks. Just cup clogged and augers getting ground down.

Comment

They will sometimes leak corn at that seam since the top half is a bit too big to seal tightly around the base (so its easier to put together I guess). But the hogs and deer will soon figure out that if you hit on the feeder corn will fall out and it becomes a major problem. Hogs will also chew on the plastic to get to the corn if the metal ring isn't on the feeder. To fix the auger problem, cut off 4" of the pvc pipe that goes around the auger to help with it not clogging.

We had 12 capsule feeders on our place and they were such a PITA we eventually threw them all away and went with ranch king and lamco. Hopefully yours will work better but just letting you know my experience with them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Had two. Both sucked.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

No chance I would run one of these. Nothing but issues, the design is poor

Comment

We bought my dad one about 6-7 years ago. Hes still running it. Had to replace the batteries a few times but other wise just minor stuff, but its still going. HTOWN is exactly right. He has to clean out the corn dust every once in a while to keep it throwing good. Hes 87 and its way easier for him to fill than one he has to climb a ladder. His has that metal band around the base though. Squirrels actually ate through the plastic one time. They actually sent him a new one with the bands. You might contact them about it.

Comment

The one I had was a POS so I sold it.

Comment

Working...
                              X