No announcement yet.

50 is the new 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter was asking what it feels like to be 51, I said no different from 40 or 30 or 25. I think she thinks I should say I ache all over and feel tired. Other than my long list of injuries, I don't really have any problems. If I would have stayed off of dirt bikes, when I was younger and avoided the other things that did damage, I would be doing pretty good. Even with all the injuries, I still get around pretty good, but it sure would be nice, if my left shoulder was not messed up, it's been messed up pretty badly since I was 19. Then both knees have been injured many times, tore up the cartilage in both knees when I was in school. Left knee got torn up three times while I was still in school, once I wiped out and ran something right through my left knee, dirt bike accident.
    Then I shattered my left knee when I was 36, if I remember correctly, because I was feeling better than I had since high school or before and decided that I really wanted to ride dirt bikes again. So I got another one, then eventually had what seemed like a minor accident that shattered my left knee, broke ribs and I think broke my left foot. That injury and the shoulder injury, are the two that cause me the most irritations on a regular basis. They don't slow me down much, just cause problems, I wish I did not have. If it was not for those two injuries, I would be doing great. Most of the time, those injuries don't cause me any form of problems. The shoulder injury, is really only a problem when I try to sleep, I can't lay on my left side or my shoulder will start to hurt after about five minutes. Then I also can't shoot my bow for more than about 20 minutes or my left shoulder will hurt, pretty severely. But again, I have been like this since I was 19.
    The leg and foot damage, limits my range of motion of my left knee, every once in a while causes some pain, but not really a problem. The plates and screws in my left leg I have to be careful with, such as kneeling down. If I kneel down on some small gravel or rocks, with my left knee and a rock or gravel puts pressure on a screw or plate in my left leg, it feels uncomfortable, it's hard to describe, just uncomfortable. Then I have one screw that goes all the way through the bone and sticks out about 1/4" out of the bone, the screws in my leg, look like wood screws, so they are nice and pointed. That one screw is down in the lower part of my shin, if I hit my left shin on something solid, with a good bit of force, which would normally hurt pretty good. It hurts a good bit more than normal, because that screw gets jammed into the muscle, that is over the end of that screw.
    None of these things have anything to do with age, but they make my life not as prefect as it could be. So when these multiple injuries cause me some form of a problem, my daughter or wife, like to comment on how I am getting old and worn out. I keep telling them I am just smashed up, beat up, not old yet. What parts of my body, I have not damaged do not have problems.
    I agree, when I was young, I thought 50 was very old, multiple people I knew were not very active at 50. But there were many of my family members that they looked old, but they still worked very hard, every day, way past 50. My great grandfather, worked hard every day, till he was 100 or 101. But then broke his hip, when he slipped on some ice. My grandmother and grandfather both worked all the time well up into their 80s, my mother's uncle, worked every day on the farm, till he was well up into his 70s or 80s, but then lung cancer got him. My mother still works a lot every day, she just turned 70. Still gets around great, but her husband, sits in a chair watching TV all day, he does good to get up and go to the kitchen and fix himself something to eat.
    There is a whole lot I want to do in my life, sitting around doing nothing is not in my plans anytime soon.

Comment

I’m 51 and can definitely tell the difference from when I was 30.
      I have more things and money than I did then, and life is more comfortable for sure. Physically I still do plenty just hurts a little more later on. I’m hoping to live another 30 or 40 yrs..... as long as I’m able to hunt and fish I’ll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I felt great at 50. Not so great at 67. Can't stop time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
          I'm 70 and I don't feel ancient, I feel more aches than I did at 50 and believe it or not, I've learned a whole lot since I was 50.

Obviously a slow learner. I’m 42 and already know everything.[emoji3]

Comment

Don't know about that. I'm 46 and feel like I got a bearing going out in every hinge. But 22 years in the patch will do that to you.

Comment

Like you did, your kids still think you are really old..... But happy birthday!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be 70 this year, and still backpacking deer and elk out of the mountains with my sons. 20 more years and I'll probably have to hang it up!!!

Comment

They say it’s not the years, it’s the miles.

Comment

Man, a couple years until I hit 50 and I feel like I am 70. The sins of my youth have caught up to me. :-)

Comment

Happy Birthday. I know how u feel. I turned 50 last April

Comment

HB!

At 61 I just have to go slower and understand I will hurt more. At 55 I was climbing at high altitudes. I've given that up. I could lose weight and still do it but the difference is not the ability, it's the recovery. One mountain excursion a year is what I have in me now. I think it would be a little different if I lived at a higher elevation. Recovery's the difference I notice over time. I'm sure ability will start to drop over the next decade. I can already tell I need to take decent slower to save my joints and the training regimen has had to lighten up some. But I'm still shooting for sheep and mountain goat tags. I used to think 65 was the top end for that. If I don't overdo the training I hope to extend that to 70. Glad you are all doing well. Keep moving forward, otherwise what's chasing you will eat you!

Comment

I'm 73 and still hunt about 2 or 3 days a week. I can hike with the best of them, 6 to 8 miles with out loosing a breath, but slower. I do feel the aches and pains on some days, but that is to be expected. I will be on a Javelina hunt in March, which I do every year.

Comment

All night long for me

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nugenix!

Comment

I always figured you were supposed to feel your 30's living when you got into your 60's, so far life hasn't disappointed!

Comment

Working...
                                X