R I P Evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R I P Evinrude

Owner BRP has discontinued Evinrude outboard engine and signed an agreement with Mercury Marine. Existing Evinrude warranties and orders will be honored.

Evinrude died when OMC went out of business..

Comment

That new Etec was nothing but an over priced boat anchor.

Comment

I always loved my old Evinrude motors in the past. My current Yamaha 4 stroke runs like a Cadillac, so I'm not too upset.

Comment

When I was a kid my dad had a 90 evinrude on a “ski/fish” boat. That motor ran like crazy. Have not heard much about the new ones. Sad to see another name in the industry disappear.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Wonder what “project ghost” is? A quiet 4 stroke engine like their competitors?

Comment

Man had an old OMC 70 Evenrude. I tried to kill it most the time and it just wouldnt die. Ran it real lean for a while and also full throttle 100% of the time and still kept going. Wasnt a huge fan of the oil injection but it worked

QUOTE=SETX_Insanity;14892609]Evinrude died when OMC went out of business..[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                Wonder what “project ghost” is? A quiet 4 stroke engine like their competitors?
                Electric.

Just kidding. It's integrating the motor into the boat so that there is more usable space. Basically an inboard pontoon.

Comment

When you can’t compete with the best, might as well give up.

Comment

So as an Etec owner, I wonder what this will do in regards to parts and warranty service? I know they say the will, but will they?

Comment

Easy to give a 10 year warranty on a engine when you stop producing it after a few years. Something is definitely off, they use covid as the reason but that is not true.

Comment

When I was a kid, most everyone in our family ran Mercury. Had one uncle who ran Evinrude... We used to kid him about when he went fishing because he would always fish upstream in the rivers... because he knew he would have to paddle back! Back in those days, OMC (Evinrude and Johnson) outboards had an awful reputation... In fact they were pretty good outboards for folks that would just crank 'em and go fishing or whatever... Trouble came in because those old outboards had too many "adjustments" that could be made to the fuel and electrical systems to "tune" them and folks just could not leave 'em alone...

Then when Mercury introduced the electronic ignition, that pretty much sunk OMC... (outboards), their inboard/in-out drives were the best for many years...

Comment

Maybe they are trying to help mercury out.

Comment

ETEC wrote that death certificate years ago

Comment

The old evinrude/Johnson motors were great. When omc filed chapter 11 in 2000 and bombardier took over that was the eventual death of Evinrude!

Comment

Working...
                              X