Built a bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built a bed

Needed a new bedframe, we had the same cheap one for 6 years. Back feels way better on this, and wife loves the look.
    Sides are 1x12 cedar, ends are 1x12 oak.
    Can't seem to upload pics, can text someone them to post. Will upload instructions later.

So looked around for some ideas first, and decided I really liked the castle joint for joining sides. It's essentially an interlocking bridle joint. You make a halving joint for the ends and sides to join, then in a larger peice (i used to 2x4s glued together) cut the diameter of the boards through the center. Bridle joints are similar in strength to mortise and tenon, however the weakness of a castle joint is separated ends with the grain running along the joint without much surface area. So to mitigate that, I purposely cut the support rails to butt up against the joint legs. I figured that would be enough to control end to end motion. I then did 3 2x6 peices that butted up against the ends, and one in the middle. I did a dado joint on top of them to fit a 2x3 to run the length of the bed. I used a pocket hole to secure the 2x3 and just screwed the end 2x6s to the ends. Then just got enough 1x3s to lay across the supports with 2 inch spacing between. Screwed them into the supports.

The long sides and supports are solid pieces/glued and screwed together. The end sides just slide in with effort and the center support and rails screw in. Since the sides are cedar it's pretty light broken down.

Comment

Heres pictures. You can see the in the picture where it's broken down for finish, how simple it is.
      I've gotta add, this has helped my back pain pretty much instantly, same mattress. New mattress is on the way, but this has been tremendous. Bill for the wood was only 250ish.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Hooverfb; 05-25-2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Working...
        X