Sandbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandbox

Anyone here have a large sandbox/pit for kids to play in? I’m making one that’s 27x10ft in my backyard for the kids to play in and am trying to figure Pros and cons of sand vs pea gravel.
    Any ideas/ experiences with them?

I have a 4x8 and used play sand and the pea gravel will not make a form and normal sand will not bind together.

How many kids you got to need a sand box that big?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha just two and one on the way right now. It will double as a fire pit and lounge area as well as a big sandbox.

Comment

Had them all the time for the kids, growing up. Used to make them 8'x8' with pressure treated 2x12", and sink a couple inches into the ground to stay in place.. Cats love them! Put down good weed mat, before you fill it. Used to dump all our used coffee grounds in them and mix up. The cats stay out after that. Great place to let them shoot fireworks on the 4th also.

Comment

Sand will have every cat in the neighborhood burying treasure in it. I’d go with gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Sand will have every cat in the neighborhood burying treasure in it. I’d go with gravel.
            Exactly! Pea gravel is what we did

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
              Exactly! Pea gravel is what we did
              That wouldn’t faze my cat. She poops in the rock driveway going to my shop !

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                That’s one of the issues I was wondering about.

Comment

Yea the cats in the sandbox are a particular problem we had and had to cover it everynight. Was only way to keep them from getting in it.

Comment

Dog will keep them out, also fox pee.

I built my son one 6’X8’ out of 2X10s with double weed cloth under, and used brick sand. It was the best however much I ever spent on “toys”.

Need a couple of these too.

Reeves International The Big Dig Sandbox Digger Excavator Crane with 360° Rotation with Base, Great for Sand, Dirt and Snow, Steel Outdoor Play Toy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WCI0..._R7bZEbQHG802F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dale, did you ever use a cover? Looking through all kinds of sites and everyone talks about needing covers. I’ve never even thought about a cover. Ha playgrounds and the beach don’t have covers.

Comment

I built a cover for ours.

Comment

Kiddy Cushion....be a lot less work on the front and back ends.

Comment

Just figure a way to cover it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s called a Sand box because it has Sand in it. Look at it like this you are 5. Would you rather play in sand where you can build roads and dig holes. Or set in a box full of little rocks ?

Comment

Working...
                              X