6mm questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6mm questions

In processes of working on researching the next rifle build. So looking at a 6mm cartridge of some sort. Looking for something to meet these criteria Cheap to shoot.
    Will be 100% reloaded for, factory stuff would be nice but not a requirement.
    1000 Yd max gun, may go farther but not really a requirement, range I have access to is only 1000 yds. Most shooting will be on steel between those distances.
    PRS Style of firearm, doesn't have to meet production criteria, will be a custom built rig probably WTO.
    Accurate, this needs to be a one hole gun with the right monkey behind the trigger, easy to load for would be a plus.
    So I have it narrowed down to the 6mm family, which I have narrowed down to 6 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher, 6 XC, 6 BR, 6 GT or 6x47 lapua.

This will not be a hunting gun, plan is a heavy range gun for ringing steel and thats it. Only hunting it will do is the occasional jack rabbit running across the range. So what would you guys run with that criteria?

Hope that 1000 yd range you’re talking about isn’t AMPC. They got shut down a few weeks back.

Comment

Man I have a 6mm creed but I don’t shoot steel with it. Only use it for varmint hunting. Awesome round and blows the coyotes up.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        Hope that 1000 yd range you’re talking about isn’t AMPC. They got shut down a few weeks back.
        No this is a private range.
        Originally posted by boh347 View Post
        Man I have a 6mm creed but I don’t shoot steel with it. Only use it for varmint hunting. Awesome round and blows the coyotes up.
        Nah I got a .204 for varmints. I will have the 7 mag for big stuff .270 for Texas stuff. A short action 6 of some sort for steel. And then my AR and .204 for the little stuff.

Not 100% sold on a six could go 6.5 or 7 mm of some sort as well in a short action of some sort.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd go 6.5 for the stated use you are designating that rifle for.

Comment

Google John Whidden that will be your answer. Straight 243 with alm 8 twist 105 berger is hard to beat

Comment

6Dasher

Comment

I agree with Blake. 6 Dasher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

6mm Creedmoor would be my pick.

Comment

dasher or the 6br ai...

Comment

6mm creed, high performance, feeds well, and you can buy brass for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                        6mm creed, high performance, feeds well, and you can buy brass for it.
                        You can find all the mentioned calibers brass pre made.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 6 cm and I’m shooting berger ammo it’s outstanding. Hell on coyotes and deer

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
                            Straight 243 with alm 8 twist 105 berger is hard to beat

This here. My last one was an absolute hammer running 105 Amaxs at 2950.

If you like to tinker with new things - 6GT

Then,

Dasher
                            6x47
                            XC in that order

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

The reason I'd stick with the Creedmoor or something similar is not only more economical for standard die sets and brass, some of the really overbore capacity rounds will likely eat a barrel in about 600 rounds. One of the criteria you specified was "cheap to shoot" The Grendel in a bolt gun might do it for you, too...

Comment

Working...
                              X