Anyone tried Berger hunting bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried Berger hunting bullets?

I have seen and heard of Berger bullets for years, mainly considered them to be long range target bullets. Well the other day, I found Midway had multiple 6.5 caliber Berger hunting bullets on sale. They are quite a bit cheaper than the Nosler Accubonds that I bought originally for my 6.5. Still think the Accubonds should do very well in my rifle, but have not finished developing a load for the gun yet. Found out after firing about 25 shots, that the ring bases were loose. I tightened the bases, then fired off five rounds and that was all the loads I had loaded for the gun. The last five shots looked like it has some very good potential with the Accubonds and I have had a lot of very good success with Nosler Ballistic Tips, which the Accubonds are based off of. Not really sure how the Accubonds compare to the Ballistic Tips, I would assume from what I have read, they should hold together a bit better and not expand as much. I have never had a Ballistic Tip blow up, but I have had many expand very rapidly and do a lot of damage to whatever I shot. I have been very impressed with them over the years.

So I found some Berger VLD Hunting bullets and Elite Hunting bullets, both 140 gr. 6.5 caliber, on sale. So I bought them, they come in 100 count boxes, instead of Nolser's 50 count boxes. I have not finished developing my round with the Accubonds at this point and only have 20 left. So the 100 count boxes for quite a bit less than 100 Accubonds, I like. But I am not sold on these bullets yet. I have not shot them. Obviously they have a higher ballistic coefficient, than the Noslers, which typically have a high ballistic coefficient for hunting bullets. But because of the shape of the bullets and the ogive, I am not sure how close to the rifling I am going to be able to get these bullets and still have them feed in the magazine. I may not be a big deal, but there may be problems. On the Accubonds, I have them seated way out of the case, to get them .030" from the rifling lands. I know by the time I get the Bergers close to the rifling lands, the overall length is going to be very long, not sure if they will feed in the magazine at that point.

Then the other thing, is these bullets, the main reason I have stayed away from them in the past, is they look like target bullets with a small hollow point, that is mostly closed up. I have only tried target bullets once for hunting. I shot a buck through the heart with some Sierra Match Kings years ago, out of my 7mm Rem. Mag.. The bullet made a tiny hole in and a tiny hole out, virtually no blood. The deer ran about 60 yards or do, the nose dived into the mud, then did a back flip, when his antlers got stuck in the mud. Had I not been able to see that deer run from the point it was hit to where it dropped, it likely would have taken a while to find that deer. So looking at the Bergers, I can't help but remember what happened that one time many years ago, looks very similar on the outside, more so the front end. It's hard to believe they will reliably expand. But Berger claims they will shed 40% to 80% of their weight once they get inside a animal. Basically blow up, but keep the base in tact, would be my guess. If they work like Berger claims, they should be interesting. I still look at them and see a target bullet. Hopefully they have the design worked out where they do reliably expand. Man the BC numbers for these bullets are pretty interesting. I would sure like to use these to hunt mule deer, but I would hate to have one hit and not expand much at all, then make a small exit wound.

I need to get another powder scale, my Dillon died two weeks ago, after about 28 years. So once I get a new scale, I want to work on developing some loads for these bullets. Probably mainly use the Elite Hunters, it says bullet seating depth is not critical with that bullet design. But punching holes in paper is one thing, how they perform in a deer or other critter is another thing. It would be great if they are very accurate in my gun and expand reliably and can get them to feed in the magazine, when seated to the proper depth.

Everything I’ve shot with them has dropped on the spot. That includes two bull elk. They dropped so hard they bounced when they hit the ground. They will damage a lot of meat depending on where the animal is hit. I either shoot in the neck or behind the shoulder. Expansion is definitely not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Everything I’ve shot with them has dropped on the spot. That includes two bull elk. They dropped so hard they bounced when they hit the ground. They will damage a lot of meat depending on where the animal is hit. I either shoot in the neck or behind the shoulder. Expansion is definitely not a problem.
      This - they are deadly.

Comment

You could have just left the title and saved the ramble but I can lend my .02 on them.

People have been killing animals with them for years. From what I see the most common shot is the high shoulder shot and when made correctly there is not a whole lot or any tracking needed. The “hunter” design is supposed to be more seating depth tolerant as you stated.

I can tell you the VLDs are not. I was running them out of a 260 and I was jumping them .090 before I saw some consistent grouping. This was also in an older barrel that had a lot of rounds through it.

Overall I think you will like the way the Berger’s shoot but as far as game performance I have not been able to test them in that capacity yet.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Bergers have given me the most BANG...FLOPS out of all the bullets I have reloaded. I was a nosler fan myself because load work up was very easy. Every gun I had shot them well. Then I moved to Bergers on my 7-08 and 308, and 7Mag. Havent had anything take more than 1 step. The 1 step was on a running deer and it was more of a long slide! Only been shooting bergers 2 seasons now. About to load some up for my 300 WSM.

Comment

Like already stated above, they are lethal. I have taken deer with the Berger VLD hunting bullets out of a 243, 6.5 CM, 308, & 300 WM, all with the same results. Also took one elk cow with the 308, and she took 4 short steps and dropped.

Comment

I shoot Berger 168 gr hunting vld in my 7 STW and they are very accurate and lethal.

Comment

For y'all that are getting bang-flops, where are you hitting the animal? Heart shots? High shoulder?

I shot Barnes for a number of years and didn't like the results so I made a switch back to partitions. Always assume the Berger's performed like the Barnes so I never considered them.

Don't get me wrong, the Barnes was accurate and it killed, but I have a hard time seeing blood and the Barnes left very little in the way of a blood trail. Generally speaking I aim in the traditional spot just above the elbow.

Comment

If you’re wanting an exit hole stick with the nosler bullets, other than the Berger’s never giving me an exit wound they’ve always done the job, if you’re looking for something else to try, the hammer bullets have been doing an excellent job also they just don’t have the higher bc’s as others.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                    If you’re wanting an exit hole stick with the nosler bullets, other than the Berger’s never giving me an exit wound they’ve always done the job, if you’re looking for something else to try, the hammer bullets have been doing an excellent job also they just don’t have the higher bc’s as others.

I agree 100%. I am 0-7 on exit wounds on deer sized animals out of my 6.5 PRC. This past weekend I shot two axis does and neither had an exit wound. The internal damage was significant.

Comment

Agree with 1longshot for the most part. Nosler partitions will nearly always exit, shot them for years. Berger's aren't known to exit, although I have had some exit with the 243 on behind the shoulder shots. I generally either take a high shoulder or dead on the shoulder shot.

One of those all energy dispersed inside the animal type things with Berger. They basically penetrate to inside the cavity and then detonate destroying the heart, lungs, etc. That has been my experience with them at least.

Comment

I’m very happy with them

Shooting a 140 gn for my 6.5 Creed, daughter using the 140 gn for her 7mm-08

My best 5 shot group with them is .375” at 100 yards.

I’m really lazy about taking pictures of my hunting trips.

They scrambled this boar pretty good. Actually went right in the ear hole, he went stiff and dropped on the spot. Exit through his cheek on the opposite side. Shot was about 90 yards.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                          This. I have not seen an exit on any game the same size or bigger than hill country whitetail. I shot them out of my .270 for a while, shot great but I just didn’t like not having two holes. I do however still shoot them out of my 7mag and they have dropped every elk and mule deer I’ve killed with it, but no exits. Entrails look like a bomb went off when cleaning. The 7mm 168’s did a number on the heart and lungs of my dads moose this past year.

All in all a great accurate deadly bullet, I just prefer an entrance and exit hole if there needs to be tracking.

Comment

I've shot them out of a 270 Wby mag and my 257 Wby mag. Both rounds performed flawlessly. But I had a couple not pass through out of my 257. But nothing ever took a step. They all dropped in their tracks. The 270 blew through every time and it was really messy.

Comment

Berger the only thing I will shoot

Comment

Working...
                              X